Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #766 of 2,130
Have you heard of USB Audio Player Pro?
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver
You install the app and connect an OTG adapter to your phone, thus killing all other interfering audio apps on your phone and thus your phone is connected via OTG USB to an USB DAC.
I do this all the time when streaming Qobuz. I connect my phone to my Questyle 12 CMA DAC/AMP and never have the audio stream dropping out.
Connected like this, my phone works as a comfortable Qobuz server.

Totally agree. USB Audio Player Pro is just great.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #767 of 2,130
Have you heard of USB Audio Player Pro?
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver
You install the app and connect an OTG adapter to your phone, thus killing all other interfering audio apps on your phone and thus your phone is connected via OTG USB to an USB DAC.
I do this all the time when streaming Qobuz. I connect my phone to my Questyle 12 CMA DAC/AMP and never have the audio stream dropping out.
Connected like this, my phone works as a comfortable Qobuz server.
I use UAPP almost daily, though ironically without a USB DAC - just whatever is in my phone.

I can see your approach work for short listening sessions, but usually I would listen at night, and my previous phone had terrible battery life. The few times that I have used that phone with a USB DAC, in conjunction with a USB-C adapter that allows simultaneous charging, the connection frequently dropped (crappy adapter, probably). I tend to use my phone and thus move it, so that doesn't help.

Probably works better with a separate phone, but then it's a shame that you can't easily control playback from your main phone, like you can with Spotify.

Oh, those first world problems. :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #768 of 2,130
Hit my first snag...Qobuz won't play any of my downloaded Stevie Ray Vaughn hi-res purchases. It plays Beatles White album in the same quality, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone seen this yet? (sorry for the blurry photo)

Cross posting this from the Fiio M11 thread. Has anyone seen this error from Qobuz on Android when trying to play back a purchased hi-res album? Other purchases of equal or greater play back fine, but SRV's Texas Flood and In Step throw this error.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #769 of 2,130
I've had a lot of weird errors lately myself not that you have, I've emailed Qobuz with my issues and tried their suggestions to fix none have worked so far..

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #770 of 2,130
I am bit angry at Qobuz at the moment. I have trouble listening to audio books at Qobuz with my iPhone Qobuz app, Between tracks like a second is going missing and this means like 2 to 3 words. If the tracks are short in some books, like 1 minute long, this makes a lot of missed words. Wrote them three times. They answered the second time:

Hello Reiner,
Thank you for your email. This problem has been identified and will be corrected in the next version of the app (5.3.3).
Have a nice day

We are at version 5.3.3. b on iOS and the problem is still there.
Funny thing, with my Android phone there is no such problem.

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #771 of 2,130
I´ve been using Qobuz sublime for 11 Months in Germany. I also found out that most of the Hi Res Files in 24/44 resolution don´t sound with clarity. I don´t have the equipment to test this. But I´m sure that the lack of resolution and clarity has to do with the fact that the files have been modified/upsampled.

The files in 24/48, 24/96 sound perfect for me. (They are mostly classic and jazz.) The problem is that most of the Hi Res files/Music I like from Qobuz, is in the resolution 24/44, which sound like the available files in CD quality.

I don´t know who is cheating, either Qobuz is upsampling the files or the music they are getting from the studios is already manipulated ( which makes no sense for me )

Qobuz still a good option for me. I´m very difficult to please in terms of sound quality.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #772 of 2,130
I´ve been using Qobuz sublime for 11 Months in Germany. I also found out that most of the Hi Res Files in 24/44 resolution don´t sound with clarity. I don´t have the equipment to test this. But I´m sure that the lack of resolution and clarity has to do with the fact that the files has been modified/upsampled.

The files in 24/48, 24/96 sound perfect for me. (They are mostly classic and jazz.) The problem is that most of the Hi Res files/Music I like from Qobuz, is in the resolution 24/44, which sound like a the available files in CD quality.

I don´t know who is cheating, either Qobuz is upsampling the files or the music they are getting from the studios is already manipulated ( which does make sense for me )

Qobuz still makes sense for me. I´m very difficult to please in terms of sound quality.

Hello from Czech Republic. I pay just under 11,50 Euro/month for tidal hifi. If I can see correctly I would have to pay 25 Euros for the somewhat equivalent qobuz plan. qobuz isn't available here so I checked the German price.

Is it really worth more than 2x of tidal hifi?

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #773 of 2,130
Yes, it is still worth. There is anything like Qobuz. Before I started with Qobuz I used to spend a lot of money on vinyl. Vinyl doesn't always sound good. There are a lot of quality issues related to vinyl (bad pressings, sibilance distortion)

Tidals hi res format MQA is difficult to manage and the hardware for playback expensive. Also Tidal library is good for hip-hop and r&b music, which I don't like.

If music and sound quality is important for you, then it is a good investment.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #774 of 2,130
I’m loving Qobuz and purchasing at discount hi res releases weekly for the past 7 months. I love the sound quality (Hugo 2) with Beyerdynamic T1.2 or Xelento.

MacBook Pro running slow with 1TB of his res music.

I’m not sure what to do w storage issue.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #775 of 2,130
Hello from Czech Republic. I pay just under 11,50 Euro/month for tidal hifi. If I can see correctly I would have to pay 25 Euros for the somewhat equivalent qobuz plan. qobuz isn't available here so I checked the German price.

Is it really worth more than 2x of tidal hifi?

192k files
96k files

Lots of rock Jazz and classical music - I love it

I am running on all the gear in my signature

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #776 of 2,130
I´ve been using Qobuz sublime for 11 Months in Germany. I also found out that most of the Hi Res Files in 24/44 resolution don´t sound with clarity. I don´t have the equipment to test this. But I´m sure that the lack of resolution and clarity has to do with the fact that the files have been modified/upsampled.

The files in 24/48, 24/96 sound perfect for me. (They are mostly classic and jazz.) The problem is that most of the Hi Res files/Music I like from Qobuz, is in the resolution 24/44, which sound like the available files in CD quality.

I don´t know who is cheating, either Qobuz is upsampling the files or the music they are getting from the studios is already manipulated ( which does make sense for me )

Qobuz still makes sense for me. I´m very difficult to please in terms of sound quality.
This one really caught my eye. Qobuz does not up or oversample anything. All content is provided by the labels and is totally unaltered by us.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #777 of 2,130
192k files
96k files

Lots of rock Jazz and classical music - I love it

I am running on all the gear in my signature

There are plenty of 192K and 96K MQA files on tidal. I don't know about the classical catalog, but my preference is jazz and classic rock and they have quite a nice selection.

I would sign up for a qobuz trial if it comes here but at this point it doesn't seem worth twice the price of tidal hifi.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #778 of 2,130
This one really caught my eye. Qobuz does not up or oversample anything. All content is provided by the labels and is totally unaltered by us.

Thank you for stating this clearly. Qobuz is not available in Czech Republic although our neighbors in German and Austria have it. If I judge from their price it is 2x or more what I pay for tidal hifi.

But, it is very good that qobuz has representation on this forum and answers questions. I have not seen any posts from tidal. So thank you for participating here! It is a very positive sign.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #779 of 2,130
Yes, it is still worth. There is anything like Qobuz. Before I started with Qobuz I used to spend a lot of money on vinyl. Vinyl doesn't always sound good. There are a lot of quality issues related to vinyl (bad pressings, sibilance distortion)

Tidals hi res format MQA is difficult to manage and the hardware for playback expensive. Also Tidal library is good for hip-hop and r&b music, which I don't like.

If music and sound quality is important for you, then it is a good investment.

I have a large album collection from the past and I am very happy with the sound quality. It is certainly not as convenient as digital files. Anyway, the streaming is a good option for easy use and it's not limited to qobuz.

I have an Oppo 205 which I bought because it's a great SACD player and has great DACs, and soon after I bought it they added MQA support. I agree with you MQA can be expensive but I got very lucky with this one. Ok, I paid huge money for the Oppo so it was still expensive. But I also have a Bluesound node 2i which supports MQA and it is a good option. Not very expensive and has great sound quality and probably a more useful GUI than tidal and more stable. Aside from the hate that MQA gets I consider it fine and there are affordable options if you want it. If you don't want it then it will be hard to justify spending money to support it.

Edit: I should point out the tidal apps have software support for MQA. You don't need external hardware although many people do have it.

You are right that there is too much hip hop and blaxploitation on tidal but there is enough good stuff on there. Without signing up for qobuz I can't know if their catalog for jazz and classic rock is better or worse than tidal hifi. But right now I have not heard any reasons that it should be more than twice the price.

I’m loving Qobuz and purchasing at discount hi res releases weekly for the past 7 months. I love the sound quality (Hugo 2) with Beyerdynamic T1.2 or Xelento.

MacBook Pro running slow with 1TB of his res music.

I’m not sure what to do w storage issue.

I don't know anything about mac or why it should slow down with 1TB of music. I think mac supports pretty good and fast USB options? Maybe an external hard drive using SSD would help?

I don't keep any music on my PCs. I have a small office server serving all media and then play it over a PC and various stereo components. Most people seem to be happy with some kind of NAS box when their collection grows.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #780 of 2,130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back