question about alessandros...
Jun 13, 2005 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
So ... what goes on at the factory?

I mean do they buy SR125 and SR325s from Grado, and rework them into MS1 and MS2?... do they buy skid-loads of raw parts from Grado, tweek them and build them from scratch?

what is done to the drivers to flatten the mids? and de-tune that grado snarl? Is is a diaphragm replacement... or a coating added?

questions... questions....
I just want to make sure I tell people the right thing.

OR is that all a big covert secret between the grado and alessandro camps?

Garrett

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Grado makes them in their own factory. As far as what they do, I do not know, but Alessandro does not actually assemble or produce anything. They're just a special order that they buy from Grado.

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 7
I think it says a lot about Grado Labs that they allow another company to sell what is basically a tweaked design of their product. Honestly I don't think it's a good idea, but if they're ok with it...

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I think it says a lot about Grado Labs that they allow another company to sell what is basically a tweaked design of their product. Honestly I don't think it's a good idea, but if they're ok with it...

Agreed, but it also says alot about them when they force the MSRP of products in different countries much higher than in US...although whether or not that's for Alessandro promotion, I'm not sure.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 7
IIRC they put a metallic coating on the driver that changes the acoustic properties to suit "Musicians".

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 7
drivers are chosen and dB matched just like normal grado drivers, but then a 'destressing' solution is painted onto the diaphragms and left to dry. and that final treatment is all the difference.

i dont see how grado 'loses out' by having an 'oem' line like alessandro - they can only stand to earn more, which is the main point of any business. in general, people buy alessandros for different reasons then people buying grados - why only appeal to the 'exciting and bold sound' market when you can also reach out to the 'slightly dry signature and more-studio-like sound' crowd?
evil_smiley.gif

and for all those wags out there that disagree with grado's pricing policy - well, you are the consumer and final arbiter in the end. no one is forcing you to buy grado products.

the high-end headphone market is far more 'boutique' than you would care to imagine. i wonder how many vendors would be willing to stock grado headphones if they knew that they would then be thrown into a pricing war - with stock that even with pricing controls, is hard to move.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back