Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #781 of 2,130

Yes. I have a few MQA albums on my phone. But to be honest, offline playback is not important to me at all. I have very fast cellular and wifi and I don't remember if tidal was ever offline. If I don't have connectivity over the net I have around 4T of music on a server in my house and a bunch of CDs and MDs and vinyl..

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #784 of 2,130
I´ve been using Qobuz sublime for 11 Months in Germany. I also found out that most of the Hi Res Files in 24/44 resolution don´t sound with clarity. I don´t have the equipment to test this. But I´m sure that the lack of resolution and clarity has to do with the fact that the files have been modified/upsampled.

The files in 24/48, 24/96 sound perfect for me. (They are mostly classic and jazz.) The problem is that most of the Hi Res files/Music I like from Qobuz, is in the resolution 24/44, which sound like the available files in CD quality.

I don´t know who is cheating, either Qobuz is upsampling the files or the music they are getting from the studios is already manipulated ( which makes no sense for me )

Qobuz still a good option for me. I´m very difficult to please in terms of sound quality.
Have you tested Tidal? If you have, are Tidal's MQA files of better sound quality?

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #785 of 2,130
I’ve found NAS My Cloud and am researching it.

I’d love a desktop “source” that holds all my FLAC hi res files and can be used to any source—Hugo 2, KEF LS50w, etc.

I’d like all music available like the old days where I could pull any album when the mood hit.

What are most using?

I’ve purchased quite a lot from Qobuz. The discount has been excellent.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #786 of 2,130
What is a NAS box?

I have the music on a portable hard drive as back up.

I’d love to have all my purchased music on Audirvana

Thanks.

Network Attached Storage. It's really a PC or computer that acts like an extension to your storage devices, like having a bunch of hard drives available online over the LAN or internet. They first started out as just a housing for a bunch of drives and later they started installing mostly Linux-based OS on them that could serve all kinds of music, movies, and also be used for backups and ftp.

I’d love a desktop “source” that holds all my FLAC hi res files and can be used to any source—Hugo 2, KEF LS50w, etc.

I’d like all music available like the old days where I could pull any album when the mood hit.

What are most using?

Most people who have a NAS are using a turn-key NAS like qnap or synology. There are many brands available. I prefer to roll my own because that way you have more control over exactly what's installed and what's going on on the box.

In my case I'm using a small office server with Xeon processors and ECC RAM and UNIX. I configured just a few services like CIFS/samba and dlna and I can stream music to Windows, Linux, UNIX, and a lot of my components. Depending on the endpoint (I don't like or use Roon but just to use a term many people are familiar with) I can stream SACD iso, DSD, any bit rate FLAC etc. It's a very nice setup.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #787 of 2,130

What are most using?

I have a selection, FreeNAS on a Dell 710 (big!), ReadyNAS (not recommended and QNAP which I'm moving to and will eventually replace the FreeNAS box too I think.

Anyone needs a TS-420 I have one that I would let go. PM me if anyone is interested.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #788 of 2,130

What are most using?

You need a music server. There are many options available. I use a PC I built running the freeware music server OS called Vortexbox, and then I run Roon on top of that. Qobuz integration with all my local music files to several different playback locations works great.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #789 of 2,130
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone is using a windows laptop or pc dedicated to Qobuz that you are controlling with an android phone. I've been on Qobuz studio for a few months now and really like it but due to my old dac dying I'm currently streaming via my Samsung S8 pushing an integrated amp from the headphone jack - obviously not the optimum setup though it does work better than I expected. My plan is to attach a Topping D10 to the Windows 7 laptop I've got lying around gathering dust and I would like to control the Qobuz Windows app with my S8. Do any of you have a recommendation for a phone app that will let me control the laptop that works well with the Qobuz Windows app? Qobuz is the only thing that the laptop will be used for so how well the phone app does other things isn't a factor. If you do a quick search in the play store you get a lot of results and I'd much rather have a starting point that just picking one based on reviews. I'd even be willing to shell out a few $ for a highly recommended one so free or not isn't a problem. The Qobuz windows app does what I need so I'm not interested in roon etc, I only want to stream using the laptop and control it with my phone. Thanks in advance!

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #790 of 2,130
The Black Keys have a new album out today and it’s high res on Qobuz! “Let’s Rock”!
BF524E89-B005-4A11-A1C9-BB75B68EDC6C.jpeg

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #792 of 2,130
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone is using a windows laptop or pc dedicated to Qobuz that you are controlling with an android phone. I've been on Qobuz studio for a few months now and really like it but due to my old dac dying I'm currently streaming via my Samsung S8 pushing an integrated amp from the headphone jack - obviously not the optimum setup though it does work better than I expected. My plan is to attach a Topping D10 to the Windows 7 laptop I've got lying around gathering dust and I would like to control the Qobuz Windows app with my S8. Do any of you have a recommendation for a phone app that will let me control the laptop that works well with the Qobuz Windows app? Qobuz is the only thing that the laptop will be used for so how well the phone app does other things isn't a factor. If you do a quick search in the play store you get a lot of results and I'd much rather have a starting point that just picking one based on reviews. I'd even be willing to shell out a few $ for a highly recommended one so free or not isn't a problem. The Qobuz windows app does what I need so I'm not interested in roon etc, I only want to stream using the laptop and control it with my phone. Thanks in advance!

What you describe is only available with third party solutions that do not rely on the Qobuz app for Windows. I use the free LMS/Squeezebox, but with that I get AllMusic.com written content instead of Qobuz content.

The official Qobuz phone apps can cast to Chromecast devices and other cast-compatible endpoints, but that's about as close as you'll come to what you're describing without a third-party app.

If you won't be roaming far from the laptop, and especially if you can attach it to a larger screen, you may want to consider a wireless keyboard like the Logitech K400 Plus to control the Qobuz app from your couch.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #793 of 2,130
What you describe is only available with third party solutions that do not rely on the Qobuz app for Windows. I use the free LMS/Squeezebox, but with that I get AllMusic.com written content instead of Qobuz content.

The official Qobuz phone apps can cast to Chromecast devices and other cast-compatible endpoints, but that's about as close as you'll come to what you're describing without a third-party app.

If you won't be roaming far from the laptop, and especially if you can attach it to a larger screen, you may want to consider a wireless keyboard like the Logitech K400 Plus to control the Qobuz app from your couch.

Thanks for the replys, a third party app is what I'm looking for. I have a chromecast audio dongle and it simply doesn't work well with hi res audio, skips a lot and they're no longer selling them so I don't look for that to be fixed anytime soon, I also have the standard chromecast dongle and a roku but they don't support hi res. I am considering the wireless kybd, as I have a flatscreen I use when I play SACDs. I like the idea of controlling the laptop with my phone mostly because it's right there already. I guess I'm going to start testing apps, I'll let y'all know what I come up with. Thanks again!

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #794 of 2,130
Thanks for the replys, a third party app is what I'm looking for. I have a chromecast audio dongle and it simply doesn't work well with hi res audio, skips a lot and they're no longer selling them so I don't look for that to be fixed anytime soon, I also have the standard chromecast dongle and a roku but they don't support hi res. I am considering the wireless kybd, as I have a flatscreen I use when I play SACDs. I like the idea of controlling the laptop with my phone mostly because it's right there already. I guess I'm going to start testing apps, I'll let y'all know what I come up with. Thanks again!

OK good luck. I'm betting you'll wind up using the official Qobuz app on your flatscreen, and for that all you need is the wireless keyboard. You said you're not interested in Roon etc., but for the record in my opinion the best choices for phone/tablet control of a Qobuz-compatible solution on Windows are Roon, Audirvana, and as I mentioned LMS.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #795 of 2,130
The Black Keys have a new album out today and it’s high res on Qobuz! “Let’s Rock”!

Yeah great album! I don't really follow Black Keys news, so wouldn't have seen this if it wasn't featured under new releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back