QUAD ERA-1 Thread
May 24, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #511 of 2,240
I felt like the vibrating diaphragm was stuck and then it failed to output any music. Some hard taps on the outer shell or tuning up with volume helped putting it back to business...

Just got them an hour ago. Disappointed to say the least, as the right side is not working.

Gave the right side a few taps, now they played Music again on that side... but only for a few minutes, and, I shouldn't have to do that on a 700€ headphone.. The sound is really really good, but I'm afraid I'll have to return them since there seem to be some QC issues going on. Hope they get this resolved, because these have a lot of potential, but I will probably stay away from them for now. :/

EDIT: Even getting sad right now to be honest. :D I just tap them while listenting right now and they sound oh so good... it's confusing to me how something like this can happen. If I could be 100% sure that a replacement model wouldn't have this issue, I'd be in, but I can never know can I..

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #512 of 2,240
Just got them an hour ago. Disappointed to say the least, as the right side is not working.

Gave the right side a few taps, now they played Music again on that side... but only for a few minutes, and, I shouldn't have to do that on a 700€ headphone.. The sound is really really good, but I'm afraid I'll have to return them since there seem to be some QC issues going on. Hope they get this resolved, because these have a lot of potential, but I will probably stay away from them for now. :/

EDIT: Even getting sad right now to be honest. :D I just tap them while listenting right now and they sound oh so good... it's confusing to me how something like this can happen. If I could be 100% sure that a replacement model wouldn't have this issue, I'd be in, but I can never know can I..

I contacted IAG Group and swapped for a new pair (half of shipping cost on me)... luckily the replacement works perfectly fine now. Yea it sounds soooo good man..

May 24, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #513 of 2,240
I contacted IAG Group and swapped for a new pair (half of shipping cost on me)... luckily the replacement works perfectly fine now. Yea it sounds soooo good man..

Glad to hear that man! Hope it'll stay that way, because right now both sides don't produce any sounds anymore. xD Tried a different cable, no luck. When I tap them lightly they produce sound for a second and then turn silent again. It's so strange... I must've gotten a really bad pair, maybe I'm also just really unlucky in this case but it's still so strange...

I effectively cannot listen to them anymore now. If they work, they work for a few minutes and the sound even pans from the left to the right, gets louder, quieter, without me doing anything. What the heck. :D

May 24, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #514 of 2,240
Glad to hear that man! Hope it'll stay that way, because right now both sides don't produce any sounds anymore. xD Tried a different cable, no luck. When I tap them lightly they produce sound for a second and then turn silent again. It's so strange... I must've gotten a really bad pair, maybe I'm also just really unlucky in this case but it's still so strange...

I effectively cannot listen to them anymore now. If they work, they work for a few minutes and the sound even pans from the left to the right, gets louder, quieter, without me doing anything. What the heck. :D

You may try driving the cans with high current....sometimes it works for me (like sneezing) lol

May 24, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #515 of 2,240
You may try driving the cans with high current....sometimes it works for me (like sneezing) lol

Hmmmmm. I'll connect them to a much more powerful source at home. My LG V30 drives the Meze 99 or Sennheiser 660s to ear bleeding levels, the ERA-1 only to basically a normal listening volume. Let's see what happens...

EDIT: Connected them to my Xonar Asus STX at home, which can drive them to ear-bleeding level, still, the right channel only works sometimes..

Oh well. Might just be bad luck - I wish everyone who owns them a lot of fun for the coming years, and I hope that neither side will fail. :) I'll return them and be happy with my Sennheiser 660s, which sound phenomenal as well.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #517 of 2,240

i had this same issue with a Brainwavz Alara I just tried. Right driver would randomly cut in and out, may be a common defect with the Yogada headphone they are both based on. I decided to exchange it and give another try, but these posts are worrying me about the Alara too!

Not had a chance to try the Quad ERA-1 yet sadly but that is worrying if many people are having that issue.

May 31, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #518 of 2,240
i had this same issue with a Brainwavz Alara I just tried. Right driver would randomly cut in and out, may be a common defect with the Yogada headphone they are both based on. I decided to exchange it and give another try, but these posts are worrying me about the Alara too!

Not had a chance to try the Quad ERA-1 yet sadly but that is worrying if many people are having that issue.

Oh. No. Please. Not.. I've ordered the Alara's since the Quad has so many problems, in the hopes that the Brainwavz model does not have these problems.

Let's see.. you don't have the Alara's with you anymore, right? Cause if you do, what happens when you push the driver to your ears? The Quads just stopped producing sounds on both sides.. it was always just gentle pushs.. :/

May 31, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #519 of 2,240
Oh. No. Please. Not.. I've ordered the Alara's since the Quad has so many problems, in the hopes that the Brainwavz model does not have these problems.

Let's see.. you don't have the Alara's with you anymore, right? Cause if you do, what happens when you push the driver to your ears? The Quads just stopped producing sounds on both sides.. it was always just gentle pushs.. :/

No I already sent them back and am awaiting my replacement. I never tried pushing them in at all. My left driver always worked without issues. I even walked around outside with them and it had no issues at all. Just the right one. I suspect it was the right earcups 3.5mm connector as moving around a lot or walking made it cut out a lot more often. Tried a different cable so it wasnt the cable.

Hopefully mine is a isolated case. At least it had the issue right out the box so it was easy to realize the defect. I am hoping mine is a rare case as I havent seen anyone else complaining about that issue with the Alara but these Quad posts having the same issue definitely worried me.

I think there are not too many Alara owners based on the few reviews and comments about them. Seems to be more Quad owners so more samples out there.

May 31, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #520 of 2,240
No I already sent them back and am awaiting my replacement. I never tried pushing them in at all. My left driver always worked without issues. I even walked around outside with them and it had no issues at all. Just the right one. I suspect it was the right earcups 3.5mm connector as moving around a lot or walking made it cut out a lot more often. Tried a different cable so it wasnt the cable.

Hopefully mine is a isolated case. At least it had the issue right out the box so it was easy to realize the defect. I am hoping mine is a rare case as I havent seen anyone else complaining about that issue with the Alara but these Quad posts having the same issue definitely worried me.

I think there are not too many Alara owners based on the few reviews and comments about them. Seems to be more Quad owners so more samples out there.

Hmm. Yeah, lets see. I'll be waiting for them tomorow since they'll arrive that day. It's gonna be nice and sunny outside but I'll probably just wait for the delivery guy. :D Then I will gladly post if I experience any of the Quad issues with the Alaras. I really hope for you, me, and every other Alara owner that this was actually just a rare case. Cheers!

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #521 of 2,240
Hmm. Yeah, lets see. I'll be waiting for them tomorow since they'll arrive that day. It's gonna be nice and sunny outside but I'll probably just wait for the delivery guy. :D Then I will gladly post if I experience any of the Quad issues with the Alaras. I really hope for you, me, and every other Alara owner that this was actually just a rare case. Cheers!

Do let us know about your findings once your package arrives, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 2, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #522 of 2,240
Received the Alaras yesterday.. instant love, really. Bass is as thick, dense, detailed and fast as expected and wished for. The soundstage is kind of house-like, picking up details is so easy and it's not too narrow for me at all. Since I'm gonna use them to make Music as well, it's pretty much perfect.

Without straying too off topic, the point is, these have NONE of the issues which the Quads I own have.. I can push the drivers closer to my ears as hard as I like and the sound doesn't cut off at all. Both channels work properly and matching is great. The Quads will now be going back. Already packaged up and I won't look back. I really hope they get to resolve the QC issues - I kind of feel sorry for Quads, there must've been something going wrong badly. To anyone who has a fully working unit though, enjoy! Both the Alara and Quads (if they work) are spectacular headphones! I have to add that I actually prefer the Alaras over the Quads since the Bass response is just so fantastic. Directly compared it feels the Quads could use a lil Bass boost via EQ, but YMMV of course! Just my opinion as I always wanted to have that really nice planar magnetic Bass which hits well, the Quads may even be a touch more refined in that area though. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back