Queer MiniDisc recording happenings ...
Jun 17, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Okay, well, after owning my JVC XM-R70 MiniDisc player/recorder for about a month, I've begun copying my CD collection to MD. I'm getting a few problems along the way. Most of them are probably due to my recorder and are corrected on a rewrite, but a couple are very persistent oddities. Let's see if anyone else has had these problems:

1. Pink Floyd's The Wall, disk one, goes ape **** on track six and higher. It cuts out the recording randomly at each track at or after "Mother," and sometimes also starts recording no-content tracks at that point, very rapidly. This does not happen with any other CD, and my disk does not appear to be scratched or anything. Playback in a CDP is fine. Playback via CDP-interconnect-MDP works fine too. Just the damn recording. I may just be cursed with this CD -- when I bought the album it had two copies of disk two and it took too much effort to get them to let me exchange it.

2. Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik writes the track divisions about 200-300ms late. Again, this is specific to this disk. It's not like that on the CD, as, for example, it is on Live's Throwing Copper. It's not much of a problem, really, since all the music gets on there anyway, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Okay, well, in the off chance that anyone's had the same problem ...

kerleybonto

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, it does the exact same thing every time, regardless of what I try with those two disks. I've tried single-track recording, full-album recording, synchro, manual stereo ... those things fix the errors on other recordings, but not on these two disks. I've only tried recording using a digital optial input/output so far ... maybe I'll give analog a try and see if that does anything.

If any of you MD users have either of the above two disks, give them a spin and let me know of they work for you. If they do I'll just throw my recorder at something and see if that fixes it.

kerelybonto

Jun 17, 2002 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Have you tried recording onto different discs?

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Yes, tried that too. The MD is not the problem either. ...

By the way, Magicthyse, you don't pronouce your name "Magic Thighs," do you?
wink.gif

kerelybonto

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Bah, I knew it. I tried recording from another source, and still no go, so it must be something with the CD or the CD/recorder combination. ...

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back