Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Sep 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #228 of 883
Quote:
Since I have heard 1 million Dolar system , my ears became platinum ears , even better than
My previous golden ears.
I do not know what you are talking about , but I know your golden ears can not notice your
Sr 007 mk 2 was defect.
I suggest you to go to ENT Doctor to check your hearing.

I routinely have listen-offs with all my fellow residents and win hands down as I am able to hear subtleties and nuances in the music that none of them could ever dream of hearing.

They say I have the best hearing of anyone who's ever lived at Shady Oaks.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #229 of 883
I think these arguments are fallacious.
We are all deluding ourselves that we have better hearing than anyone else.
Unless you work in the studio recording industry most of us don't listen critically to enough recorded music on a daily basis to be able to make firm judgements about the subtleties. Its all down to our perception
L3000.gif

" The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard Feynman

You have probably never heard of a guy called Dave Moulton
DAVID MOULTON is an audio engineer and producer, author, composer, educator and acoustician. With degrees in music from Bard College and the Juilliard School of Music (major studies with John Becker, Jacob Druckman, Emil Hauser and Vincent Persichetti), Moulton began working in audio in the late 1960s, founding Dondisound Studios in Red Hook, NY. 

You might find this article interesting from a recording/music perspective 
Hearing - Understanding how it all works. http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/194.html

If you want to train your ears the "listen better" he's developed a set of CD's for audio professionals to identify whats going on in recorded sound - Golden Ears http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

I routinely have listen-offs with all my fellow residents and win hands down as I am able to hear subtleties and nuances in the music that none of them could ever dream of hearing.

They say I have the best hearing of anyone who's ever lived at Shady Oaks.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #230 of 883
Quote:
SR-009 - Neutral
SR-007 - Slightly dark
HD800 - Bright

All measurements I've seen also generally confirm this

+1 on the 007/009 observation........don't know the hd800 well enough.

my DAC is a wadia 27ix which is very smooth (great impulse response at the expense of slight HF rolloff), back before impulse response measurements of DACs were the subject of audiophile reviews.

on the other hand, who knows how our HF hearing compares, particularly as we age?  maybe it would be bright to me if i were 18 again........

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #231 of 883
Quote:
Perhaps the 009 needs to be more carefully paired with the source than previously.
I have noticed that generally many newer DAC's are getting brighter and brighter.  It gives you the wow hifi factor when you first listen but soon sounds artificial especially when the source material is now so highly processed too. I think its all part of pushing the red book cd format to its limit with upsampling and filtering.  It all seems to be done to give the impression of greater detail.

This is certainly a factor and that's why it is such an utter pain to find good sources.  The few that aren't a complete pile of engineering fail all have some major limitations.  My MSB would never be considered bright but the output stage is a bit of fail.  It has excellent specs but one can do so much better with a discrete design.  Once the warranty runs out then that's probably what I'll do.  It wasn't cheap but cheap enough to mess with... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I do prefer darker sources such as the Audio Zone DAC-1 and the APL 3910 so my issues aren't source related.  The SR-007 is also more capable of picking up small source variations.  It will easily tell you if the coax digital cable is 75ohms or not... 
tongue.gif

With recordings this is a real problem too and especially with classical due to the often heavy use of compression.  Many of the instruments have real bite too them but its all compressed to hell and back to become "inoffensive" while maintaining the detail.  One of the JM Lab discs had a nice comparison to show just how bad the effect is. 

Quote:
SR-009 - Neutral
SR-007 - Slightly dark
HD800 - Bright

All measurements I've seen also generally confirm this

Well the measurements aren't nearly comprehensive enough to pickup everything and I'm not sure about that list.  If the HD800 is bright then what are Grado, razorblades in your ears?   

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #234 of 883
Hmm.. Well i'm 63 in January, so my hearing cant be in too bad nic for my age 
wink_face.gif

I have found the HD800 particularly bright and tried all sorts of solutions but failed so far.  I think i'm just [size=small]serseptable[/size][size=small] [/size][size=small]to anything with a hightened top end [/size]
I wish I was 18 again 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
on the other hand, who knows how our HF hearing compares, particularly as we age?  maybe it would be bright to me if i were 18 again........

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #235 of 883
Quote:
I think these arguments are fallacious.
We are all deluding ourselves that we have better hearing than anyone else.
Unless you work in the studio recording industry most of us don't listen critically to enough recorded music on a daily basis to be able to make firm judgements about the subtleties. Its all down to our perception
L3000.gif

" The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard Feynman

You have probably never heard of a guy called Dave Moulton
DAVID MOULTON is an audio engineer and producer, author, composer, educator and acoustician. With degrees in music from Bard College and the Juilliard School of Music (major studies with John Becker, Jacob Druckman, Emil Hauser and Vincent Persichetti), Moulton began working in audio in the late 1960s, founding Dondisound Studios in Red Hook, NY. 

You might find this article interesting from a recording/music perspective 
Hearing - Understanding how it all works. http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/194.html

If you want to train your ears the "listen better" he's developed a set of CD's for audio professionals to identify whats going on in recorded sound - Golden Ears http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

I am sorry to all my friend in Head Fi, that my answer is only specially for Forbigger.
Because his statment under estimnate my experiance in Audio World , all of you can read his statement so arogan .

Before i use Headphone , i had High End Home Audio .
And i have still alot Home Audio friends to share and hear their experiance.

I think i will close this case with Forbigger  , i will never response again what he said

This Stax Sr 009 thread , please stay all with the Topic Sr 009 amp 

All of you can see me from the begining of Joint the Head fi for have more experiance in Headophones World and more friend not Enemy
I never wrote so offence to anybody , i want only sharing the truth what i heard.
Nobody is perfect

Cheers

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #236 of 883
Quote:
I think these arguments are fallacious etc

Poe's law in action.

Shady Oaks is a generic name for a retirement village.  The joke is that I am proud of being a golden ear but totally unaware that it is among those who are primarily deaf or hard of hearing.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #237 of 883
Lampizator seem to be progressing down this route but its quite costly several thousand Euro of the top of the range http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lampizator/welcome.html

They seem to be trying to do what Audio Note have already done.  Quite attracted to building one of their DAC kits with either tube or transformer output stages.  They are all the same basic design only the parts get better, and more costly as you go up the range 
http://www.audionotekits.com/
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/audionotekits.html

Another interesting DAC which is a totally discrete, ladder DAC using Vishay resistors is the TOTALDAC from France.   http://www.totaldac.com/
Designed and built by Vincent Brient, an electrical engineer, originally as a home project. It's claimed to be comparable to such as the Zanden which costs over 5 times

Quote:
This is certainly a factor and that's why it is such an utter pain to find good sources.  The few that aren't a complete pile of engineering fail all have some major limitations.  My MSB would never be considered bright but the output stage is a bit of fail.  It has excellent specs but one can do so much better with a discrete design.  Once the warranty runs out then that's probably what I'll do.  It wasn't cheap but cheap enough to mess with... 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I do prefer darker sources such as the Audio Zone DAC-1 and the APL 3910 so my issues aren't source related.  The SR-007 is also more capable of picking up small source variations.  It will easily tell you if the coax digital cable is 75ohms or not... 
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #238 of 883
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote:
Poe's law in action.

Shady Oaks is a generic name for a retirement village.  The joke is that I am proud of being a golden ear but totally unaware that it is among those who are primarily deaf or hard of hearing.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #240 of 883
Rudi, you are so much on my ignore list. You and your ridiculous comments. Its always been your aim to undermine other people setup by thinking your setup is the best. I have been trying to be patience with you for quite sometimes until you put up your previous post by saying that your setup is much better than the BHSE and I just cracked. Especially with no clear reasoning to back it. And you got guts to say 6 people or 4 people agreed with you on that.

I sensed that you are the kind of person who wanted to be look up into and wont let any people bettered you. Maybe that's the reason you got out from home audio too since there you got too many big fishes in the pond and you're just one small fishes that cannot be the "big brother" for all. In the headphone world (especially in our community) you think you could, so when someone come up with the supposedly better by public perception standard, you simply did you best to undermine his system by saying your system is the best one with all your ridiculous reasoning. 

If you're talking about arrogant, take a look at your self, "I have heard 45k CD player and 150k power amp, so i have the platinum ears (whatever this mean)". You call this a humble comments?

I'm here to make a friend too. Take a very good look at all my posts. Have i ever posted anything to offend anyone here? I don't have that many of posts so its easy to look.

As far as going ENT, I'm sure as hell wont take advise from the guy whom firmly believe that DRM is a system inserted by some company into every CDP/drive to reduce the sq of the music when it is ripped........

Don't bother replying because I wont be able to see your replies anymore.

And to the rest of the folks here, sorry for the derailing the thread a bit. I just gotta stand up to this guy......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back