quality optical cable with hd1500
Mar 8, 2006 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tasso

New Head-Fier
I bought the philips hd1500 dolby headphone, it's included with a optical cable but is very tin.
Makes it a difference when i buy a new optical cable from lets say monstecable and then the thx one.
Can i hear some difference ore must i use the included optical cable

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 7
As long as it's glass then the results should be pretty similar. Cheap ones tend to be made of plastic and have nasty levels of jitter. Don't go crazy though, we're talking about digital signals here, not analogue ones.

I thought the HD1500 only had coaxial digital inputs?

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 7
A lot off people say that the hd1500 hase only coax, but i get a hd 1500 with optical in an out and also coax and spdif.
Mabey they have here in the netherlands different models i don't no.
But back to the optical cable, the one included is a plastic cable and very thin.
Do you think that ther is a differnce in dynamic with a different cable.
I like the sound from the philips a lot the bass is really impressive but mabey good it be a little beter

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasso
A lot off people say that the hd1500 hase only coax, but i get a hd 1500 with optical in an out and also coax and spdif.
Mabey they have here in the netherlands different models i don't no.

Interesting...

Is it the same with the HP1500?

Quote:

But back to the optical cable, the one included is a plastic cable and very thin.
Do you think that ther is a differnce in dynamic with a different cable.

The only difference will be in jitter levels, but that will affect sound quality, at least to some degree. My experience with cheap plastic toslinks is that they make things sound fake and muddy. But the difference between a $2 cable and a $20 cable is much greater than between a $20 cable and a $200 one (to me at least).

Quote:

I like the sound from the philips a lot the bass is really impressive but mabey good it be a little beter

The included headphone has rolled off frequency extremes, so the HD1500 amp uses bass boost to fix that. If you use a wired headphone you can pick one with a different frequency curve, but if you want to keep using the wireless ones about the only thing you can do is play around with an equaliser to tweak the sound.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't no if it's the same with the hp 1500.
This headphone is not in stores anymore here.
I think i buy myself a monstercable from 40 dollars and must here if there is a difference

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasso
I don't no if it's the same with the hp 1500.
This headphone is not in stores anymore here.
I think i buy myself a monstercable from 40 dollars and must here if there is a difference

You should be able to hear a difference, yes, just don't go crazy. It's not worth wasting hundreds of dollars on an optical cable.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 7
No i don't buy a cable from hondred of dollars.
But the monstercable from 40 dolar is for me enough.
I hope i here some difference, but now i here som cracks and sometimes the sound quits for 2 sec.
Van helsing quits a lot resident evil none

Users who are viewing this thread

Back