Quake! Come on, you know you loved it! And I mean Quake 1 and Team Fortress too
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RPB65

500+ Head-Fier
LOL. Am sat here reminiscing about my old clan playing nights of Quake 1. OMG! How awesome it was. I couldn't believe how my mates could remember all the maps and levels, etc. So daunting for ages for me.
Let me just say this, I thought I was an awesome player, however, I really was not. Like the saying goes, I was "a legend in my own mind!" Clan play made me realise how bad we all were apart from 2 of us, those 2 were proper good players.
Anyway, my mate and I both had ISDN lines installed with Diamond Cable as it was then (Virgin Media to all you young folk!)
So, we are talking 2 data lines installed, each was 64k and you could combine the 2 for 128k connection! We are talking the dogs bollox here! This connection for Quake 1 was just incredible. Use the Lightning gun or rocket launcher with Quad and you were just invincible. My monthly phone bills were £90 ***! 
Played for hours. When we both moved to a nightshift at work, we used to come home, go on PC and play until 10am. I'd have my missus nudging me to wake me up in the bloody chair! LOL
Great times, really good. Somehow CS and CS Source never had the same effect on me.
Then I got into TF too, WOW! That blew my socks off. 3DFX graphics card inserted and it was crazy good frame rates and quality.
Mind you i was an original camping sniping git. We had enough people to play team games every week, it was awesome.
Innotts versus Proweb it used to be. They were both internet service providers back in the day.
Ahhhh.........................
Pls share some memories of these great times!

May 21, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 6
My first PC gaming/semi-competitive (ladder based) memory is the original Rainbow Six. And I mean the ORIGINAL! Socom 1/2 were also lots of fun when the broadband adapter came to the PS4.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 6
LOL. Am sat here reminiscing about my old clan playing nights of Quake 1. OMG! How awesome it was. I couldn't believe how my mates could remember all the maps and levels, etc. So daunting for ages for me.
Let me just say this, I thought I was an awesome player, however, I really was not. Like the saying goes, I was "a legend in my own mind!" Clan play made me realise how bad we all were apart from 2 of us, those 2 were proper good players.
Anyway, my mate and I both had ISDN lines installed with Diamond Cable as it was then (Virgin Media to all you young folk!)
So, we are talking 2 data lines installed, each was 64k and you could combine the 2 for 128k connection! We are talking the dogs bollox here! This connection for Quake 1 was just incredible. Use the Lightning gun or rocket launcher with Quad and you were just invincible. My monthly phone bills were £90 ***!
Played for hours. When we both moved to a nightshift at work, we used to come home, go on PC and play until 10am. I'd have my missus nudging me to wake me up in the bloody chair! LOL
Great times, really good. Somehow CS and CS Source never had the same effect on me.
Then I got into TF too, WOW! That blew my socks off. 3DFX graphics card inserted and it was crazy good frame rates and quality.
Mind you i was an original camping sniping git. We had enough people to play team games every week, it was awesome.
Innotts versus Proweb it used to be. They were both internet service providers back in the day.
Ahhhh.........................
Pls share some memories of these great times!

Oh yes, those were the days :D

I played Quake 1, or actually Quakeworld, for ever and ever. I was decent at 4v4 clan play, but I was one of the top duelers and above all 2v2 players in my region (northern europe). Those crazy Swedes somehow always beat you though, the skill was just insane. I still wake up 15 years later, drenched in sweat, from nightmares about ParadokS shaft on dm6. He would always know when you were just a little bit unwary or desperate and corner you with something unconventional at that exact moment, and glue you to the *%#^* ceiling with his 50%+ shaft rate.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Quake player, checking in. There aren't a whole lot of us, are there...

Sadly, I missed QuakeWorld. Granted, I had bad internet at the time. I really started with Quake 2, but didn't get good until Quake 3 OSP. Those were the days, dueling 24/7. Loved it. Then real life forced me to take 10 or so years off, and man, I wish I didn't, I was so bad when I came back to QuakeLive. Took me years to get back to some semblance of form, but I never had time to play more than occasionally, so that's to be expected.

Now, Quake Champions is in beta, the big tourney is on, and I should be practicing. Instead, I'm working, like all the other old farts in gaming. Sigh. At least I get to see some of the people I play against on stream. I doubt I'm good enough to make it through the qualifiers anyway, but I hope to play a lot more when I have the time.

Quake Champions is fun. I think they nailed the core gameplay, and a lot of the design decisions they made with it are very smart. The various different characters have movement systems based on previous Quake games, so no matter when you came into the Quake series, you'll probably find characters you'll be comfortable with. And if you're new, now is as good a time as any to start. There are still some issues (beta is beta) and while I haven't played in a few weeks, the last time I did the wait times for games were pretty long. But if you have any interest in Quake, I'd definitely recommend it.

I hope it takes off and does well. I have my doubts, Quake is really unforgiving to newcomers and most people would rather go play a different game than tackle the stiff learning curve. But if they manage to get a good ranking system that matches skill levels well, and get the wait times down, it has a chance. I think there is a niche for difficult, uncompromising games, and the success of things like Dota 2 and Dark Souls shows that you don't need to simplify and cater to casuals to have a successful game. They just need to launch it right. If players trickle in 1 by 1, then they get matched against guys like me that have been playing for over a decade, and they don't have much fun. But if a lot of players come in all at once, then they get to play against each other, and their day 1 experience is great, it's basically what got us hooked on the game - 18-odd years ago? Has it really been that long? Time flies...

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I played Doom competitively in ladders... on Compuserve! Those were the days. Then I remember Quake came out and it blew me away. I remember playing the demo, at like 640x480 or some crappy res on my crappy system, and being mesmerized by the very simple act of walking underneath a bridge, that you could then walk over. (Doom was 2D and there was no way to make that sort of geometry on top of each other.) Then I remember going to college and playing massive games of Quake (forget which one) with the laserbeam grappling hook thing? I used that and the rocket launcher to great success... lots of fun games over my university's amazing ethernet connection which at that time was totally revolutionary to me anyways, coming from the modem I had at my parent's house in highschool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back