QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #586 of 2,240
I wonder what amps you all are using with your Quads? I currently have the Audio GD R2R-11 and it's a wonderfully musical combination, but I'm thinking that perhaps the R2R-11 is holding the headphones back a bit when it comes to detail and resolution. Considering the THX-789 as an upgrade for the amp part.

I'm also using the Quad with the R2R-11, but the THX 789 is under way, i hope it won't get stolen/lost because its in Germany since last Monday.. I'm switching to the Topping D70(i have it already)+THX 789 combo from the R2R-11.
If i get the amp, i will report back how its sounds :)
I got a very good deal on the Quad Era1 some months ago, and i buyed it based on the opinion of fericske, and others on our forum :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #587 of 2,240
I'm also using the Quad with the R2R-11, but the THX 789 is under way, i hope it won't get stolen/lost because its in Germany since last Monday.. I'm switching to the Topping D70(i have it already)+THX 789 combo from the R2R-11.
If i get the amp, i will report back how its sounds :)
I got a very good deal on the Quad Era1 some months ago, and i buyed it based on the opinion of fericske, and others on our forum :)

The Quad is really amazing in that case that's sounds good with any source gear I plugged to, even with my Mate10pro surprisingly good.
And very scalable.
I tried with dozens different stuffs, including Woo Audio range and DCS Bartok and the Quad just given more on listening experince with those really good dac/amps.
So, at the moment I don't know if there any amplifier exists that could be overkill to the Era1 :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #589 of 2,240
We won't predict the match result, but Final D8000 is rock solid on performance. Crazy cans, we've been using them for months.
To what I know, there's no better headpone going up the Ladders until the Hifiman Aryas, and of Course: Stax. Maybe a well-driven ESP-95X could strife against it (Heck, even defeat it!). But who knows?
The comparisons I hope to one day see is the ERA-1 vs Verum One vs ThieAudio Phantom. Wonder who wins.

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #591 of 2,240
so I stumbled on these somehow and realize that the Era-1 will be my next headphone. however, I need to buy a DAC n amp and would appreciate suggestions. I've always wanted a simple stack like the Schiit Magni 3, Modi 3 and Loki...but perhaps they would impair the sound compared to a more refined solution. I have thought about the THX 788 from Monoprice or perhaps keep it all in the family and grab the PA-One+. I'm confident that the headphone was likely tuned to be paired with that. :wink:

also @FullBright1 , would you agree with Zeos on his statement regarding the Alara's, that they would be the headphones he'd introduce some to hi-fi with? do you think they are that good? https://www.head-fi.org/members/fullbright1.383694/

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #592 of 2,240
so I stumbled on these somehow and realize that the Era-1 will be my next headphone. however, I need to buy a DAC n amp and would appreciate suggestions. I've always wanted a simple stack like the Schiit Magni 3, Modi 3 and Loki...but perhaps they would impair the sound compared to a more refined solution. I have thought about the THX 788 from Monoprice or perhaps keep it all in the family and grab the PA-One+. I'm confident that the headphone was likely tuned to be paired with that. :wink:

also @FullBright1 , would you agree with Zeos on his statement regarding the Alara's, that they would be the headphones he'd introduce some to hi-fi with? do you think they are that good?

I never had the modi 3, but the Magni 3 is a fantastic Amp for the money with a crap ton of power. I would suggest the monoprice 788 if you'll be happy with a budget end game solution that satisfies many audiophiles quest for a balanced system (though the single ended 6.3mm output is somewhat underpowered). Either way you either buy one of these amps or a hybrid Amp (if you aren't using IEMs) and you'll be good (edit) as long as you don't get curious :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #593 of 2,240
I never had the modi 3, but the Magni 3 is a fantastic Amp for the money with a crap ton of power. I would suggest the monoprice 788 if you'll be happy with a budget end game solution that satisfies many audiophiles quest for a balanced system (though the single ended 6.3mm output is somewhat underpowered). Either way you either buy one of these amps or a hybrid Amp (if you aren't using IEMs) and you'll be good for awhile.
yes, the Magni 3 and the JDS Labs Atom are both very well regarded.

I should mention I also was thinking about adding the Valhalla 2 tube amp to my stack...though with so meany third gen revisions coming out, I should probably wait for the Valhalla 3 :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #594 of 2,240
The main fight of the day: Quad era-1 vs. Final Audio d8000

20190829_180233.jpg

I started with

- Move D. - Amazing Discoveres
- Subsurfing - The number readers
- Pascal F.E.O.S - Down to Earth

Already after a few minutes I noticed that although the bass of the Era1, in my opinion, is terrific, he can not keep up with the d8000.
The bass of the Final Audio sounds a lot more harmonic, as well as faster / agile, which I especially noticed in the track: the number readers of Subsurfing.

On the track: Stay the Same from the album Black Sands (Bonobo),
the d8000 has, in my ears, revealed its genius.
Namely, the Mids are much more detailed, more transparent, and at the same time less aggressive than the Era1.
Andreyas singing was permeated by a lightness, as well as emotionality, as I have never experienced.
It's hard for me to put into words, but over the entire frequency spectrum, I had the impression that the playback was extremely fleet-footed, stressless, and at the same time incredibly thrilling, dynamic, "close to me", on a fantastic stage and locability.

Why worry - Dire Straits (20th anniversary Edition, DSD) Mark sounds with the d8000, more delicate, filigree, and emotionally charged.
The guitar more coherent, realistic.

Zangetsu by Minezaki Koto from the album The Art of Japanese Bamboo Flute and Koto:
Here, the quad is sometimes unpleasant, especially when using the bamboo flute by 1khz.
The d8000, on the other hand, acts more sensitively and at the same time finely dissolves.
The bamboo flute never sounds sharp.
The location of the instruments succeeds much better. As if the musicians were playing in a completely different space, a room with more depth, with more dimensions!

My conclusion: the d8000 plays in a different league.

The Quad is a talented and always dedicated student, but he does not have the skills of the Master by far.

So transparent, poignant, captivating, dynamic, excellent locatable, rich in detail, yet unobtrusive, I've never heard music before.

For me, the Final Audio d8000 is a masterpiece

Oh yes, by the way, this headphone is also very comfortable.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #595 of 2,240

I started with

Already after a few minutes I noticed that although the bass of the Era1, in my opinion, is terrific, he can not keep up with the d8000.
The bass of the Final Audio sounds a lot more harmonic, as well as faster / agile, which I especially noticed in the track: the number readers of Subsurfing.

Namely, the Mids are much more detailed, more transparent, and at the same time less aggressive than the Era1.
Andreyas singing was permeated by a lightness, as well as emotionality, as I have never experienced.
It's hard for me to put into words, but over the entire frequency spectrum, I had the impression that the playback was extremely fleet-footed, stressless, and at the same time incredibly thrilling, dynamic, "close to me", on a fantastic stage and locability.

Why worry - Dire Straits (20th anniversary Edition, DSD) Mark sounds with the d8000, more delicate, filigree, and emotionally charged.

Zangetsu by Minezaki Koto from the album The Art of Japanese Bamboo Flute and Koto:
Here, the quad is sometimes unpleasant, especially when using the bamboo flute by 1khz.
The d8000, on the other hand, acts more sensitively and at the same time finely dissolves.
The location of the instruments succeeds much better. As if the musicians were playing in a completely different space, a room with more depth, with more dimensions!

The Quad is a talented and always dedicated student, but he does not have the skills of the Master by far.

So transparent, poignant, captivating, dynamic, excellent locatable, rich in detail, yet unobtrusive, I've never heard music before.

Nice review, thanks! But it think we should also put their prices beside their names also, given a Final is $3800 headpone, costing it four times as much as the Quad. So, sounding better is a must, for that price :)

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #596 of 2,240
Absolute.

The fact remains, that the Quad delivers a fantastic performance, in terms of price

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #597 of 2,240

also @FullBright1 , would you agree with Zeos on his statement regarding the Alara's, that they would be the headphones he'd introduce some to hi-fi with? do you think they are that good?

The PA ONE is slightly overpriced, to what I know.
Now, the ERAs are 20 ohms, constant. Ergo, if you wanted to go all out on tubes, I'd recommend a Cayin HA-1A MK2 with the 12au7s tube rolled (PSVANEs seem to be fitting). All in all, it would come out at around $850. Factor in a Khadas tone Board for $150 (or a Massdrop RDAC for $350 if you want R2R), and you got a set up!
The Cayin is supposedly absolutely delicious with planars, and with 2 bloody Watts of power, the ERAs will not be starved. If this is too high, or you are not a tube person, go for the 789.
I am not sure about what to recommend for less than the Cayin (which I believe has an 8 ohm recommended output, so even a pair of Verums would be alright!:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:), maybe one of the Xduuo amps?
I've read the ZDT Jr. Is horrible with Planars, whilst something like the DV has too high of an output impendance. Maybe the Hybrid Amp from Massdrop?
Good luck!:floatsmile:

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #598 of 2,240
I never had the modi 3, but the Magni 3 is a fantastic Amp for the money with a crap ton of power. I would suggest the monoprice 788 if you'll be happy with a budget end game solution that satisfies many audiophiles quest for a balanced system (though the single ended 6.3mm output is somewhat underpowered). Either way you either buy one of these amps or a hybrid Amp (if you aren't using IEMs) and you'll be good (edit) as long as you don't get curious :ksc75smile:

In this price range there are a lot of nice headphone gears available.
The Verum 1, the Alara's., many more.
If you are looking for a closed then i'd send you to the recent BeyerDynamic Amiron Wireless. It sounds great, and not so similar to the original Amiron. The seal could be better as its not as snug as i'd like along the bottom of the cup, so, you have to find the perfect adjustment or they will seem "bass lite".
And setting now all these aside. If you are looking for an open $500 headphone, then buy the "Drop" Koss ESP/95X.
Its the best sounding Sennheiser Electro-Static headphone that they never actually made, so Koss did it instead.
its really good.
If you are looking for "i just want 4 headphones and im happy", then get the Koss, get the Audeze LCD-X, get the Hifiman Edition X, and the Amiron wireless.
These all sound different, and they all sound very good.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #599 of 2,240

I started with

From the pictures, it would seem to me that the Quad has a better build than the D8000. I'm especially concerned about the long-term durability of that slider system for adjusting the fit and the odd looking pads on the D8000. How would you say they compare in the hand/on the head in terms of build quality?

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #600 of 2,240
In this price range there are a lot of nice headphone gears available.
The Verum 1, the Alara's., many more.
If you are looking for a closed then i'd send you to the recent BeyerDynamic Amiron Wireless. It sounds great, and not so similar to the original Amiron. The seal could be better as its not as snug as i'd like along the bottom of the cup, so, you have to find the perfect adjustment or they will seem "bass lite".
And setting now all these aside. If you are looking for an open $500 headphone, then buy the "Drop" Koss ESP/95X.
Its the best sounding Sennheiser Electro-Static headphone that they never actually made, so Koss did it instead.
its really good.
If you are looking for "i just want 4 headphones and im happy", then get the Koss, get the Audeze LCD-X, get the Hifiman Edition X, and the Amiron wireless.
These all sound different, and they all sound very good.

ESP-X better than ERAs?!
An to think they are even better with tubes, and EVEN better with an improved amp!
But also, isn't the ERA one better than both the LCD-X and He-XX?
Amiros ate understandable, since they are wireless, but by December MD is releasing their Panda Prototype Planar Wireless headphones, so...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back