Quail group buy review thread
Oct 24, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #61 of 72
Quick review. It's 4 40 am and I'm listening to my music with these cans. Listening to Dido. Now I was blown away listening to Dido through cans for the first time and with these cables it's the same thing. I hear more defined instruments and clearer bass. I like using Dido as a benchie because of the hodgepodge of different sounds.

For the price I paid for these, I'm quite pleased. I did remove my ferrite cores btw.

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
anyone had any negative first impressions with the quails?

I'm sure its just a pre-burn in thing, but I put a couple pairs on my monoblocks in place of some generics and my systems balance has been thrown off as a result. Things are sounding a bit bright and like I might have some midrange suck out going on. Also, soundstage seemed bigger but imaging is sucking a bit so its kinda hollow-ish. Like listening to hi-fi in the cockpit of a plane or something...

I'm sure this will all resolve itself as these guys burn in, but I did find it interesting that everyone else seems to be posting very positive first impressions.

I have one plugged in with my music hall and i didn't notice any difference
eek.gif

Oh well, guess my ears cannot tell the difference between cables...man, am i lucky! More money to be spent on amps and source then!
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #64 of 72
Things are starting to come more into focus now (let them run in for more then 24 hours straight (sorry tubes!). I still get the feeling somethings a touch off, but its to a point I can enjoy listening again, so I'm not too worried.

Are you guys all taking the ferrite cores off? i'm curious as to why we orderd them with it if they seem to be universally disliked? Oh well--I'll be leaving mine on for the time being, atleast until these things have settled in.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Are you guys all taking the ferrite cores off? i'm curious as to why we orderd them with it if they seem to be universally disliked?

I have left mine on, as they are the main reason I bought the cables (my monitors are in an electrically noisy environment)

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Are you guys all taking the ferrite cores off? i'm curious as to why we orderd them with it if they seem to be universally disliked? Oh well--I'll be leaving mine on for the time being, at least until these things have settled in.

I've got mine on. If im not mistaken powercords from PS audio and Virtual Dynamics also have ferrites in their cables. The logic on having the ferrites when we ordered the cables were that its better to have them because if ever it isnt compatible with a specific system (like if there is no synergy or if it rolls of the highs), then the owner could just remove them.

Maybe you should burn them in by plugging it into your PC. I personally use this cables in all my computers at home.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #67 of 72
tortie,

I typically do burn in cables on my PC, but got a little anxious this time
smily_headphones1.gif
. I toyed around with my subwoofers x-over settings a bit and my system is sounding just about right at the moment. Its a bit peculiar I had to alter that to get things sounding just right again, but not complaints. The better PCs are in place, and should suffice for the time being until I can afford something a bit more esoteric for the monos.

thanks for organizing everything. It took a while, but no one can complain for the price we got!!

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #68 of 72
I finally got around to swaping out the stock power cords with the Quail cords from the 3rd Group Buy.

The cords are very well built. They plug into the outlet very snug, but easily. I think the clear, purple plugs would've been nicer from an asthetic standpoint, but the all-black does have a nice look.

I've never been a big believer in power cords, but I did try to do a rudimentary comparison of the Quail vs stock power cord. While I'd like to make some eloquent, flowery description of how everything sounds so much better, basically, I didn't notice any difference... I'm sure some will say it's because my ears and/or setup isn't "good enough", but I really don't care. I was only after good-quality, shielded cords, and that's exactly what I got
tongue.gif

BTW, the only part of my headphone system that can use the Quail is my VAC-1. Everything else uses a wall-wart or other 2-prong adapter. The rest of my Quail cords are powering my Raid-5 array and other computer items.

If you want a good-quality, shielded power cord that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage, I highly recommend these cords!
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

no one can complain for the price we got!!

total agree it, the cable builded well and the cost of this tweak is cheap. Thanks for whoever organizing this group buy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #70 of 72
finally I plugged my 4 Quail cords in my two rigs and did a minimum of critical listening using the last Gramophone "Editor's choice" CD. I used the cords for my CI DAC power supply and Prehead amp in my home rig, and for my Onix player and Woo 3 amp in my office rig.
I did not do any blind testing but I believe I could pick the difference with any well recorded classical cd in my home rig. There is definetely more air around the instruments and voices and it is easier to localize them in a crowded simphony orchestra or opera stage. On the minus side I felt, especially in the first few minutes, that the sound was a tad drier than with the stock cords. I guess what I am really hearing is a darker background that my brain interprets at the same time as better imaging and drier sound.
I am much less sure that I could pick the new cords from the old ones in my office setup but given the much noisier environment (both acoustically and electrically) I guess this is no surprise.
Thanks againg to tortie, strohmie and gioco for organizing this: I finally believe that power cords can make a (little) difference...

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

anyone had any negative first impressions with the quails?

I'm sure its just a pre-burn in thing, but I put a couple pairs on my monoblocks in place of some generics and my systems balance has been thrown off as a result. Things are sounding a bit bright and like I might have some midrange suck out going on. Also, soundstage seemed bigger but imaging is sucking a bit so its kinda hollow-ish. Like listening to hi-fi in the cockpit of a plane or something...

I'm sure this will all resolve itself as these guys burn in, but I did find it interesting that everyone else seems to be posting very positive first impressions.

I am not sure what you mean by "imaging is sucking a bit so its kinda hollow-ish" but I don't think I agree to that: as I just wrote imaging (which I define arbitrarily as the ability to localize a singer in a quintet or an oboe in an orchestra) for me improved with the Quails. I agree that soundstage is wider.
Concerning the tonal balance, you expressed much more eloquently what I heard and described as "drier sound". But after one hour or so my brain must have adapted because right now I don't find the sound dry at all. I should try and go back to the stock cords to see if I still hear the difference...

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #72 of 72
I think so was supposed to say soundstage. Sorry, should have proof read.

I also believe burn in/getting used to the new sounds has paid off and there has been a sense of balanced returned to my system. I don't know if I really hear an improvement in sound at this point and am kind of disinterested to A/B. I just wanted some non-disposables for the monos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back