Quantcast: Head-fi demographics
Mar 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Just stumbled across an interesting website that claims to be able to track demographics of visitors to any place on the internet. A bit scary but of course I had to see what they say about Head-fi....

http://www.quantcast.com/head-fi.org

Certainly not accurate but interesting nonetheless. What's funny is that it doesn't report any users as "addicts", which I think most posting members should be called. They define addict as 30 or more visits per month...

I think the demographics are read as percentages of the average web demographics. I don't really doubt that we're at 468% of the average asian population. The 4% number on African-American visitation is a bit shocking though.

It's way askew though that 12at7 an 12au7 are our top keywords? What? From there though the list looks pretty accurate (maybe they just figure in the extreme rarity of a "word" like 12at7 to the score.)

Edit: Yeah that looks like the answer. A score of 300 would mean we were 3 times as likely to type 12at7 than an average user. 10925 must mean we're 109.25 times more likely. Fair enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 15
So more than 1/4 of head-fi are females? I think they're reading into team girl-fi too deeply. =]

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 15
i can't imagine there being more asians than caucasians here... that's impossible, pretty much every meet looks like 10 white dudes with 1 asian guy... and save a few south americans, i've seen very few users that aren't white/asian.

and wow... i hope that the majority of head-fi users aren't 4x older than me!

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 15
Interesting site...I entered one of my sites and it estimates my traffic at almost 8x smaller than it actually is. I might actually sign up and get that figure corrected as this seems to based all on Alexa data. With that I'd be very highly placed and can start running some high CPM ads!

--Illah

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 15
There's no way in the world this site could possibly have these stats on head-fi's members .... age groups, ethnicity, sex, children, .... it's impossible. We don't even have this information.

I find it troublesome that they're publishing these numbers as if they were real. They do have a couple of subtle disclaimers on the page, but with the graphs and the graphics, they're giving the appearance of authenticity. I'm assuming they're doing this to show what they are capable of (if they were fed the actual demographic info) because the numbers on this site are nothing but guesses as far as I can see.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Yeah . . . I can't even imagine how they can come up with this stuff. Tracing IPs and having information as to every single household's information? That's the only way this could be legitimate, in which case the fact that they have access to this information is beyond unethical.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 15
It does indeed not seem very genuine to me either. There is no way you would be able to check all those things.

I think it's mostly guessing based on subject etc.

Edit: I am sure it's just guessing. I tried dota-allstars (a UMS in warcraft III) and it showed that there are more female visitors and that a good part of them is older than 65. NO WAY

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the age demographic looks off too.

I agree. Head-fi is probably the "youngest" audio forum on the net and it say that most members are 55-65.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 15
A lot of you guys are misinterpreting the data. . . . When it says that we are 140 for males and 60 for females, that does not mean that females make up 30% of our membership. . . . It means that when compared to the average site, we have 40% more males and 40% fewer females.

Likewise with the age section -- as is expected, we have more than our share of old farts, but it doesn't mean that they make up the majority of our user base. By comparison, check out Stereophile: http://www.quantcast.com/forum.stereophile.com

This doesn't mean that 90% of their users are 65 or older -- it just means that they have far, far more 65+ members than the average website and far, far fewer of every other group. Since the average site probably has about five people in this age group, it's not very difficult to blow past this with just a few dozen members.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 15
I think it is more like a Head-Fi.org horoscope of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back