quality of your music collection?
Jul 1, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
You also need to learn and read about copyright issues it seems.

You learn something every day, do you maybe have any links by chance?
Thanks

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
You also need to learn and read about copyright issues it seems.

I would replace 'You' with 'Most of you'.
rolleyes.gif

If you wish to d/l for 'previewing' purposes, by all means do so, but please, buy the music if you enjoy it.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
I would replace 'You' with 'Most of you'.
rolleyes.gif

If you wish to d/l for 'previewing' purposes, by all means do so, but please, buy the music if you enjoy it.

Or all of 'US' for that matter.....

Going by law of any country we are all guilty of something..
No one is inocent..

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 60
Can you please tell me where I can BUY music?

Not as a CD please, I don't need the problems associated with this outdated storage method (no error correction, CDs need too much space etc.). The format should of course be lossless (e.g. flac or ape). If there is DRM it must be implemented in a way that I am not depending on the mercy of a single company when I might decide to change the OS or Player Software. It should be guaranteed that I can still play it back in ten or twenty years (or at least convert it to a different format then). The price should be fair for both sides. Given that artists earn only a few bucks on each CD and with the low costs of online distribution that means around 5 bucks for the equivalent of a CD.

What is the URL for that shop?

(I know this russian website, but the RIAA and such are not cooperating with them, so the artists get nothing from it)

I don't think we should turn this into a moral discussion about copyright, not that there is much moral left in copyright anyway...

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter
Can you please tell me where I can BUY music?

Not as a CD please, I don't need the problems associated with this outdated storage method (no error correction, CDs need too much space etc.). The format should of course be lossless (e.g. flac or ape). If there is DRM it must be implemented in a way that I am not depending on the mercy of a single company when I might decide to change the OS or Player Software. It should be guaranteed that I can still play it back in ten or twenty years (or at least convert it to a different format then). The price should be fair for both sides. Given that artists earn only a few bucks on each CD and with the low costs of online distribution that means around 5 bucks for the equivalent of a CD.

What is the URL for that shop?

(I know this russian website, but the RIAA and such are not cooperating with them, so the artists get nothing from it)

I don't think we should turn this into a moral discussion about copyright, not that there is much moral left in copyright anyway...

If you want lossless, you're going to need to buy the disc. I know of no online stores that offer music in lossless formats.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #36 of 60
There is one, www.musicgiants.com. The files are WMA Lossless. They sound great. They are DRM protected, but since they are lossless, you can just burn them to a CD if you want to import them into iTunes or some other program (as you could with ANY other service that used DRM). The selection is small now, but I talked to them, and it's about to get a LOT bigger.

Really the biggest downer is the $1.20 per track charge, but I have used it for a number of tracks that I knew I only wanted one or two cuts from a given album.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #37 of 60
I wouldn't download music in any format personally...I only trust my own rips.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #38 of 60
I played with several formats before I settled on 320K AAC. It just seemed like the best size/performance ratio for me. Allofmp3 allows for AAC downloads.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I wouldn't download music in any format personally...I only trust my own rips.

I like to download if I can get Lossless. The Grateful Dead have started offering some of their remastered releases in FLAC (and of course their concerts have traded freely and legally in SHN or FLAC for years).

But buying lossy-compressed music is a non-starter for me. I will stick to CDs.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #40 of 60
At the end of the day everybody has a choice..
If u want to 'hear' a track or an album, u can but the quality wont be good unless u buy the cd..

Thats why u have to pay for quality...
You dont have to pay for crap..

and as i said earlier half of the stuff that i have is not good quality, and now with my new findings those tracks are unlistenable for me..useless

But anyway, back to my question, whats a DAC and how can i improve my Pc sound system?
Im looking to buy a good sound card (any sugestions?) and maybe a DAC if i realise that i need it..
Thanks

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I played with several formats before I settled on 320K AAC. It just seemed like the best size/performance ratio for me. Allofmp3 allows for AAC downloads.

AllofMP3.com is not really a legal download site IMO.

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #42 of 60
Actually there are quite many high-quality EAC flac/ape rips on the net - unfortunately all illegal. My point was that there is actually no choice, at least as long as the music industry only wants to sell overpriced DRMed low quality stuff.
Sorry for the detour.

A DAC turns the digital audio data into an analogue audio signal, which can then (after some amplification) drive your headphones. You can find extensive information on the net (Google...). Every soundcard has one. Or you can use a seperate external DAC which is generally the more expensive option (with potentially higher quality).
How much are you willing to invest for your new setup?

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter
Actually there are quite many high-quality EAC flac/ape rips on the net - unfortunately all illegal. My point was that there is actually no choice, at least as long as the music industry only wants sells overpriced DRMed low quality stuff.
Sorry for the detour.

A DAC turns the digital audio data into an analogue audio signal, which can then (after some amplification) drive your headphones. You can find extensive information on the net (Google...). Every soundcard has one. Or you can use a seperate external DAC which is generally the more expensive option (with potentially higher quality).
How much are you willing to invest for your new setup?

Well it depends on the quality difference that i will get..
But lets say around £100=$160..?
Would that be 'enough'? i know its not enough but i think i should start with a smaller setup for now, see how that goes and then upgrade.
That way ill appreciate more the sound that im getting as i slowly progress.

I also will need quality cables for the whole thing..
The gear that i have is in my sig, but i dont want to listen to my ipod while im at home, would kinda beat the whole 'portable' idea.

I downloaded all the programs that i need to rip in quality format, FLAC, EAC, plugins, dbpoweramp, foobar2k and the rest.
Ill stay awake tonight and try to put into work all the new info i got today from you guys..

Head-Fi has become my new 'home' where i spend a lot of time while im online..
Trully a nice society, and i love music so much..
icon10.gif

Thanks for the site guys.

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #44 of 60
Maybe you can start with an EMU 0404 or 1212m and use the Porta Corda as amp?

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #45 of 60
If I have apple lossless from itunes do I still need FLAC since they are both lossless? Or is itunes not as good or something...

and is there a way to make current songs that i have in bad quality better? like 128 to 192, or to lossless etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back