QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #841 of 2,247
Hello, does anyone know of a nice good quality cable that won't break the bank? I need it to terminate to a 2.5 balanced connection and works with the Era-1. I was looking at NewFantasia cables but am open to other options. If the cable can be under $50 would be most appreciated :)
Found another great option.

https://www.dysonaudio.com/products...d-dap-2-5mm-trrs-cable?variant=17420707430457

There, you've to pick "Beyerdynamic T1" as needed termination, too.

It's worth a look.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #842 of 2,247
Mar 17, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #843 of 2,247
Now this is more like it. The other cables you linked were very very nice. But honestly I have spent already a lil too much.... My gf would kill me haha. But this cable looks like the perfect option :). Thanks for the help
Was my pleasure.
By this way, i found a good solution for my Monitor 5. :ksc75smile:

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #845 of 2,247
A very welcome. :)

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #848 of 2,247
Hope you guys enjoy quarantine with the Quad :) I've settled with the Quad + velour pads and -3 decibels in the treble area. Love the sound like this -smooth, full-bodied, a almost thick and dark yet still transparent and fast. Good for relaxing at night.

The HD600 serves me as my home office headphone (more comfy and sounds great on the laptop). I'm more and more convinced each transducer technology has its own character (and advantages of course). But the planar sound really hits the sweet spot overall.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #849 of 2,247
As i promised kind of a comparison between the ERA-1 and Heddphone, here it is: I still think the ERA-1 are really good in their price category. I do however also think that they can't really compete with Heddphone (as far as sound is concerned). They might have a tiny advantage as far as speed and punch is concerned, but otherwise the Heddphone is as good or clearly better, the latter especially applies to soundstage, imaging and resolution.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #851 of 2,247
Give us more! Some pics would be super too :) Thanks mate!

I did post this one in the Heddphone thread. Looks and comfort are imo not that great (though the headband seems to have softened up and does now fit at least somwhat comfortably - i have a rather big head), that would be a win for the ERA-1. They are definitely rather heavy, but that's nothing that bothers me. Cable is much too stiff, feels like a wire. But the sound is superb, it gives you exactly what your chain provides. Resolution is just great, for the first time ever i was able to spot a difference between DAC filters. More power is apparently better, not only to get to an acceptable volume but also control and slam gets very discernably better when more juice is provided.

Edit: Added another picture.

Attachments

• DSC02873-3.jpg
    DSC02873-3.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02892-3.jpg
    DSC02892-3.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #853 of 2,247
I did post this one in the Heddphone thread. Looks and comfort are imo not that great (though the headband seems to have softened up and does now fit at least somwhat comfortably - i have a rather big head), that would be a win for the ERA-1. They are definitely rather heavy, but that's nothing that bothers me. Cable is much too stiff, feels like a wire. But the sound is superb, it gives you exactly what your chain provides. Resolution is just great, for the first time ever i was able to spot a difference between DAC filters. More power is apparently better, not only to get to an acceptable volume but also control and slam gets very discernably better when more juice is provided.

Edit: Added another picture.
Thank you very much for your impressions compared to our beloved Era-1. :)
Maybe i'll pull the trigger and get one soon.
Would be the right move before the crisis starts to grow. :ksc75smile:

After the mid lockdown, we've to meet for a serious listening evening, I guess. ^^
Will bring my R28 along. :)

Hope all f you be well, have a great weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back