Question about an old pair of koss cans i found
Mar 20, 2006 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mgtitans17

Head-Fier
My dad has a descent stero that i think is from the early 90's or late 80's and under the stero case i found a pair of Koss SST/7 cans. Sorry but i cant show any pics but has anybody ever heard of these or ever used them before? They look pretty old but are in good condition and still work and im just wondering how much these cans would have cost brand new. They sounded very nice coming directly out of the stero but the plug is like 4x the size of a normal plug that goes into an ipod. I have no idea how i could get that to work on my ipod or out of my computer. Im sorry if this is the wrong section for this but i dont know where else to put it.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 9
by the by, Koss has a limetime warranty. Maybe you're still able to send them in 0_o

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

by the by, Koss has a limetime warranty. Maybe you're still able to send them in 0_o

don't do it.

The KOSS warrantee is a good one but they do not "fix" headphones they replace them and if yours are no longer made will be replaced with a model they feel is a good substitute.

the simple fix is one of these for $15 @ Headroom

0050090010_535.jpg

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 9
I own the SST/7. I'll take pics if anyone's interested.
But speaking of Vintage Koss, check out this monster.

100_0070.jpg

100_0073.jpg

The KO 727. No info on them exists on the internet, apparently. Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in buying these? I've been considering selling/trying to mod them.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
don't do it.

The KOSS warrantee is a good one but they do not "fix" headphones they replace them and if yours are no longer made will be replaced with a model they feel is a good substitute.

Sometimes they will repair headphones:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123263

The Pro-4AA's I sent in were re-released a few years back, but are no longer sold. I guess they must have had enough parts left to repair them, but I'm guessing if they don't stock the parts or don't think it's worth it to repair them, they'll just send a replacement.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Or, they'll just send them back, period - with a note stating that out of the hundreds of phones with their lifetime guarantee, yours is not on the list.

That happened recently with my Pro-4X's (they got tired of repeating the letter "A" in the mid 80's). Guess I will try to re-build them myself. The foam dissolved, and unfortunately for that model, the foam practically held the cans on.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 9
my advice would be

[size=x-small]don't do it man ![/size]

biggrin.gif

the reason is plug combination mass vs. strength of the tiny little mini jack and when you combine the weight of a headphone cord to the size/weight of a full size plug then try to insert that into a very tiny and comparably weak jack you are looking for trouble.Eventually you connection will fail from the stress.

The "pig tail" from Grado (or others) eliminates the potential for destruction but easing the "pivot" right at the insertion pount and by having a length of cord beteeen the two connectors spreads out the weight over a distance greater than the former 2" span.

Just my opinion of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back