Quality IEMs for the Sony A816
Nov 24, 2008 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nielo TM

100+ Head-Fier
I've made a thread earlier regarding the Sony EX300 and EX500, but after carrying out a through research, I've decided I'd be better off with other brands (primarily due to price vs performance and the lack of information regarding noise isolation).

Basically, I just need a pair of affordable IEMs with excellent isolation and sound quality within the budget of £30. I prefer the sound-quality to be (at least) on par with the supplied buds (MDR-EX082). Wider sound-stage would be a real bonus, but that's unlikely...right?

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to reading your replies

PS: I live in the UK btw ^-^

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 8
The only one in your list I'm familiar with is the sony EX32.
I bought these on impulse at target last spring. They are somewhat muffled/muddy sounding, But not horrible. Isolation on the EX32 is not great. If you can afford the ER6-i give them serious consideration.
Isolation on the ER6i is amazing, I prefer them to the SF3 & SE210 by a wide margin.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 8
I took a risk and ordered the Sony EX300 from Amazon for £30

I already use the AD700 with X-Fi XM at home, so I don't exactly need an expensive secondary headphone.

Anyway, I can always return it...I think

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 8
The EX500s are not bad. At 50 quid they are a little on the pricey side; the advertised frequency response is guff, and they don't sound substantially different from the more regular 20-20,000hz range. Ear fit is good. According to the Japanese review site Kakaku.com they are the number one headphones in terms of sales/positive reviews (that doesn't mean they are the best headphones in terms of absolute ratings though). In terms of cost performance many people prefer the EX300 and don't think the extra is worth it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 8
I've got the EX300 today, and well, the sound quality is subpar to the EX-082, especially in the mids and highs.

I'll try it for a week, and if the quality doesn't improve, I'll have to go with another model, or stick with my 082.

May 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 8
that's too bad

ex300 is not worth their price. So I don't even think of ex500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back