Question about amps - Bithead VS Mini DAC VS Line Out
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I'm considering getting another non-portable Headroom amp in the future (maybe 6 months from now or so, gotta save!) and I just have a few questions concerning which one to get, as I'm having trouble deciding.

1) Mini Stack - These don't take up much space, and I can get the amp now, DAC later. How does the Mini DAC compare to using the Total Bithead as a preamp? I know the Bithead only supports 16 bit files, what formats does the Mini DAC support? I also like the optical option.

2) Desktop Amp - Very nice, I like the two choices of headphone output (1/4 and 1/8) but I don't need the preamp output just yet. If I get it with the DAC installed it gets a bit pricey, but cheaper than getting it with the mini DAC.

3) Millet Hybrid - I love the idea of tubes, and tinkering is something I love doing anyways. Besides, I've got a pair of Grado SR325is, and I hear they sound great with tubes. I'd probably be forced to run this off my Bithead for the time being, or out the outputs on a decent (but by no means audiophile-quality) Technics CD carousel. Would this hold back the sound more than would be worth it?

Pre-emptive thanks for all your input.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm planning to go with Headroom (as opposed to a smaller company) as I really like the engineering these guys put into their products. Plus top-notch customer service. I'd also prefer to get new rather than used, for personal reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back