QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,096 of 2,715
coming from Solaris, I'm now using QDC Anole VX pair with iBasso DX229, the only obvious different between these 2 IEM is the sound (vocal and instrument) from Solaris is more forward. I feel ear fatigue after long listening with Solaris. It could be the signature of AMP 9 from iBasso.

Still not yet try the Amp1 MK II.

Seems like you spend an extra $900 on VX for a prettt minor upgrade...

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,100 of 2,715
coming from Solaris, I'm now using QDC Anole VX pair with iBasso DX229, the only obvious different between these 2 IEM is the sound (vocal and instrument) from Solaris is more forward. I feel ear fatigue after long listening with Solaris. It could be the signature of AMP 9 from iBasso.

I've owned (and loved) the Solaris for the past few months. I demoed the VX last weekend and was impressed enough to order one. I agree that in terms of overall signature the two are very alike-- they both go for a very balanced sound and they both have a similar dip in the upper mids. That said there were a number of differences that jumped out at me right away. The VX has more mid bass impact, and its bass is much quicker with a shorter decay (due to its BA drivers). As a result its detail retrieval and resolution are better. I would also say that the VX is the more aggressive of the two. My favorite thing about the VX sound is its clarity and vividness. The VX's sound has this almost ethereal quality about it-- it's hard to fully describe. It's quite addictive though and what was what ultimately tempted me to order one a couple days after I demoed. The VX also has the best BA bass I've ever heard.

The Solaris also has many great qualities. It has a more laid back analogue tonality which I enjoy just as much. It has less bass impact but because of its DD the bass has often has a slightly different timbre, which isn't noticeable all the time but to those of us who love DD bass it is definitely noticeable. Just due to the vibratory nature of the bass you lose the speed of attack that the VX has and consequently a bit of the detail and resolution. The sound is marginally less clean and clear on the Solaris. Imaging, separation, layering and sound stage are excellent on both. On the whole I would say the Solaris sounds tad more natural and "organic".

My time with the VX wasn't long enough to state anything absolutely at this point-- I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it to decide which one I prefer. The clarity, vividness, detail and improved bass impact are all strong points in its favor. The big question for me is whether I can go without the DD bass and more analogue and natural tonality of the Solaris, which is no small thing for me. Will update more once I have the VX in my hands.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,101 of 2,715
0831190931.jpg
doing a bit of tip rolling this morning.
Top row: Acoustune AET08 M, Sony Hybrid M, Symbio MandarinES S, Spiral Dot S, Faudio Vocal S, Radius Deep Mount S, Spinfit M
Bottom row: Faudio Instrument S, Acoustune AET07 M, AZLA SednaEar Light Short S, AZLA SednaEar Light SS

So far with the clear winner for me is the Sedna light SS, with very good clarity and stage due to its stiff core and outer and super wide bore. Bass is lighter.

For subbass, go for the Faudio instrument. It has a good balance in both the top and bottom end. Sony Hybrid is still best for those who want a bit more bass out of their VX.

The Faudio Vocal works as marketed, with clear recesses to treble/bass which brings the vocal forward.

Symbio is more upper mid to treble focused, like the Sedna, but I do get a better fit from the AZLA tips.

AET07 is a more mid bass version of the Faudio inst.

spinfit/AET08- meh all around, the fit is good, but it has too much mid bass for me, and it made the VX sound muddy after using Sedna

Radius deep mount/ spiral dots, cant get a good fit on them so I wont comment on it.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,102 of 2,715
i have so many iems, so i bought the qdc fusion, and man if you replace the stock cable with a hybrid silver- copper cable such as OC studio cable monarch, it just gives the qdc fusion a huge upgrade in every aspect. this makes me believe the stock cable is trash compared to my aftermarket cable, as if a veil been lifted after i changed the cable, what a huge difference

Bass is tight, mids now are clear and detailed and highs are perfect, most important soundstage is wider

remove the stock cable whether the single ended or balanced stock are simply bad they totally restrain the QDC Fusion to show its glory, this is literally the first time i witness how bad a stock cable is compared to an aftermarket cable

whomever has the qdc fusion do yourself a favor and remove the trashy stock cable

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #1,105 of 2,715
the chifi plague is here... hows the initial impression? gonna sell ur solaris soon?

Loving it so far. Too soon to tell re Solaris. Bass quantity is better on VX (my biggest issue with Solaris) but VX is the best BA bass I've ever heard and if I can roll with it exclusively without missing DD bass timbre then this could be it.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,106 of 2,715
Loving it so far. Too soon to tell re Solaris. Bass quantity is better on VX (my biggest issue with Solaris) but VX is the best BA bass I've ever heard and if I can roll with it exclusively without missing DD bass timbre then this could be it.

I assume you are still using the stock cable, which is kinda bad. you should get a cheap balanced cable for it for now, and get a better one if you decide to keep VX.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,107 of 2,715
I assume you are still using the stock cable, which is kinda bad. you should get a cheap balanced cable for it for now, and get a better one if you decide to keep VX.

I might buy one off Titienne.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,108 of 2,715

Dude! Can't believe you actually got one haha. I told you that bass is just incredible.

They also really do have an intensity to them, but I love it. It's the first iem I picked up that I knew I was keeping.

Sometimes the shape is a bit strange for my right ear and it gets a bit sweaty and slippery, making the unit slowly slide out, but foam tips help. Other than that, they're perfect. I've thought about going custom with them.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,109 of 2,715
Dude! Can't believe you actually got one haha. I told you that bass is just incredible.

They also really do have an intensity to them, but I love it. It's the first iem I picked up that I knew I was keeping.

Sometimes the shape is a bit strange for my right ear and it gets a bit sweaty and slippery, making the unit slowly slide out, but foam tips help. Other than that, they're perfect. I've thought about going custom with them.

Yeah it's kind of funny how things work hey. That guy I connected you with on reddit ended up ordering one and I met him at a meet last week and demoed his and decided to order one. It's so good. I'm blown away by how good the bass is actually-- I can't even tell it's BA, which is the first time I can actually say that about BA bass. Even the U12t doesn't have bass this good. It's got a nice aggressive sound sig that I'm really enjoying, with some nice mid-bass oomph. It's so vivid and detailed. The biggest variable for me at this point is fit. So far so good but we'll see it holds up when I'm wearing it for multiple hours.

Sep 3, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,110 of 2,715
Yeah it's kind of funny how things work hey. That guy I connected you with on reddit ended up ordering one and I met him at a meet last week and demoed his and decided to order one. It's so good. I'm blown away by how good the bass is actually-- I can't even tell it's BA, which is the first time I can actually say that about BA bass. Even the U12t doesn't have bass this good. It's got a nice aggressive sound sig that I'm really enjoying, with some nice mid-bass oomph. It's so vivid and detailed. The biggest variable for me at this point is fit. So far so good but we'll see it holds up when I'm wearing it for multiple hours.

Well I'm glad to have another on team qdc! Yeah I had the u12t and Anole both for a week or so and it's the only way I would have believed how much better the Anole is. I felt like the only thing that I thought was comparable was the soundstage. Yeah it's definitely vivid. That's actually a great word to describe them. What are your favorite tips on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back