Quarter mod VS Bowls
Jun 1, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 12
bowls FTW. Mr Grado knows his products better than I do - I'll keep them stock.

I have tried every single pads available (I think), and none of them are what I would call "comfy" so I just bear the pain and listen to bowls now.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comfies are actually really comfy to me. I just got a pair of bowls to taste my liberators, but I am pretty afraid of pending discomfort. Oh well..the sacrifices we make for sq.

make things worse, I have 325i -> one of the most uncomfortable grados ever made. Sonic bliss is enough to overcome uncomfiness
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well comfort is fine to me I guess, I just want more soundstage.

Soundstage won't change much at all. still very "in your head" sound.

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make things worse, I have 325i -> one of the most uncomfortable grados ever made. Sonic bliss is enough to overcome uncomfiness
wink.gif

I hear ya- my SR80s are very comfy to me (with bowls, of course) but the added weight of the (heavy metal \m/ !!) 325is means I have to massage my ears every half hour or so. Oh well, c'est la vie and all that.
smily_headphones1.gif

To the OP, yeah, get bowls. They're the true Grado pad, and what made me pony up for the SR80s over the SR60s in the first place.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I have tried every single pads available (I think), and none of them are what I would call "comfy" so I just bear the pain and listen to bowls now.

Certainly agree, he knows better and if I'm not wrong, he prefers to use his RS-1's with the bowls, of course
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 12
I like 225's with bowls, and 80's with quarter modded senn' 414 yellow pads.......and not the other way around.

The 225 sounds bad with 414 pads, and the 80 gets too airy with bowls.
Everyones different.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Do you and Mr. Grado have the same ears/head? Interesting concept...

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm going to be contrary to what someone else before me posted, and state that the bowls will indeed give you more soundstage, albeit at the expense of bass and immediacy. Additionally, the increased space of the larger pads gives you more detail, as if detail benefits from more breathing room.

Me, I have a pair of SR125s on which I've put the superbowl pads offered with the GS1000, and I love the soundstate and detail while feeling the bass is adequate. Don't be afraid to experiment. Only your ears can tell you what sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back