Quad VA-ONE tube headphone amp / dac ?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by Jodet, Jul 6, 2017.
  1. Jodet
  2. Jodet
    Bump.

3. project86 Contributor
    I heard it last year and didn't really care for it. Not terrible mind you, but I just think they are trying to do too much in one small package. The DAC part is pretty mediocre, particularly over USB, and the speaker amp section is so underpowered as to be of very little use. What left is a decent headphone amp with a rather high price tag for what it is.

Quad also has the PA-One which I think came out first. It uses different tubes and doesn't have the speaker amp, so in theory it could be better. Haven't heard it though. Price is still higher than I'd like at $1799.

4. Jodet
    I just got to hear one with Harbeth P3ESR's in a small room - was absolutely stunning. Amazing midrange. If you have efficient speakers or a smallish room I'd say this might be a very nice option. I'll bet this would be great with Compact 7's if you're not fussy about volume.

Didn't get a chance to listen on headphones, maybe another time.

5. E8ArmyDiver
    I wanted to dust this thread off since I've been living with this rig for about 6 months now...Tubes are still factory & this is a wonderfully musical amp..Driving LSA-1 Signature monitors in a borderline medium treated room.Superb all in 1 solution...

6. Jodet
    I'm using mine in a small room (my hobby shop) with a pair of Proac Tablette 10's and the sound is astonishing. Reminds me of my Quads, especially on vocals.