Question about Audio Aero CDP
Jun 15, 2004 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rockgolem

New Head-Fier
The type name is prima.

I'd like the buy it,could sb who can tell me about it?And what's its price?

Thanks!
etysmile.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 16
Hi, I have an AA Prima and there are a few others at head-fi who own or have heard this player and can comment about it.

I'm a bit confused though. From your post, it does not appear that you are interested in our impressions of how this player sounds, or how it compares to other players in the same general price range. I happen to love it, but I suppose I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't.

As for the price and where to purchase it, I think it now retails for about $2,200 if I recall correctly. Sometimes you can find a used one (like I did) at www.audiogon.com for around $1,600-$1,800. There are not any for sale at the moment (I've just done a search at Audiogon). You can also check their website at www.audioaero.com for a list of authorized dealers.

I'm assuming that you have heard this player and were impressed with it. Could you tell us more about that experience and the system you would be using it in?

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 16
i have many questions to ask,whereas i can't express them clearly,because of my bad english
etysmile.gif

I had not heard it beafore,and there are a few people in my city who own it or heard it .It's cost about 2000$ in my city currently,but last year it's only 1500$.It confused me.

The one i want to buy is a second-hand one,about 1000$,so cheap is it?But its inside is different of the pictures i saw in head-fi.It's only 1 circuit board ,but in head-fi ,i saw 3.Do you konw why they are not same in circuit?Different type?

My earphone is er4s.the next aim is dt880.I have 1 diy amp.

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 16
Audio Aero made the mistake of underpricing the Prima when it first came out. It was designed to be a lower cost alternative to their Capitole model (which has since been upgraded a couple of times). As I understand it, the market response for the Prima was so strong that they simply decided to increase the MSRP from $1,600 to $2,200. I may not be remembering all of the facts correctly, but this is essentially what happened. Again, at least as I understand it, they did not change anything about the Prima other than the price. If you can get one for $1,000 I'd strongly suggest that you do so. At least in terms of the market for a used Prima, this is a great price! There will be a million and one different opinions about what other players you should consider for $1,000 but you definitely won't find a better price for a Prima, which in my opinion is well worth it!

Jun 15, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 16
Sorry, I can't answer your question about the number of circuit boards. You should ask that question over at www.audiogon.com since a number of people over there own the Prima as well.

Head-fi member tom hankins also has (or had, I'm not sure) a Prima. Send him a PM to see if he can help.

Jun 15, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 16
Your suggestion made me firmly!I just went to the market and heard it.A warm voice,i like it!Mover i know the differences between old type:the new type prima has a balance out,and the new type's price in my local market is about 1800$.

Now,the only question is : don't you think it is too costly of my system?I only have 1 headphone and 1 diy amp.

Jun 15, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 16
Which headphone and headphone amp do you use?

Also, do you have a 2 channel system that you could use the Prima in? This is where I've found the Prima to really shine the most, and I rarely use it with headphones anymore. If what you are saying is that $1,800 is a lot to pay for a CD player, I think that very few people would argue with you!!! But the $1,000 used Prima (if you can still get it) seems like a much better deal.

To decide how much you can (or want) to spend on your source, you would need to put an overall budget together for your system and then determine how much of that budget you are willing to pay for the source, headphones, headphone amp, and cables. Again, you will find all sorts of opinions on this, but I'm in the camp that believes since it all starts with the source, this is where you can get the most improvement in your system.

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 16
My earphone is er4s.the next aim is dt880.I have 1 diy amp.

It seems i had no choice!Get it!

I don't have 2 channel system,but i'd like to use it for my headphone until i buy a pair of speaker.Could you tell me anything about your system?And what kind of cable adapt to Prima?

Jun 15, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Hey dude, you've got a private message. It seems that this is turning into more of a conversation than a thread, but if anyone else can help concerning the Prima, please chip in.

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 16
The newest Prima 24/192 players seem to have balanced conncections to go along with their increased price of $2200 retail. Also it has a secured face plate but seems to be no real change in design.
I have one that is 24/192 but without the balanced outputs and a removable faceplate, which is the ones that you see in the review by Soundstage from a few years ago.
The first Primas were not 24/192 and suppose to be not as good a performer as the 24/192 versions, personally have never seen an old one around anywhere before.
I also got some new tubes installed from Great Northern Sound (better known for Wadia mods), which are cryoed and selected for low noise. I must say that it did give my Prima a good nudge in performance especially in focus and some more dynamics, those old tubes really did have to go.
Right now, the Prima is still only a backup player though since the Audio Logic Dac outclasses it by a good amount especially in smoothness and fullness.

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 16
AC1, tell us about those tubes! What kind are they? I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other Prima guys who might want to give them a try as well.

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Alos thanks AC1 for the reply!

The same of wmcmanus,the interests of tubes are vehemance!Please tell us more about them!
etysmile.gif

About the balance out ,i think it's not the only reason effected he price ,beacaus the retail price between old and new type only 100$.The merchant told me the reason of increased price is exchange rate changed,although i don't believe him completly.

Do you think the feet of prima is a lacuna?One of prima owner told me it must be changed,it effect the bass'quality.Had you found that?

Moreover the guy who listend prima before tell me he prefer meridian507 and Linn Q????(i forget the name ,the lowest cdp of Linn)to prima .What do you think about it ?

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Sorry, I can't answer your question about the number of circuit boards. You should ask that question over at www.audiogon.com since a number of people over there own the Prima as well.

Head-fi member tom hankins also has (or had, I'm not sure) a Prima. Send him a PM to see if he can help.

I never had a Prima. I had the Capitole MKII. I've heard the prima and for $1K it is a good deal that you can always get your money back on. I can't remember ever seeing one that cheap.
At it's new price cost I prefer both the rega jupiter, and Shanling.

Jun 16, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockgolem
Alos thanks AC1 for the reply!

The same of wmcmanus,the interests of tubes are vehemance!Please tell us more about them!
etysmile.gif

About the balance out ,i think it's not the only reason effected he price ,beacaus the retail price between old and new type only 100$.The merchant told me the reason of increased price is exchange rate changed,although i don't believe him completly.

Do you think the feet of prima is a lacuna?One of prima owner told me it must be changed,it effect the bass'quality.Had you found that?

Moreover the guy who listend prima before tell me he prefer meridian507 and Linn Q????(i forget the name ,the lowest cdp of Linn)to prima .What do you think about it ?

The tubes are not really any special kind since they are just the replacement tubes that Great Northern Sound uses (don’t know if they are different to what I had, but I as I remember about the sub-miniature tubes, there really was not any different tubes to roll), though they are cryoed and selected for low noise. I believe a lot of the factor has to do with the tube I had being old, and noisy where their sound has degraded a bit. Probably the benefits would be far more minor if you had pretty good shape tubes already.

For the feet, I find it does benefit from using better isolation devices, though that is pretty much true for any cd player/dac etc.

Can’t really help you with comparing with the other players, never heard them, but I am sure each has it own pluses and minuses, just goes back to what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back