Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #856 of 2,130
I forgot: something I absolutely love is how the different tracks are grouped by music piece. This makes a lot of sense for classical music.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 8.41.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 8.39.31 PM.png

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #858 of 2,130
I love it.

Sound quality
Interface
Great selection
No pushing of artists I have no interest in

We have the sublime and have taken advantage of the discount to build a library.
Indeed! And lots of information about musicians, etc. Clearly more "curated" than both Spotify and Tidal (although to be fair Spotify does a very decent job with recommendations and playlists).

Plus streaming that actually works, unlike...ahem...Tidal's.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #859 of 2,130
It's the sound quality that sold me on Qobuz after the first full day of listening to Hi Res I closed my Spotify account, I do miss their catalog & desk top app..enjoy

Sep 9, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #860 of 2,130
It's the sound quality that sold me on Qobuz after the first full day of listening to Hi Res I closed my Spotify account, I do miss their catalog & desk top app..enjoy
I think I'll keep Spotify as a search engine and as a backup, as the discovery of albums is much better than for Qobuz. In my experience it takes a lot of time to find relevant items in Qobuz, as one has to go through many irrelevant (o low priority) items. A bit like internet searches pre-Google.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #861 of 2,130
Hi everybody, just spent 2 hours reading through this thread and it’s always great to see the thoughts and comments other people. I have switch back and forth between Tidal and Qobuz, but finally here to stay with Qobuz which for me is the best sounding streaming service period. I also have a Spotify family subscription for the rest of the family and also because there are many albums I cannot find on Qobuz, plus the curated playlists are much better in Spotify.

One big problem is certainly the amounts of bugs. I saw only a couple of comments on CarPlay, but the Qobuz implementation is an absolute disaster. When you launch the app from the CarPlay interface you need to unlock the phone. Otherwise the content does not show up on the car screen. Large playlists do not load fully. Not sure what is the limit, but in CarPlay the app cannot load more than a certain amount of songs in a playlist, so you need to reach out to the phone to play a song that is further down the list. I hope someone from Qobuz reads this. This needs an urgent fix.

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #863 of 2,130
No pushing of artists I have no interest in

Now I wonder who you would be referring to there? lol. Actually I subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz and that's one of my gripes too. When I'm working on something, cooking, etc I use Tidal because of autoplay and I use their artist/track radio feature to create playlists that I transfer to Qobuz. When I want to actually listen, and I mean really listen, pay attention and enjoy the music it's Qobuz that gets the nod. Hands down better sound quality.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #864 of 2,130
One thing to consider is that just because a file is available now for streaming doesn't mean that will always be the case. It's no fun when you want to play a favorite piece of music and find that it's gone "unavailable".

This is very true. It seems there are crazy deals happening all the time. Several items disappeared from Tidal and also Tidal has some incomplete albums. I'm on Deezer now also to try to get fills and maybe one has something the other doesn't have. I don't know about qobuz but I guess it's the same.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #866 of 2,130
I also have a Spotify family subscription for the rest of the family and also because there are many albums I cannot find on Qobuz, plus the curated playlists are much better in Spotify.

That is unfortunately so true. I really wish they would introduce some deep learning for their database.
What I miss is more categories.

Take for example the French predominance in the Top Hitlists. If I could de-select them, this would be good.
Also audiobooks, there should be at least some categories to exclude children books, french audio books, etc.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #867 of 2,130
I have seen comment that Qobuz streaming of hi res content on Qobuz Sublime reduces the bit rate of 24 bit files to 16 bits. The sample rate is not reduced.

Where did you see that comment? First time I've ever seen that suggested, and don't believe the Qobuz folks would harm their business by doing so.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #869 of 2,130
I have seen comment that Qobuz streaming of hi res content on Qobuz Sublime reduces the bit rate of 24 bit files to 16 bits. The sample rate is not reduced.
Look at the AK SP1000 New TOL A&K DAP thread at message#6938 onwards.
For reference, here is a link: post #6938. The discussion was specifically about the Qobuz Android app, not the music stream (see post #6965). His recommendation was that to play a Qobuz stream at 24 bit resolution on Android, use a different app instead of the Qobuz app.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #870 of 2,130
For reference, here is a link: post #6938. The discussion was specifically about the Qobuz Android app, not the music stream (see post #6965). His recommendation was that to play a Qobuz stream at 24 bit resolution on Android, use a different app instead of the Qobuz app.
Yes. In that case I hope Qobuz is aware of the bug in their app and fix it.
Many people don't have a DAC that reports bit rate as well as sample rate.
Have you confirmed that the same thing is not happening with the stream? I am not sure the recommendation in the AK thread to use a stream had been tested/confirmed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back