Quality minisystem vs components
Sep 13, 2001 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nicke2323

New Head-Fier
Crossposted to Headwize ...

I'm considering replacing my 4-year old SONY component system with something newer, better sounding and preferably smaller.

Are the CD players in the newest quality minisystems (such as Denon D-M30 or Yamaha Pianocraft MCR-E100) approaching good components (such as Denon DCM-370)?

Or rephrased - would I be stupid to use a minisystem CD player instead of a component player with my HD600 and recently ordered Corda?

Finally - which minisystem should I choose?

Sep 13, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 4
nicke2323: There are a few companies that produce high qualitiy minisystems - you already named two of them. But there is also Onkyo and TEAC. My order of preference would be: 1. TEAC (you have to see these minisystems yourself - their build quality is convincing even me!), 2. Denon (fairly good minisystem stuff for years), 3. Yamaha & Onkyo (good, but maybe better avoid the extra small Onkyo stuff...). Rank 4 with ok stuff would be Technics and Sony for me.... Oh, and I forgot one thing: NAD's not quite so mini system, which is of unquestionable quality, but expensive, too.

Greetings from SF!

Manfred / lini

Sep 13, 2001 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 4
how would a Teac 300 or 500 compare to a budget cdp like a Marantz cd4000 or a Denon 370?

Sep 13, 2001 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

NAD's not quite so mini system, which is of unquestionable quality, but expensive, too.

Although I've seen it for around $500, which is comparable with many of the Denon and TEAC systems (but better, IMO).

Also, I saw a couple of the TEAC systems and wasn't impressed -- I much preferred the Denon DM3 and DM5. Are the TEAC systems in Europe different, lini?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back