question about 220v units
Jan 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

leotnnz

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

I recently got a new amp which needs 220v input. since i have some other 220v input unit, my current idea is to connect a 220v surge protector to a step up transformer like this one ( Voltage converter, Voltage transformer, Step Down VOltage converter, step down voltage transformer, step up voltage converter ) and then plug all my units into the surge protector. Does it sound reasonable? any other recommended decent transformer unit or other suggestions? what i concern is if it is safe with a transformer and if this will influence the sound quality.
confused_face.gif

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 14
first of all, i would be very wary of those units you linked. a 5000 watt unit is not $175! more like 5 grand lol.

also a real 5000 watt unit or even a 1500 watt unit, the inverter makes a lot of noise.
i don't really know any other options other than to buy products rated for the mains in your country.

well, there is one viable option. the best option. have someone that knows how change the transformers inside the devices. i don't know what you got but that may cost more than what you paid for it. unless you know how to diy. if you aren't sure do not attempt it. that is very dangerous.

i am sorry to give you bad news.

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 14
music_man's idea is better. Have someone reconfigure inside of the unit.

Step up/down transformer like that WILL degrade sound quality quite bit for sure, I seen people doing that, and I did my self too. You will lost dynamic, sound will be drier, and loss sound stage at least. They may or may not make noise thought.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first of all, i would be very wary of those units you linked. a 5000 watt unit is not $175! more like 5 grand lol.

also a real 5000 watt unit or even a 1500 watt unit, the inverter makes a lot of noise.
i don't really know any other options other than to buy products rated for the mains in your country.

well, there is one viable option. the best option. have someone that knows how change the transformers inside the devices. i don't know what you got but that may cost more than what you paid for it. unless you know how to diy. if you aren't sure do not attempt it. that is very dangerous.

i am sorry to give you bad news.

music_man

still thanks, music_man,

since it is a gift from a friend and he made the mistake to order a 220v version instead of a 110v version, what i could do now is to figure out how to make it work. i know the transformer will give influence since i am major in physics. but i am still have no confidence to change the inside without a technique drawing of the amp.

what i need is just the 100w or 200w transformer. i guess it will not hum much,isn't it? so i still hope to get a decent build-quality one. if you have any idea of it , i will appreciate.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

music_man

5000 watts step-down transformer IS 5000 wats ... i got me 2000 wats for 50 bucks from Miami, and i can run a lot of 110v devices on 220v ... even some power tools ...

40 lbs transformer is a good size trannie for stepup-down unit ...

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 14
see if tripp lite makes one. if they do that will be good quality. 200 watts is not a big deal and shouldn't be too expensive. nor should 200 watts hum too loudly.

you do not need a schematic to replace the xformer. which is your best option. ac wires in, dc wires out. it is pretty simple. however, do not attempt that if you do not understand how to do it. as i said, it could prove very dangerous. both while working on it and when you use it.

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

see if tripp lite makes one. if they do that will be good quality. 200 watts is not a big deal and shouldn't be too expensive. nor should 200 watts hum too loudly.

you do not need a schematic to replace the xformer. which is your best option. ac wires in, dc wires out. it is pretty simple. however, do not attempt that if you do not understand how to do it. as i said, it could prove very dangerous. both while working on it and when you use it.

music_man

thanks.

maybe i will bring it the local tv/radio repair shop to let them make it for me.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

music_man

A transformer is NOT AC in DC out! It is AC in AC out just at a different voltage.

Most transformers have dual primaries so that the same transformer can be used for 220V application or 110V application. All you have to do is change the way the primaries are wired, series for 220V parallel for 110V. So if your device uses that type of transformer which it most likely does the fix is just a matter of changing how the primary is wired to the plug.

Oh forgot to add the disclaimer: Messing around with AC mains is no laughing matter if you do not know what you are doing don't mess with it. Things can go bad in a very big and dangerous way quickly. So please do not take the above as a suggestion that you should do the work yourself if you are not comfortable with it.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A transformer is NOT AC in DC out! It is AC in AC out just at a different voltage.

Most transformers have dual primaries so that the same transformer can be used for 220V application or 110V application. All you have to do is change the way the primaries are wired, series for 220V parallel for 110V. So if your device uses that type of transformer which it most likely does the fix is just a matter of changing how the primary is wired to the plug.

Oh forgot to add the disclaimer: Messing around with AC mains is no laughing matter if you do not know what you are doing don't mess with it. Things can go bad in a very big and dangerous way quickly. So please do not take the above as a suggestion that you should do the work yourself if you are not comfortable with it.

thanks.

is it reasonable to bring it to the tv repair shop to mod it?

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leotnnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks.

is it reasonable to bring it to the tv repair shop to mod it?

Never used a repair shop so not sure, but I would imagine one that is halfway decent should be able to do this.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

indeed, you are correct and i am wrong. i don't know why i am being so stupid lately. i know all this honestly. there are ac to dc xformers but not in what we are discussing here. you are also correct if you wire the primaries in parallel you wil get 110. if it is 220 then it should have dual primaries unless it is some funky chinese job.

i will also say, do not go messing with this stuff if you do not understand it! real bad stuff can happen. this is not something you take lightly!

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

there are ac to dc xformers but not in what we are discussing here.

Sorry I know this is OT but just want to clarify. There is no such thing as an AC to DC transformer. You may have an AC to DC transformer that has a builtin rectifier but then it is no longer just a transformer.

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Sorry I know this is OT but just want to clarify. There is no such thing as an AC to DC transformer. You may have an AC to DC transformer that has a builtin rectifier but then it is no longer just a transformer.

correct indeed. i was not speaking solely of the coil,windings(the proper meaning of transformer). i was meaning the entire psu. sorry i used misleading terminology. usually people refer to a "wallwart" around here as "the transformer". when in fact that wallwart contains a few more parts than just a wound coil. ie, the rectifier. which in itself is usually more than one part.

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back