Quad VA-ONE tube headphone amp / dac ?
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Can't find any info on this as a headphone amp anywhere.

Any comments? It's a nice looking amp and I love the tube complement.

I'm wondering how this would work with HD700's and HD800S's.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/quad-va-one-integrated-valve-amplifier-dac

Quad-VA-One-angle.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 23
I heard it last year and didn't really care for it. Not terrible mind you, but I just think they are trying to do too much in one small package. The DAC part is pretty mediocre, particularly over USB, and the speaker amp section is so underpowered as to be of very little use. What left is a decent headphone amp with a rather high price tag for what it is.

Quad also has the PA-One which I think came out first. It uses different tubes and doesn't have the speaker amp, so in theory it could be better. Haven't heard it though. Price is still higher than I'd like at $1799.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 23
I just got to hear one with Harbeth P3ESR's in a small room - was absolutely stunning. Amazing midrange. If you have efficient speakers or a smallish room I'd say this might be a very nice option. I'll bet this would be great with Compact 7's if you're not fussy about volume.

Didn't get a chance to listen on headphones, maybe another time.

May 14, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 23
I wanted to dust this thread off since I've been living with this rig for about 6 months now...Tubes are still factory & this is a wonderfully musical amp..Driving LSA-1 Signature monitors in a borderline medium treated room.Superb all in 1 solution...

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 23
I've got a PA-One (Serial ......0002) and have done tons of tube rolling... RCA Red Base, Heintz-Kaufman, Sylvania, ADZAM, etc. Finally settled on Phillips/Mullard rectifier (square getter) and Sophia Electric for the SN 6's and 7's. Hi_Fi Tuning fuse and etc. Pushing HiFiMan HE-1000 V2's, Cardas wires, Source Board, BDR cones, etc. Using RCA inputs because the XLR's don't go to balanced circuitry. Very, Very happy. Don't see that the VA-One offers any upgrade for me. Think you'll find performance is driven by tubes, fuse, wires, and mounting isolation. If you're purely headphone (no little speakers) think you're better off with the PA-One.

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 23
Find a Phillips/Mullard rectifier (UK plant, late 1960's).... then look for Sophia Electric 6 SN and SL 7's. Forget tube rolling. Get the Sophias. Unless you want to buy my RCA's and Heintz & Kaufmans, and etc. Then, replace the fuse.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Hi folks.I wanted to dust off this thread for several reasons...To recap the VA-One was a beautifully voiced all in one unit with 1 HUGE flaw(& 1 small flaw) so I sold mine..In order to bias the amp after changing power tubes the unit had to be
UPSIDE DOWN,OPEN & POWERED UP using a screwdriver & multi meter!This is dangerous,labor intensive & simply unacceptable in todays tube electronics...
So what does that have to do with anything now?Well the VA-One has been UPGRADED & UPDATED!
First the DAC chip & associated circuits have been upgraded to the ESS SABRE 9018 K2M that plays up to DSD256 and 384kHz via the USB-B input – as well as inclusion of the Bluetooth aptX receiver...IMO the original VA-One's AKM chipset was soft at the freq.extremes so I think this is a big move up in low level resolution..
Next the headphone circuit received the new PA-One+ upgrades,moving power output to 500mw @ 32ohms,not a powerhouse but plenty of drive for sane levels from most higher end cans & driven of the speaker output should be simply glorious in it's presentation...
Lastly & ABSOLUTELY MOST IMPORTANT update is the inclusion of Fully Automatic Biasing after power tube replacement!!!
For anyone who wants a superb,all in one unit that can handle any digital source,phono & BlueTooth in a small,bespoke quality unit has few choices..The iFi Stereo 50 is the natural competitor but in all honesty,having owned both the Quad & iFi,the Stereo 50 simply isn't even close in build quality or heritage & in a highly resolving system just doesn't have that last bit of everything that differentiates very good from world class sound...I bought mine this mourning,look for a full review in a few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back