Question about Best Buy's special warranty thing
Mar 11, 2006 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KillerPotato

Head-Fier
I think I might buy an iPod video, and saw that amazon was having a sale on the 30gb version. However, I've heard good things from friends about Best Buy's special warranty thing that you can buy and get your iPod replaced should it ever stop working. I was wondering, however, how it works if your current dead iPod that you want to trade in is discontinued; do they just give you the most recent edition? Thats one of my main worries about jumping into the whole HDD iPod affair, with Apple coming out with a new model every couple months and me feeling the urge to spend money. Does anyone have any experience with BB's service, and how much extra is it?

I also have a bunch of BB gift cards that need to be used, so buying from them would be a plus even if the warranty service was a dud
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 7
I just bought a Zen Vision:M($300) at Best Buy and the 2 year extended warranty was $40. That seems like a lot of extra to spend but in the past I've saved myself a lot of money and headaches buying the extended warranties on things like wireless controllers, wet vacs, etc.

I have saved a few hundred dollars being able to simply return the item and most often just get it replaced. It will depend on the people that you deal with at the store and what's wrong with the item but I've always gotten my way(I've had to demand to speak to the manager before) and walked out with new stuff.

I think you would end up getting a new version iPod if your current model was discontinued. There is the risk of Best Buy wanting to have it repaired but I've never had that type of thing happen yet.

The last thing that I exchanged under an extended warranty was a Bissel wet vac...when I got to the store they were out of stock for the model so I ended up getting a better Hoover model and the girl helping me screwed up and gave me a $40 gift card because the Hoover was on sale for $40 less than what I originaly paid for the Bissel...extended warranty claims are supposed to be an even trade with no "refunds" no matter what the cost difference.-so I lucked out...better model and $40 for my troubles
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Haha, that sounds like a pretty good deal. I'll have to ask them about it at my specific store since they might have varying policies.

And one more thing: does the iPod video absolutely require service pack 2? I've had problems with sp2 in the past and am averse to installing it, so if it doesnt agree with it I may stick to going with a flash player of some sort.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Best Buy has two warranty plans, a repair plan and a replacement plan. The 2-year replacement plan provides you a non-expiring Best Buy credit for the amount you paid for the original device should it fail. If the device fails you call BB and they will send you a postage-paid mailing label. You send the unit in and then receive the credit in the mail a few weeks later. You can spend the credit on a new device or anything else you want. A lot of people have seen their units 'fail'
very_evil_smiley.gif
at the end of the two year period so they can always have the latest and greatest.

I once used the service on a player I bought from BB. Other than the fact that I didn't like waiting the few weeks for processing everything went smoothly and as advertised.

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 7
What I bought was a 2 year replacement plan. I looked at my booklet that they gave me and it does state-do not return the item to the store- and does give the phone no. to call. In the past I have always simply taken the item to the store to get a replacement. They've never told me that I had to call although it does give specific directions in the plan.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I bought the BB extended warrenty for my creative nomad zen xtra, and they've replaced it twice
biggrin.gif
. Good news is that it saved me tons of money in the long run, bad news is that im stuck with this old ass huge mp3 player. I still love it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back