Quantify difference between HD595 and HD600
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

milkweg

Banned
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Posts
2,840
Likes
15
In money. How much difference in monetary terms will I hear between my current HD595 and a possible upgrade to HD600? If it is only $50.00 or less then I don't consider it a worthwhile upgrade because the HD600 will cost me $400.00 CAD on top of what I have already spent on HD595. Only people who have gone from HD595 to HD600 are qualified to make the comparison so no guesstimates from non owners, please.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 14

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
I've owned the HD595 and HD580. It would help others in the comparison if you made it known what amp you may be using or if not amping. I preferred the HD595 unamped and the HD580 amped. I think if well amped, most would prefer the HD600. If you're not amping the HD595, I suggest a good move before buying the HD600 would be to buy an amp.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 14

milkweg

Banned
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Posts
2,840
Likes
15
I have three amps but one are really stellar. EMU 0404, Audiolab 8000A and Onkyo 505. I'm now thinking of nixing the HD600 idea and going straight to HD650 because I will probably buy HD600 and then soon after want HD650. I think maybe I should just jump straight to HD650 and stop there and then work on a nice headphone amp. I will continue use to use EMU0404 as DAC though and have no intention of upgrading to a better one.

You didn't quantify difference in HD595 and HD600 fro me. HD580 will do as they are pretty much the same headphone as HD600.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 14

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
No quantifications. I tend to use headphones with whatever they sound best with (for me). And I found myself enjoying the HD595 mostly with jazz. I preferred the HD580 with a wider variety of music and with movies. I owned the HD650 too, but never amped it well enough to enjoy it more than either. I suspect you would prefer the HD650 to the HD600 with your equipment. Here is a thread that might interest you.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 14

silverrain

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
2,249
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the HD595 and HD580. It would help others in the comparison if you made it known what amp you may be using or if not amping. I preferred the HD595 unamped and the HD580 amped. I think if well amped, most would prefer the HD600. If you're not amping the HD595, I suggest a good move before buying the HD600 would be to buy an amp.


I agree.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 14

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Posts
8,496
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have three amps but one are really stellar. EMU 0404, Audiolab 8000A and Onkyo 505. I'm now thinking of nixing the HD600 idea and going straight to HD650 because I will probably buy HD600 and then soon after want HD650. I think maybe I should just jump straight to HD650 and stop there and then work on a nice headphone amp. I will continue use to use EMU0404 as DAC though and have no intention of upgrading to a better one.


Not everyone prefers the HD650 to the HD600 though. The HD600 is a sufficiently different headphone to the HD650 that it wouldn't be mad to own both.
tongue.gif
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 14

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
Moderator
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Posts
11,967
Likes
400
I feel that the 595's can not be considered in the same league as the HD6XX.

Originally the 595's were designed to be a "digital" headphone. Their soundstage is totally different and I feel they should not deceptively be put in between the 580's and the 600's.
They are a different animal.

OTOH - They are extremely comfortable.
 
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 14

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Posts
9,203
Likes
134
Milkweg,
Ive had the 595s and now have the hd600. The hd600 is a little blacker between notes and has a slightly richer bass and are less grainier than the hd595s. I like the hd600 much more. Also, I see you have an audiolab 8000a you say. I have that integrated(slightly modded) and the hd600s sound good with them

About the hd650 issue, Ive often wondered about this myself. Many headfiers like the hd600 more so it is not really sure that the hd650s will be better for you than the 600.
 
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 14

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Posts
3,862
Likes
349
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In money. How much difference in monetary terms will I hear between my current HD595 and a possible upgrade to HD600? If it is only $50.00 or less then I don't consider it a worthwhile upgrade because the HD600 will cost me $400.00 CAD on top of what I have already spent on HD595. Only people who have gone from HD595 to HD600 are qualified to make the comparison so no guesstimates from non owners, please.


I'm not sure if it's $45.48 difference. Just today, I tried some psytrance with the HD600 and I've heard as much as $124.99 difference! But at other times, I've heard the difference as low as $34.72.

I guess you could say that my perception of the monetary difference between HD595 and HD600 is about as stable as the US economy.
 
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 14

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Posts
2,007
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have three amps but one are really stellar. EMU 0404, Audiolab 8000A and Onkyo 505. I'm now thinking of nixing the HD600 idea and going straight to HD650 because I will probably buy HD600 and then soon after want HD650. I think maybe I should just jump straight to HD650 and stop there and then work on a nice headphone amp. I will continue use to use EMU0404 as DAC though and have no intention of upgrading to a better one.

You didn't quantify difference in HD595 and HD600 fro me. HD580 will do as they are pretty much the same headphone as HD600.



I like the HD 600 a lot more than my 595s and more than the 650s, though by a slimmer margin. The 600, for me, struck a great balance between the much talked about sennheiser laid-back and warm sound without sacrificing mids, trebs or detail.
 
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 14

milkweg

Banned
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Posts
2,840
Likes
15
Hmm, sounds like I really need to hear both HD600 and HD650 to decide for sure but that is impossible where I live. Buying both is out of the question. HD600 costs $200.00 less than HD650 so that helps my decision a lot. Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top