Queens of the Stone Age: Songs For The Deaf
Sep 7, 2002 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
is probably the best grunge album ever. As a 17 year old, elementary school years were spent listening to the seattle grunge era... then pop and nu-metal came a ruined the radio, and I have since moved on to classical, turning my back on rock radio. I think SFTD was made for people like me. Featuring Josh Homme and Dave Grohl (a grunge supergroup if I've ever heard of one) and fake radio call signs between songs (this is WKRDL spoiling music for everyone...) this CD is 14 blistering tracks of some of the best hard rock that I've ever heard. Really. This CD harkens back to the days when you could buy a Nirvana or STP CD and every track was worth listening to. A refreshing recording in the nearly stagnant rock scene.

Sep 7, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 14
You're 17????
eek.gif
God, I'm so OLD...
frown.gif

I don't like the fake radio stuff... it's funny the first time then it needs to go away and let the music rip. Otherwise great *post-grunge* (if there is such a category) album.

markl

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 14
I was waiting for this thread. I downloaded some ... samples, we'll call them, and was impressed. I was a bit wary when Tower called it "the hottest contender for Rock album of the year," thinking it would be like other current "rock" albums.

Now I'm just waiting a week for the upcoming birthday. ...

kerelybonto

Sep 8, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 14
KR...- I have the Kyuss and dwarves and lanagan albums... they're cool.

kerelybonto- this is real rock. This is not fake, mainstreamy bull.

markl- the fake radio stuff should be shorter, but that first time you hear it... it's great.

Sep 8, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 14
QOTSA is very cool stuff, I'm not as impressed as JB but is has a different sound that appeals to Tool/Sabbath (master of reality)
fans who like monsters slabs of deep throbbing bass and down tuned fuzzed out guitars, infinitely better than any crap in heavy rotation on MTV for sure. I have all three QOTSA so I must like them some.

The radio DJ interludes will get old fast, the second last one was very amusing with station WOMB and the dominatrix style female DJ giving us orders, but I guess this is a "road" CD just like there are road movies and we are after a certain atmosphere. Rob Zombie does similar connecting interludes from B grade horror flicks and other campy sources which work well.

The graphics on CD package are really lame and need some more work and thought, or professional help.....looks like an idea a band member had. The altered controls on car radio are amusing take-off on famous Spinal Tap scence with the 11 setting on Marshall amp.

BTW, Tower Records website has new CD on sale for $9.99

Sep 8, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 14
JB
Are you a fan of:
-monster magnet
-fu manchu
-orange goblin

I have a couple of best Cds for each group and I think QOTSA fans would be very receptive.

BTW, all this talk made me check some other groups out and I just ordered:
Atomic Bitchwax (1st CD)

This is some sort of spin-off from Monster Magnet, sounds good.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 14
Seconded -- this is easily their best album.

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 14
I bought this album today at a store called HOT POOP. Mine came with a dvd. We listened to the whole thing in the car while traveling. Very good stuff, but the volume is way off for use in the car. When I turned it up to hear the radio stuff we would get blow out of the car by the song.

Sep 27, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 14
As much as I like Songs for the Deaf, I still like R better.

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 14
I've been listening to this album non-stop (...until I got Up by Peter Gabriel, that is) -- easily the best thing they have ever done, simply superb from start to finish. Excellent, excellent album. They remind me of Live and Tool (except without all the prog pretentiousness and overblown psychedelia -- don't get me wrong, I like Tool, this is just ... different) in ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back