QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,236 of 2,715
In the review, they say the e-stats are from "Shengyang" which I'm pretty sure is just a bad transliteration of "Sonion" into Chinese. If you Google for "Shengyang sonion", you get quite a few hits. For example, one eBay page advertises the DUNU EST 112 as having "Shengyang" e-stat unit, which we know for sure is actually from Sonion.

Thank you for the info ✌️

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #2,237 of 2,715
qdc Gemini (since 2017) user here. After reading many reviews, I'm stuck at going for either the Anole V14 or the Empire Ears Odin. Yes, the Odin is much more expensive but is it overpriced like EE IEMs all are. I want to know the difference in resolution/detail retrieval between the bright VX and the smooth V14? Oh and how much more (or possibly less?) detailed is the Odin vs V14. More intrigued with info for treble performance than the already great bass performance and acceptable mids off these flagships. Only looking at V14 and Odin for their technicalities and for their semi custom fit that will stay in my ear like the Gemini unlike IER-Z1R, KSE1200/1500 and U12t that all fall out. Only the universals for re-sellability.

I'm pushing for the most detailed IEM for my money. I use STAX for over ears so detail detail is what I want. No Shure KSE1200/1500: falls out ear, no removable cable that I will break, can't plug into any DAP without the bulky energizer. Clearly there are other detailed alternatives like....ahem Odin and Anole V14.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #2,238 of 2,715
qdc Gemini (since 2017) user here. After reading many reviews, I'm stuck at going for either the Anole V14 or the Empire Ears Odin. Yes, the Odin is much more expensive but is it overpriced like EE IEMs all are. I want to know the difference in resolution/detail retrieval between the bright VX and the smooth V14? Oh and how much more (or possibly less?) detailed is the Odin vs V14. More intrigued with info for treble performance than the already great bass performance and acceptable mids off these flagships. Only looking at V14 and Odin for their technicalities and for their semi custom fit that will stay in my ear like the Gemini unlike IER-Z1R, KSE1200/1500 and U12t that all fall out. Only the universals for re-sellability.

I'm pushing for the most detailed IEM for my money. I use STAX for over ears so detail detail is what I want. No Shure KSE1200/1500: falls out ear, no removable cable that I will break, can't plug into any DAP without the bulky energizer. Clearly there are other detailed alternatives like....ahem Odin and Anole V14.

I have both and I prefer the V14. The bass is excellent with greater mid-bass presence than the Odin. The issue with the Odin is the pinna gain @2kHz, it gets shouty which makes the listening experience with less than well recorded material a cringe worthy experience. I have to eq the midrange down to make it listenable for long listening sessions. The trebles on the V14 are nicely extended and silkier sounding than the VX, in my humble opinion.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,239 of 2,715

I am also searching for a very detailed IEM at the moment. I have the Odin at the moment and will get the VX in a couple of days. I can let you know how they compare. The Odin is very detailed, especially in the bass and mids. The highs were a disappointment for me. They are good but considering that they have EST drivers they don't sound like it. Poor recordings sound trash due to the upper mid peak which can make it fatiguing. The perfect IEM for me would be the Odin paired with the MEST highs and a more neutral upper mid area.

I have both and I prefer the V14. The bass is excellent with greater mid-bass presence than the Odin. The issue with the Odin is the pinna gain @2kHz, it gets shouty which makes the listening experience with less than well recorded material a cringe worthy experience. I have to eq the midrange down to make it listenable for long listening sessions. The trebles on the V14 are nicely extended and silkier sounding than the VX, in my humble opinion.
I can agree on the Odin. How would you describe the detail retrieval of the V14 compared to the Odin?

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #2,240 of 2,715
I am also searching for a very detailed IEM at the moment. I have the Odin at the moment and will get the VX in a couple of days. I can let you know how they compare. The Odin is very detailed, especially in the bass and mids. The highs were a disappointment for me. They are good but considering that they have EST drivers they don't sound like it. Poor recordings sound trash due to the upper mid peak which can make it fatiguing. The perfect IEM for me would be the Odin paired with the MEST highs and a more neutral upper mid area.

I can agree on the Odin. How would you describe the detail retrieval of the V14 compared to the Odin?

I’m rotating all my recently purchased iems, so let me get back to you on that …

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #2,241 of 2,715
That was quick, just got the VX a couple moments after my post :smile: First impressions: it is a very easy to understand IEM (contratry to the Odin). Quite linear and does nothing wrong. Compared to the Odin I find it less detailled (with quite a gap) and less clear. Bass is also nowhere near the Odin. I don't know, but it sounds boring to me. It's not clear enough to be analytical and also not warm. Feels like it has no real identity. Fit and looks are awesome.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,242 of 2,715
That was quick, just got the VX a couple moments after my post :smile: First impressions: it is a very easy to understand IEM (contratry to the Odin). Quite linear and does nothing wrong. Compared to the Odin I find it less detailled (with quite a gap) and less clear. Bass is also nowhere near the Odin. I don't know, but it sounds boring to me. It's not clear enough to be analytical and also not warm. Feels like it has no real identity. Fit and looks are awesome.
Love your display photo! Do you mind posting the full res image?

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,243 of 2,715
Actually, am worried about the treble performance of V14. Some say it is harsh and peak; the other find the treble smooth compared to VX. Also would be great to have the treble part of V14 and Odin compared. As to VX , I couldn't stand the heat in the upper section. Would be great to set the milestones - a.e., if the VX are harsh and peaky, what would be the V14 and Odin in comparison.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,244 of 2,715
Some say it is harsh and peak; the other find the treble smooth compared to VX.

Remember that people always have different ears, setups, and preferences. For example, using wide bore ear tips like Sedna vs narrow bore tips like Final Type-E can give a dramatic effect to the treble region which can account for how folks perceive the sound.
Also would be great to have the treble part of V14 and Odin compared.

From Crinacle's graph tool: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Odin_EE,Anole_V14_0000. It has all the various toggles for the v14 as well.
graph.png

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #2,245 of 2,715
I don't think the VX is on the same league as the Odin, U18t, VE Elysium in terms of resolution, plus a very big price gap. That's where I need a side by side comparison between the Anole V14 and the Odin to see where the V14 falls. I like the impression that they do the highs very extended and smoothly like an electrostat vs the shouty VX (STAX vs HD800(S) situation).

The V14 will drop in price in some time at Musicteck. I've seen the VX go as low as $1600 on the site, brand new. I don't have the VX as I had the Gemini a year before the release. Gemini does highs so good and mids are 10/10. The VX is only slightly more resolving so I was like nah, don't like the silver spider web design vs the beautiful green/yellow wood faceplate and light green shell with gold foils on my Gemini universal. The V14 universal design is gorgeous especially the UV colors, so I'll definitely get the standard off Musicteck.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2,246 of 2,715
Remember that people always have different ears, setups, and preferences. For example, using wide bore ear tips like Sedna vs narrow bore tips like Final Type-E can give a dramatic effect to the treble region which can account for how folks perceive the sound.

From Crinacle's graph tool: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Odin_EE,Anole_V14_0000. It has all the various toggles for the v14 as well.
graph.png

Agree and disagree (or just ad my 5cc) - as example, I can feel the difference on my ier m9 between spiral dot and type-e, but I wouldn't use epithets like "dramatic", "night and day" etc.

As to the graph - as reference point only. On your graph - V14 has deeper bass impact, but at the same time people say Odin has one of the deepest sub-bas ever. Whom to trust - graphs or opinions of the real users?

another point - VX has the peak "only" @6kHz, but to me it is bright overall, not some specific region.

my point is, it is not all about the graphs.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,247 of 2,715
Agree and disagree (or just ad my 5cc) - as example, I can feel the difference on my ier m9 between spiral dot and type-e, but I wouldn't use epithets like "dramatic", "night and day" etc.

As to the graph - as reference point only. On your graph - V14 has deeper bass impact, but at the same time people say Odin has one of the deepest sub-bas ever. Whom to trust - graphs or opinions of the real users?

another point - VX has the peak "only" @6kHz, but to me it is bright overall, not some specific region.

my point is, it is not all about the graphs.
Graphs don't really say anything about sub bass impact. qdc Gemini has 70 db on 20hz-50hz too but the sub bass is flat, lighter than VX with much stronger sub bass emphasis with the same graph readings around 70 db down there.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #2,248 of 2,715
Whom to trust - graphs or opinions of the real users?

Haha at the end of the day, it's all up to your ears my friend. Measurements definitely aren't the end all be all: the V14's ultra-high switch #4 doesn't register on Crinacle's graphs, but I definitely hear a difference). That said, it can at least give you a starting point to look into. If for example you find that the VX is bright, then comparing the overall shape of the VX vs the V14 can give you some sense of if the V14 might be bright for you as well.

However, at the end of the day everybody's ears are different and will tell you different things. I for example realized I have very sensitive ears and can hear dramatic differences based on eartip or cable (I wouldn't have blown thousands on cables otherwise), yet some friends I know look at me funny when they demo my stuff. The best suggestion I have for you is to find a dealer that has a trial policy and contact them to see if they have a loaner that you can try out before buying.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,249 of 2,715
Got the chance to demo V14, but I ain't gonna buy it heh

V14 is not bad, very obvious qdc signature sound from the start. Nicer tonality than VX, but then I prefer 8sl to VX so I wanted to check if it's an upgrade to 8sl. It is more refined than 8sl, slightly higher resolution, depth and oomph with male vocals and bass but female vocals maybe bit too shrill on default setting. The switches 1 or 2 or all-on kinda helped in that aspect. The bass is better than vx, especially snare drums are more detailed and kick drums hit harder and fuller, but still not as deep extension wise as U12t. Didn't notice a big soundstage or imaging improvement over 8sl, staging isn't very wide or deep, and instruments are close towards the center, with the occasional cymbal being far left-right. V14 is perhaps more cohesive in the fact that there isn't any obnoxious black-hole gap in the stage that isn't used (ie it makes good use of the soundstage), so it is very pleasant on tracks with many instruments going crazy (i used Majestica's "Above The Sky"). It sounds more exciting and shimmery compared with 8sl with 8sl being more melancholic and emotional on vocals. 8sl is still best tonality wise overall imo, though I only tried individual switches and all-on on V14

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,250 of 2,715

I’ve been listening to my Odin and V14 in order to properly reply to your question. I used the same 1960s cable in order to eliminate that variable. As mentioned, the Odin has tons of detail but due to its midrange bump, it is fatiguing with less than stellar recordings as well as with some female vocalists. The V14 does not have this excessive midrange (all switches off), so it is far more enjoyable to my ears. Part of this is also due to its better mid-bass presence which balances the sound in a more desirable manner.

The Odin has very extended trebles, but sometimes they’re presented with a somewhat sterile quality where the V14 trebles are silkier. There is, however, a bit of tizz as I hear it with the V14, a finely granulated character, and this quality drove me to experiment with a different cable by using my Odin’s 1960s cable which improved this quality. As far as detail retrieval goes, I’d give the edge to the Odin, but as far as musicality and tone, the V14 betters it. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Staging goes to the Odin, but just by a bit. Both models produce a big sounding stage where images are clearly delineated in a three dimensional space. This is to be expected with flagship models from my experience.

If I had to choose between the two, the V14 is to my ears a more engaging and musical performer, but clearly the music genre will dictate different results. I love the Odin when I listen to symphonic music while the V14 kicks butt with edm, as an example.

Hope that helps … ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back