Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #226 of 458
well, amazingly they already responded, and told me they resolved the known lossless issue and will be releasing a new version within 2 weeks.  SWEET!   i think they may be sending it to me early.. will keep ya'll posted.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #227 of 458
i will deem this post the impressions post for the 3-d music player.  I will updte it as my impressions evolve.

these are VERY early impressions with literally less than 5 minutes of listening, and the inability to use most of my music due to the lossless incompatibility.
I'm using my klipsch s4.. so nothing fancy.

well the UI is excellent. it is absolutely identical to the standard ipod app with the exception of some of the colors - a huge plus.
the overall layout of the controls is also very good.. easy, fast, no nonsense.

the 3-D setting actually works fairly well. I could really see this being a cool feature.   i liken it to a simplified version of isone pro.  its neat sliding the surround level slider back and forth and hearing the sound widen and narrow respectively.

a few early niggles..
it has a 7 band eq, but the frequencies are set.. ex. 100, 160, 400, etc.. if they made them variable that would be MUCH better
you cant use the 3-D setting or the EQ at the same time.  each effect on this app is only usable on its own. 
when i put the 3-D setting on the volume increases, and i have noticed distortion in some songs.. definitely a buzz kill.

so after just a few minutes im going to say that i believe this app has some real potential. If the near instant response to my initial query was any indication i believe the devs are gonna be on the ball.  I remember how clunky the other eq apps were when they first hit the scene. I believe this company is going to improve this app and it could be a real competitor with equ and equalizer.  

so.. who else is gonna jump on the train!

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #228 of 458
@Br777: I'm interested in this 1, I'll wait a week or 2 to get it tho - the wife want's my head, since I just bought a few apps, including the "Atari Greatest Hits" game collection for $14.99,... 
atsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #229 of 458
I had a look at it on itunes, its quite pricey compared to the other apps and is still at an early stage. also I cant use 3D and equalizer at the same time.

I want to try it though.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #230 of 458

Quote:
I had a look at it on itunes, its quite pricey compared to the other apps and is still at an early stage. also I cant use 3D and equalizer at the same time.

I want to try it though.

It is the same price as the other two apps....$2.99. I'm happy with Equalizer, so I don't know if I will try this one or not.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #231 of 458
well until they send me the fixed flac support version i wont have much to really demo with. i have very little music that will play with this app so i will hold off on a proper evaluation until i can test with my full collection.

i made some suggestions to them as well.  I dont feel this app is up to snuff yet, but it could be if they put some focus on it.

i can say this for now:
the 3-D feature distorts the music if you turn the effect up too high.. that will need to be fixed
the 3-D feature also skews the frequency balance of the headphones, as most programs that do this sort of thing tend to do.  if they improve their eq and let you use it simultaneous to the 3-d that could help
the 3-D feature itself actually works fairly well, and certainly does take the sound away from your head a bit.  Tough much like isone pro my decision is often one of 6 one way half dozen the other..

in its current state i dont find this app usable.. but i feel they will improve it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #232 of 458
Could anyone comment on whether Equalizer (audioforge's app) supports retina display resolution? The screenshots in the itunes appstore appear to be low-res (i.e. visible pixels in the text used in within the app).

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #234 of 458

Quote:
Could anyone comment on whether Equalizer (audioforge's app) supports retina display resolution? The screenshots in the itunes appstore appear to be low-res (i.e. visible pixels in the text used in within the app).

Thanks.

I'm not seeing anything like that. Then again, I wouldn't care even if I did.....the app is about the sound, after all.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #236 of 458
After trying Equ, I must say that it's not nearly as precise as Equalizer. There's no way to set any of the parameters precisely, and there isn't even markings for the level--just the frequency. That's completely unhelpful because you'd have no idea how many dB's you've tweaked a parameter. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is omitted. It doesn't matter if you are coding this app for the general user or someone who knows something about DSP's, you do not purposely leave out such basic information from your equalizer.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #237 of 458
There is a little tag that pops up as you move the dot around the graph that shows dB and frequency. Have to say it isn't to helpful though as it is covered by my finger half the time and is really hard to be precise when it doesn't snap or anything.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #238 of 458

Quote:
After trying Equ, I must say that it's not nearly as precise as Equalizer. There's no way to set any of the parameters precisely, and there isn't even markings for the level--just the frequency. That's completely unhelpful because you'd have no idea how many dB's you've tweaked a parameter. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is omitted. It doesn't matter if you are coding this app for the general user or someone who knows something about DSP's, you do not purposely leave out such basic information from your equalizer.

Quote:
There is a little tag that pops up as you move the dot around the graph that shows dB and frequency. Have to say it isn't to helpful though as it is covered by my finger half the time and is really hard to be precise when it doesn't snap or anything.

this is why i always say that "equalizer" is the better of the two.  unless you have a stylus or very pointy fingers, getting anything precise out of "EQu" is just maddening.

overall i just like equalizer better anyway. i like its overall UI and usability, and it has become pretty darn stable to boot. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #239 of 458

Quote:

this is why i always say that "equalizer" is the better of the two.  unless you have a stylus or very pointy fingers, getting anything precise out of "EQu" is just maddening.

overall i just like equalizer better anyway. i like its overall UI and usability, and it has become pretty darn stable to boot. 

+1 on preferring Equalizer....as you might guess from reading my sig.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back