question about burn-in
Aug 20, 2002 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wagnerite

New Head-Fier
I got a set of HD600 as present a few years back. Never knew about the "burn-in" process, nor about headphone amps. If some of you guys/gals wouldn't mind, would you describe the burn-in pricess?

question two. I've been using the HD600 regularly, usually at 2-8 hours sessions (studying the Ring cycle) but not at loud level, i listen at "concert" or "live" level, or a bit louder if i'm tired. Is it too late to do the burn-in procedure?

Since i didn't find out about the amp requirement till recently, can you recommend an amp for it at the $350 level?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 20, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 5
burn in is basically what happens when you listen to your headphones after you get them. It is proven that headphones need some listening time to sound their best. Usually 50+ hours. There is a noticable difference between burned in and unburned in headphones. Since you've had your headphones for a while, they are completely burned in.

The meta42 sounds like it would work well. There are people on this board that will build them for you. They aren't too expensive either.

new headphones------------------------optimum sound

The middle area is burn in.

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 5
I agree with the previous post: If you've had your phones for a while, they're burnt in. When you first get the headphones, they sound pretty bad, so hooking them up and letting them play at moderately high volumes for a couple of days really opens them up and makes them sound much better.

With regard to an amp, look into the following (in no particlar order):

Musical Fidelity Xcan v2
Creek OBH-11SE
Headroom offerings (Little, etc)

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the advices.

Does it have to be continuous? my "burn-in" process was 2-8 hour sessions at medium volume approximately once or twice a week. shoudl i play them at moderate (louder then medium) levels for continuous period now? I suppose what i'm getting at is that if these headphones have memory effects similiar to those re-chargeable batteries. Dynamic level for headphone and charge level for battery. or am i just being paranoid
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 5
There is no set amount of time that you need to burn in your gear per session, you can leave them on for one hour or one week at a time. And it's also not on a curve, i.e. your burn-in gets more effective during the 12-24th hours than in the first two hours. Nor is it less effective if you only do it for short periods of time. It's basically the total number of hours that is important.

Taking time to burn a new pair of headphones in is important when you first get them, so you can loosen up the drivers and get them to settle in to the characteristics they will have for their useable life. Over time, the headphones will slowly change characteristics, but after a while, the drivers will loosen up to the point that additional burn in is unnecessary. For most headphones, this is at about the 100th hour of their use from new.

So, you have done nothing wrong, and you will not be able to get your headphones to sound better. Only a better amp, source, and interconnects will do that!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back