Quality japanese music?
Apr 29, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 12
Ymer,

Do you mean Enka (see description here)? If so, then the site that I linked should get you off to a good start.

However, if you mean something like 300-year old operatic works played on a shamisen (or other traditional instrument), then you might actually have some luck with Amazon (example).

D.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I guess recommending video game music is off limits too.
tongue.gif

But what are you specifically going for?

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 12
How about some drumming music? The old OndeKoza recordings are quite enjoyable, a nice blend between traditional and new, try their "Dotou Banri" if you can get hold of one. I think they are now known as Kodo.

Cheers,
W

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Not that I have anything against anime, games... can't say the same for Jpop, but still
biggrin.gif

But yeah, nice suggestions. I wanted to be really broad, I want to know more japanese music.

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 12
May I suggest visiting www.projectj.net

The site has a huge amount of information of all kinds of music from many different group in Japan today. I don't know exactly how to categorize J-pop, but I think I understand what kind of sound you're trying to avoid. There are a lot of song samples so you can see what fits your tastes! By the way, for some great rock check out B'z and the pillows which are my personal favorites. =)

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 12
I really like the japanese rap on DJ Krush albums... and Pizzicato Five is very good in a funny sort of way... but I suppose that is J-Pop
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 12
No J-pop? E.g. Kitaro (http://www.kitaro.net) is a famous Japanese multi-instrumentalist.

BTW: some anime soundtracks are very good and worth to listen.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 12
For Taiko drumming, maybe try a Kodo CD. like this one
I actually own it, and it's pretty good. Take a look and see what Amazon has to offer, they have a bunch listed. However, nothing beats live Taiko...

For something traditional yet somewhat Western, you could always try Yo-Yo Ma's "Japanese Melodies." I didn't see it listed at Amazon, but I own that one as well, and it's also quite good. As you can probably tell, it's Yo-Yo Ma playing Japanese melodies on cello, rather than traditional Japanese instruments.

Last, I would really recommend "Joy of Spring: Melody of Japan." It is listed for sale at Amazon.com (here ), however they don't provide any info on it, and their price is rather high at $19.99. It is a collection of traditional Japanese songs/melodies, the track names are listed at the amazon link I provided.

good luck.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 12
I ordered the following from Germany three weeks ago. I haven't received it yet (was e-mail today that in fact it is on its way). I liked the online sample tracks... Part of my interest in it is that it was recorded with tube equipment...
32.jpg

"Shinako Kikuchi invites us into a Japanese garden of the musical kind, landscaped in simplicity and clarity, but blooming in indescribable colours and emotions. It represents her personal selection from an abundance of songs by leading 20th century Japanese composers such as Kosaku Yamada and Yoshinao Nakada and ranges from folk and art songs to more modern pieces inspired by jazz and pop music. In spite of the variety in style, the blend of songs and their interpretation conveys a striking unity. Although the predominant mood is one of light, haunting melancholy, with a suggestion of mono no aware, the typical Japanese sadness of the transience of everything earthly, there is no lack of brightness and exuberance and always maintaining a graceful balance between exotic appeal and aesthetic elegance."

http://www.valve-hearts.de/en/info.p...yout=0&lang=en
http://www.valve-hearts.de/

JF

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I really like the japanese rap on DJ Krush albums... and Pizzicato Five is very good in a funny sort of way... but I suppose that is J-Pop
frown.gif

"a new stereophonic sound spectacular"...
biggrin.gif
. I also think Pizzicato Five is J-pop. The band broke up and Maki Nomiya released her own album...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back