question about banana connectors and sound quality.
Mar 14, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

byronyu

Head-Fier
Right now i use biwired monster unity audio speaker cables (http://www.ozenterprises.net/_unity/monsterlink.htm) to connect my Apogee Stage speakers to my Krell 400xi.

I'm considering getting another set of speaker cables to increase my guage, but i would need something like the Vampire SB connectors ( http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/Sp...nector_sb.html) to fit 2 banana plugs into each speaker post, on both the amp side and the speaker side.

I'm worried about the affect on the sound using the Vampire SB connectors, however. Can anyone comment on whether you think the Vampire SB connector would effect the sound detrimentally? Would i just be better sticking to using one set of speaker cables that have a better contact with the binding post than using 2 sets and having to use the adapter? I know that radioshack connector do affect the sound detrimentally.

thanks

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 9
All about having a good contact and why I would never consider a banana which depends on prssure to keep contact integirty (which means will relax over time under the continious stress of being under pressure) and why if anyone ever catches me using spring clips I ask you in public to hit me directly in my head with a baseball bat so maybe the jolt will bring me back to my senses
very_evil_smiley.gif

Binding posts and spades or barrier strips with spades then cranked down as tight as i am able to muster using a SERIOUS tool ! Gas tight ! Full contact and going no where in my life time even if there is an earthquake
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 9
I've read all those arguments too. well if you want to get into that there's also people who think there should be no difference b/w amplifiers. According to some ABX testing people haven't been able to tell the difference. DO you believe that too?

I know that with my speakers, which buzz at 50 hz and below, will buzz louder with some speaker cable and not with others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
There should be no audible difference in sound quality between banana plugs, spades, bare wire or Radio Shack connectors, let alone detrimental. Either the wire makes contact and transfers the signal or it doesn't. The gauge should also not matter unless you are doing very long runs.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I've read all those arguments too. well if you want to get into that there's also people who think there should be no difference b/w amplifiers.

apples and oranges.

All this needs is thought to see the reasoning.

A connection means what ? Attaching point A to point B and if there are any breaks or bad contact points that is a disconinuity and no other way about it.

Take a carefully chosen audio system and that system is only as good as the weakest link so extrapolating that to real world terms unless you have crap componants,in which case it makes no difference what you use,it is common sense to see the connection point right at every jack or post IS a potential weak spot.

And since this is a known fact it truly amazes me what folks allow as the choke point that everything must pass through then say "it really does not matter" while arguing in another thread which $500 amp sounds best !

Solid electrical contact does not just make good sonic sense but good electrical sense and if thos bananas are so good for a contact point how come you never see a house wired up using them ? Or a car ? Or a studio ?
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Banana plugs are ideal for situations where you are connecting and removing the wire often. Electrical test equipment often uses these, or will accept them. The fewer connections or transistions, the better. The best solution (in my opinion) is bare wire directly to the screw down terminals on the speakers. A little solder on the bare wires helps them hold their form also.

To be honest with you, with my equipment and old Klipsch speakers, I probably wouldn't hear the difference.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

To be honest with you, with my equipment and old Klipsch speakers, I probably wouldn't hear the difference

Barrier strip speaker connector on the enclosure and barrier strips on the crossover network for connecting to the drivers.I also have vintage Klipsch for speakers
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
There should be no audible difference in sound quality between banana plugs, spades, bare wire or Radio Shack connectors, let alone detrimental. Either the wire makes contact and transfers the signal or it doesn't. The gauge should also not matter unless you are doing very long runs.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

How WELL the speaker wire makes contact with terminals is important. In order of best to worst:

1. Bare wire (silver might tarnish though and need to be cleaned)
2. Spades
3. Bananas

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 9
you could always pop open your speakers and amp and solder the wire directly!!!! good luck moving your system if you move though
tongue.gif

edit: YIKES post 666
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back