Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,036 of 2,130
I've been using Qobuz for about 1 month now and recently started going back to Apple Music for convenience and functionality of the app. I haven't used Apple for awhile and hadn't heard the audio quality after they started implementing their "digital masters" catalogue into their streaming service. Having listened to it now, I'd suggest giving it a shot. Most of the albums I have in AM are indistinguishable from Qobuz hi-res selection. Those that are different, are just that, different; not better or worse (perhaps a mastering variability). There was a time when Tidal and Qobuz sounded distinctly cleaner and more dynamic than AM but I think those times have changed. With AM being cheaper on a student discount, having a bigger library, playlists/radio functionality, I'm considering dropping Qobuz since the quality difference is no longer a factor in the discussion, at least for me.

thanks. How can you tell in Apple Music what albums or tracks are apple digital masters? I don’t see a logo or anything. How are these encoded vs lossless 192, 96?

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,037 of 2,130
thanks. How can you tell in Apple Music what albums or tracks are apple digital masters? I don’t see a logo or anything. How are these encoded vs lossless 192, 96?

When you go in the iTunes Store to look at albums, you will see the logo there. At first, I thought that you had to purchase albums to get the digital masters and that AM streamed a different version but that doesn't appear to be the case (both with my listening of previously purchased albums and with a few posts I've seen). I believe they're encoded 16-bit, 44.1kHz at 256kbps but I'm not 100% certain of the bit depth. Apple says they get the masters at 24-bit depth and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it at that when downsampling. Obviously, in terms of numbers, AM is inferior to Qobuz, but from a user perspective, I can't tell a difference. I know there have been many debates of lossy vs. lossless vs. hi-res and I don't plan on getting in to that since I'm not well-read in that matter nor have the qualifications to talk measurements. As someone who loves music, if AM gives me seamless playback with good Mac and iOS functionality, broader music choice, better music recommendations, at a quality that I can't discern from hi-res, then I'm happy.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,038 of 2,130
Awwww, geez. I've spent countless hours reading and learning and doing A/B compares on Tidal, Amazon HD, and Qobuz with and without UAPP. Well, Amoneyzon isn't UAPP compatible yet so I stick with Qobuz and Tidal. Bought an LGv30 and love the sound. Had an iPhone 6s and thought it sounded good when playing out of the camera dongle with a Dragonfly DAC/Amp on her. Now, you say Apple Music sounds as good as those others? GeezLouise, I may as well go back to the iPhone if it weren't for that pesky no headphone jack! This is a rabbit hole of a hobby. Chasing the next purple squirrel. I love my sound setup now. I may try my daughter's iPhone and see what it sounds like on Apple Music with the Dragonfly. What I really should be doing is staying off of these forums. Bad for my sanity. Bad for my wallet.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,039 of 2,130
When you go in the iTunes Store to look at albums, you will see the logo there. At first, I thought that you had to purchase albums to get the digital masters and that AM streamed a different version but that doesn't appear to be the case (both with my listening of previously purchased albums and with a few posts I've seen). I believe they're encoded 16-bit, 44.1kHz at 256kbps but I'm not 100% certain of the bit depth. Apple says they get the masters at 24-bit depth and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it at that when downsampling. Obviously, in terms of numbers, AM is inferior to Qobuz, but from a user perspective, I can't tell a difference. I know there have been many debates of lossy vs. lossless vs. hi-res and I don't plan on getting in to that since I'm not well-read in that matter nor have the qualifications to talk measurements. As someone who loves music, if AM gives me seamless playback with good Mac and iOS functionality, broader music choice, better music recommendations, at a quality that I can't discern from hi-res, then I'm happy.

thanks. I guess you need to be on a computer and iTunes. I don’t see the designation using the Apple Music app on my iPad.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,040 of 2,130
I've been using Qobuz for about 1 month now and recently started going back to Apple Music for convenience and functionality of the app. I haven't used Apple for awhile and hadn't heard the audio quality after they started implementing their "digital masters" catalogue into their streaming service. Having listened to it now, I'd suggest giving it a shot. Most of the albums I have in AM are indistinguishable from Qobuz hi-res selection. Those that are different, are just that, different; not better or worse (perhaps a mastering variability). There was a time when Tidal and Qobuz sounded distinctly cleaner and more dynamic than AM but I think those times have changed. With AM being cheaper on a student discount, having a bigger library, playlists/radio functionality, I'm considering dropping Qobuz since the quality difference is no longer a factor in the discussion, at least for me.

If they sound the same to you then I'm jealous. I haven't compared, but suspect that I would hear a nagging difference and then you'd have to say — as @3Putter notes above — "Sorry about your wallet!" :)

A recent study has shown that many listeners cannot hear the difference between 320kbps MP3 and 16/44.1 CD tracks, and some also cannot not hear a difference between the lowest resolution and Hi-Res studio master tracks. Some of those that do hear a difference in Hi-Res often cannot describe it in anything but emotional terms, which objectivists must find absolutely maddening, but I unfortunately am one of the unlucky ones who can explain why I am emptying my wallet.

I suspect Apple Digital Masters would sound far better than 320 kbps MP3, but that I'd still hear/feel a difference with Qobuz Hi Res. Anyway, I stay away from Apple and Amazon when I can for other reasons having to do with monopolistic practices that bring down prices but squash innovation long-term ...but then again I can afford to do so.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,041 of 2,130
How can you tell in Apple Music what albums or tracks are apple digital masters?

You'll easily find the Apple Digital Masters logo in File Info on macOS, but I'm not sure if you can do that in iOS.

I don’t see a logo or anything. How are these encoded vs lossless 192, 96?

They convert and downsample the files to 256 kbps AAC, but they try to start with the best studio master possible. They ask for 24-bit depth masters when possible, but many originals seem have been 16/44.1 CD quality. Apple asks that those 16-bit files not be upsampled to 24-bit before submission. Apple has posted a long but readable PDF on this topic: https://www.apple.com/itunes/docs/apple-digital-masters.pdf

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #1,042 of 2,130
If they sound the same to you then I'm jealous. I haven't compared, but suspect that I would hear a nagging difference and then you'd have to say — as @3Putter notes above — "Sorry about your wallet!" :)

Haha what's funny is that I really wanted to convince myself that Qobuz sounded better in everything that I listened to, especially with the hi-res albums, but after switching back and forth, I gave up. There were a few albums that were mastered differently but AM didn't lose any clarity or dynamics with their version. Perhaps it's my preferred listening setup but I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon to compensate.

I agree with you about the negative feeling towards large companies monopolizing the industry, but at the same time, I'm thankful for services like Tidal and Qobuz forcing Apple to step up its game. Especially now with Qobuz being $14.99 for Hi-Res makes Apple seem like a poor offering at $9.99 for those that pay full price.

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,044 of 2,130
I got a new job recently and with the pay increase, I finally jumped on Qobuz. I am enjoying it so far and it has already promoted one music purchase, so I need to be careful. I will need to work on getting my raspberry pi playback to improve. That is likely a WiFi issue though. I wish is had WiFi access at work to use it on my phone, but for now, I have been downloading some albums at home to listen to the next day.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #1,045 of 2,130
Not sure if this is a common problem or not - have checked the thread and not seen a specific answer. I've got about 113 albums imported to my android phone (lg g7, android 9, qobuz 5.4.1), but pretty much every time I open the offline library it comes up as "0 releases" for all the tabs; I just can't get the albums to appear. Does anybody know of a solution? Thanks.

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,046 of 2,130
You must have a glitch. Downloading to offline library should work. Delete the app and reload it and see? Are the albums showing on a desktop login? I grew tired of buggy software and just recommitted to Tidal. Dont have the buggy issues and get ALOT more new music discovery and enjoyment from Tidal. JM2C

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,047 of 2,130
Thanks. Have deleted and reloaded the app. Still the same issue. Lots of albums imported, which do appear in favorites, but offline library says "0 releases". Maddening. Any other ideas anyone?

I agree that Tidal is much more reliable on android. But Qobuz suits my music taste more and sounds marginally better through uapp... I'm always going between the two, waiting for qobuz to sort out their app so I can settle.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,048 of 2,130
Thanks. Have deleted and reloaded the app. Still the same issue. Lots of albums imported, which do appear in favorites, but offline library says "0 releases". Maddening. Any other ideas anyone?

I agree that Tidal is much more reliable on android. But Qobuz suits my music taste more and sounds marginally better through uapp... I'm always going between the two, waiting for qobuz to sort out their app so I can settle.
Have the same issue. The tracks are there but can't see them. If you go to favorites, you can play them offline. I've been putting everything as a favorite. It seems that offline visibility only works when you have an internet connection which makes no sense.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,049 of 2,130
Aren't selecting to 'Favourites' and 'Downloading' two different actions? Selecting as a 'Favourite' is quick. Downloading takes time. Every album I've downloaded ends up in the correct folder. Qobuz does sound a little purer and has better gain than Tidal when ran straight to my IEM's from my LG V30. When running through UAPP the same applies but both are boosted and I don't need to turn it up as loud. The app for UAPP isn't perfect but does work well generally. I really wish I could get on board with Qobuz because it does sound a bit better but I just fly through Tidal and find so much more new music.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #1,050 of 2,130
Yes, I have a favorites library which is enormous, from which I import a smaller offline library, which does take time. But the offline library nearly always comes up as empty. Very occasionally it shows the albums, so I know they are there, but if I toggle out and back again, they've all gone. It's very mysterious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back