QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #706 of 2,715
I wrote a review on the Anole V3.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qdc-anole-v3.23655/reviews

Crinacle gives them a solid B rating.
https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

I like them, and actually own two pairs. They are on the pricy side as far as overall detail for the buck, still they have many amazing features. They are some of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever used. Also they really do great bass, and the best bass of the limited qdc line I have heard. It may be the style of music you like? I listen to techno 100% of the time with em?

As you can read in my review the Anole V3S has a smoothness and complete naturalness for what it is. I have a collection of IEMs and the Anole holds a special place. Though keep in mind this hobby is 1000% subjective taste. Crinacle gives the Sony N3 a higher rating than the Anole V3S, but I have to disagree. So there is another example of difference in opinion.
:) Cheers!
Whew, Thanks, for a minute there I thought I had bought a hunk of junk. Also, to tell the truth, I bought them after reading your review.
IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #707 of 2,715
Congrats. I also blind purchased the Anole V3S earlier this year based on the reviews I read and I love it. (Granted it was a pre-owned pair but still sounded excellent.)
I am in the U.S. and unlike some very few lucky ones we don't get the chance to travel to Asia very often to audition the qdc line of products. I was lucky enough to stop by an IEM specialty store in Taiwan in April. They only had 2 of the qdc 8-drivers for demo (8SH and 8SS). I compared them to my V3S and I agree the 8-series are definitely an upgrade. The details, the soundstage, the imaging, the instrument separation, and etc., you name it. But they are also almost three times the price of V3S.

However, the V3S is also very unique in its own way. The bass hits harder on the V3S and it came with sound tuning switches. I compared the V3S with other $200 - $500 IEMs I have and I like V3S better. For that I think the V3S purchase was definitely worth it. I know the VX would be a better IEM but I just don't have the $2K to burn at the moment so I am happy with the V3S for now (I didn't buy the 8-series in April). I am sure you would be happy with yours too.
Same here Jim

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #708 of 2,715
Thank you, I'm really quite thrilled to have them! Your post went a long way toward making me feel better about my purchase.
You are welcome. The V3S gave me one of those wow factors when I first got them. The bass sounded more like dynamic drivers. (I was comparing to the Westone's and Shure's.) I also noticed that the tips I use can affect the sound quite a bit. Among all the tips I have tried, I like the Spinfit the most. I did play with the switches a little bit initially and settled with the default mode (both switches off). I prefer natural, not neutral type of sound. So I normally don't pay too much attention to the frequency response charts. The music source (high resolution files) also plays a vital role in the final sound quality. Hope you will enjoy the V3S as much as I do.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #709 of 2,715
Great information, thank you again. I've only tried the white silicone that was already mounted, just to ensure they were both working. Same with the Ear Mirrors, just made sure they were all working and set them to burning in with alacrity. George C. said to burn his in for 50 hours. I think I read, in all my research, that the V3S needs about that long, as well. These are by far the best ear speakers I ever acquired, so I want to do it right. I have the EM5813 on a Schitt Audio Magni and Modi 3 turning out MQA from TIDAL at about 1/2 volume and the V3S is listening to Hi Res tracks on the Activo CT10 also about half. I gotta tell you, they both sounded amazing out of the box. Both had deep, deep low end and highs were bright but not blaring. After being told it was a bad idea on my second post was discouraging so it was great to get a second opinion! I do tend to try things for myself and then form my own opinion. Please let me know if I'm doing things wrong with the V3S, and thank you again jim :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #710 of 2,715
I wrote a review on the Anole V3.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qdc-anole-v3.23655/reviews

Crinacle gives them a solid B rating.
https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

I like them, and actually own two pairs. They are on the pricy side as far as overall detail for the buck, still they have many amazing features. They are some of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever used. Also they really do great bass, and the best bass of the limited qdc line I have heard. It may be the style of music you like? I listen to techno 100% of the time with em?

As you can read in my review the Anole V3S has a smoothness and complete naturalness for what it is. I have a collection of IEMs and the Anole holds a special place. Though keep in mind this hobby is 1000% subjective taste. Crinacle gives the Sony N3 a higher rating than the Anole V3S, but I have to disagree. So there is another example of difference in opinion.
:) Cheers!
Your darned review caused me to go out and get a pair! What a guy, keep up the excellent work

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #711 of 2,715
Your darned review caused me to go out and get a pair! What a guy, keep up the excellent work

Thank-you! Glad you liked them right off. They are very understated and don’t offer a bunch of pizzazz right away; but become great after some mental acclimation. IMO

In the review I just try to explain what the Anole V3S is for better or worse.

There are no perfect IEMs out there, but there are some which can consistently make listening fun, and leave no wanting for trying to buy more gear. I am somewhat of a bass-head, so the V3 does the job. Still it’s subjective, where whole groups are going to be focused on a more harmonically complex and active midrange; and for those groups the V3 will come off inept. Head-Fi has always been this way and will always be subjective.

It’s been almost a year since purchase and I’m still thrilled by how they sound. They still look beautiful and are totally fun IEMs.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/overlordrush.425386/ simply doesn’t like V signatures or the slightly L shape the V3 offers. That’s why companies at times offer different tunings.....to make everyone happy.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #712 of 2,715
Your review was pretty objective to me, you pointed out Amole's good points along with the bad. We all have to decide for ourselves what is 'good'. I read specs and measurements but they're not the end-all when it comes to sound. My ears can't read, lol

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #713 of 2,715
Besides, how're you going to know about an iem when unable to audition, if not by asking others who own them?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #714 of 2,715
sigh... I'm about to tell you why V3 was a bad idea. And honestly if you are happy with your purchase, what I think should not effect or change you opinion at all. Before you accuse me to be a qdc or chifi hater, I had a qdc Gemini for about a year, and the only reason I don't have my Gemini anymore is because I got a qdc VX. And I had my VX a few months after it was released. I have demo most of qdc's lineup multiple times, and that includes the entire Anole lineup.

Alright!!! let me tell you why qdc V3 is literally the worst IEM in their entire lineup.

qdc IEMs are known for 2 things
1. their house neutral warm balanced tuning
2. their technicalities i.e. resolution/accuracy/soundstage

The majority of qdc lineup have a neutral warm sound signature, with the exception of their studio monitors (4SS,8SS) and the Anole line (V3,V6). The switches on the Anole line is a gimmick and badly implemented, most Anole owners leave both switches off after the novelty wears off. Even with both switches off, the V3 is still by far the most V shaped qdc. What they should have done is to keep the sound signature closer to the rest of their lineup when the switches are off, and tuned them more V shaped with the switches on. But instead, V3 is either V shaped or REALLY V shapped. Guess what happened to the new Anole VX? Its a neutral balanced IEM with the switches off and a V shaped sound with them on... I also dont see the point of buying a V shaped BA IEM,when a single DD driver configuration is far better than a 3 BA setup in terms is sound and technicalities in the 500ish range. The $100USD iBasso it01 shares a striking similar sound signature with the V3 while having more bass dynamic; acoustune 1551 while having more treble than V3, at $390 its better than V3 in every way possible; and if you are able to find a A&K T8IE mk2, its cost just as much as the V3 being a single DD IEM as well.

I hope you can get the chance to demo any of the qdc's flagship lineup (8series, VX), they are known for being excellent all rounder IEMs. And since we love crin's list here so much, 3 out of 9 S-tier IEMs on his list are from qdc (8SL, Gemini, VX) while 8SL being the Cheapest S-tier IEM at $1400. If you compare just on technical performance alone, there is a noticeable improvements of detail/accuracy from V6 to their flagship lineup. While qdc is incredibly good at making their flagship IEMs, they have trouble scaling down the BA counts and still keep the resolution their IEMs known to offer. The current flagship qdc VX cost a bit more than twice as much as the V6, and VX's technical performance is about 100% better than the V6 and the same can also be siad about Anole V3 vs V6. qdc seems to not understand the idea of diminishing return when it comes to pricing their IEMs, if it cost twice as much, it sounds twice as good. This the reason why qdc's flagship are very good budget IEMs in terms of the performance they offer, while the non-flagships are too expensive for what they are, so I find it very difficult to recommend any of the non-flagship lineup from qdc.

well... now i got that out of my system, welcome to the qdcult. if you have any question regarding cable or source paring, I'm happy to help...

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #715 of 2,715
I ordered the Anole V3S, it will be here tomorrow! Getting excited, bought it unheard.

I currently have the Anole V3. I'm not sure about the V3S, but if they're anything like the V3, they're going to be fantastic. Real talk, after I got them I considered selling my Geminis. Before you throw rocks at me, it's not because they're better, because technically they're far off from what the Geminis can do. However, the V3 hit my own personal target curve so well, and are such an unfatiguing and relaxing listen that they get so much eartime! While I'm sure the previous comments on the thread before this post could be a downer, keep in mind that everything in this hobby is subjective. One man's trash could be another man's treasure, and in the end personal preferences matter significantly (unless they're really absolute garbage). I rarely buy blind, but since you've taken a leap of faith, I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #716 of 2,715
sigh... I'm about to tell you why V3 was a bad idea. And honestly if you are happy with your purchase, what I think should not effect or change you opinion at all. Before you accuse me to be a qdc or chifi hater, I had a qdc Gemini for about a year, and the only reason I don't have my Gemini anymore is because I got a qdc VX. And I had my VX a few months after it was released. I have demo most of qdc's lineup multiple times, and that includes the entire Anole lineup.

Alright!!! let me tell you why qdc V3 is literally the worst IEM in their entire lineup.

qdc IEMs are known for 2 things
1. their house neutral warm balanced tuning
2. their technicalities i.e. resolution/accuracy/soundstage

The majority of qdc lineup have a neutral warm sound signature, with the exception of their studio monitors (4SS,8SS) and the Anole line (V3,V6). The switches on the Anole line is a gimmick and badly implemented, most Anole owners leave both switches off after the novelty wears off. Even with both switches off, the V3 is still by far the most V shaped qdc. What they should have done is to keep the sound signature closer to the rest of their lineup when the switches are off, and tuned them more V shaped with the switches on. But instead, V3 is either V shaped or REALLY V shapped. Guess what happened to the new Anole VX? Its a neutral balanced IEM with the switches off and a V shaped sound with them on... I also dont see the point of buying a V shaped BA IEM,when a single DD driver configuration is far better than a 3 BA setup in terms is sound and technicalities in the 500ish range. The $100USD iBasso it01 shares a striking similar sound signature with the V3 while having more bass dynamic; acoustune 1551 while having more treble than V3, at $390 its better than V3 in every way possible; and if you are able to find a A&K T8IE mk2, its cost just as much as the V3 being a single DD IEM as well.

I hope you can get the chance to demo any of the qdc's flagship lineup (8series, VX), they are known for being excellent all rounder IEMs. And since we love crin's list here so much, 3 out of 9 S-tier IEMs on his list are from qdc (8SL, Gemini, VX) while 8SL being the Cheapest S-tier IEM at $1400. If you compare just on technical performance alone, there is a noticeable improvements of detail/accuracy from V6 to their flagship lineup. While qdc is incredibly good at making their flagship IEMs, they have trouble scaling down the BA counts and still keep the resolution their IEMs known to offer. The current flagship qdc VX cost a bit more than twice as much as the V6, and VX's technical performance is about 100% better than the V6 and the same can also be siad about Anole V3 vs V6. qdc seems to not understand the idea of diminishing return when it comes to pricing their IEMs, if it cost twice as much, it sounds twice as good. This the reason why qdc's flagship are very good budget IEMs in terms of the performance they offer, while the non-flagships are too expensive for what they are, so I find it very difficult to recommend any of the non-flagship lineup from qdc.

well... now i got that out of my system, welcome to the qdcult. if you have any question regarding cable or source paring, I'm happy to help...

I agree with pretty much all you have written. And.......your spot on about the Anole V3S even being V shaped with the switches in stock mode. Your right Crin’s list puts part of the rest of the qdc line-up even higher up. The only thing you still have failed to realize is some folks are into a less technical, darker, bass heavy.....signature. It’s not a stellar value............... though when you combine the fact that the form factor and fit are way different than the upper line, and the V3 naturally sounds different........and some value those aspects. There is a price point here.....regarding sound and fit, that still make the V3 relevant as a purchase; even though you fail to value those aspects yourself.

Also I don’t see why you don’t appreciate the look and size of the Anole V3S......nothing in my collection of IEMs is like them; and they are cool looking as heck?

Though your so right about so many aspects, and I agree the dip switches are somewhat of a gimmick. The switches seem to ruin the natural sound the V3 has stock, I don’t use them. Though in theory the switches seem like a great idea, it’s just not implemented well here.

Maybe the iBasso it01 does it all the same for $100? You could be right? I have not heard all the IEMs out there. Still the iBasso it01 may not be exactly the same? I have tried the it04 and didn’t like it at all?

Even though you have heard the Anole V3, you may not have heard it with the Sony 1Z in 4.4mm balanced mode with the Hansound Zen 4 wire OFC cable? It takes the Anole V3S from being slightly lack luster and amazingly makes it even more V shaped. And while common sense says you need to match it with a flat signal, the even warmer and more “V” shape adds an excitement factor to the IEM. IMO The Anole V3 likes a robust soundstage and increased treble response in the end?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #717 of 2,715
I agree with pretty much all you have written. And.......your spot on about the Anole V3S even being V shaped with the switches in stock mode. Your right Crin’s list puts part of the rest of the qdc line-up even higher up. The only thing you still have failed to realize is some folks are into a less technical, darker, bass heavy.....signature. It’s not a stellar value............... though when you combine the fact that the form factor and fit are way different than the upper line, and the V3 naturally sounds different........and some value those aspects. There is a price point here.....regarding sound and fit, that still make the V3 relevant as a purchase; even though you fail to value those aspects yourself. Though your so right about so many aspects, and I agree the dip switches are somewhat of a gimmick. The switches seem to ruin the natural sound the V3 has stock, I don’t use them. Though in theory the switches seem like a great idea, it’s just not implemented well here.

Maybe the iBasso it01 does it all the same for $100? You could be right? I have not heard all the IEMs out there. Still the iBasso it01 may not be exactly the same?

Great write-up! I think sometimes in this hobby many of us can fail to overlook or forget that our own personal opinions sometimes conflict with someone else's due to preferences, just like most things in the real world. The Anole V3 may not be very technical, but they have a place in my collection to relax and wind down after a tiring day at school/work. Others might have the same opinion, or they might not, and that's all okay. In the years of being in this hobby, the single greatest lesson I've learnt is to trust my own ears, and if I'm happy with something I have, who's to tell me I shouldn't be? (Also **** ME the Anole V3 is beautiful, extra points for that)

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #718 of 2,715
D1E8C5ED-9169-440F-9C5D-203A58A21754.jpeg
Great write-up! I think sometimes in this hobby many of us can fail to overlook or forget that our own personal opinions sometimes conflict with someone else's due to preferences, just like most things in the real world. The Anole V3 may not be very technical, but they have a place in my collection to relax and wind down after a tiring day at school/work. Others might have the same opinion, or they might not, and that's all okay. In the years of being in this hobby, the single greatest lesson I've learnt is to trust my own ears, and if I'm happy with something I have, who's to tell me I shouldn't be? (Also **** ME the Anole V3 is beautiful, extra points for that)

Part of it too comes from the fact we get used to what we are using as an IEM. If I spent two weeks using a bright IEM, everything will sound dull.....and even terribly too dull, till brain adapting takes place. But I’ve used the V3 as my main IEM before even with many other choices. I tend to move across using different IEMs not always finding one to be a total favorite? Still the V3 sound can easily be found as less than optimal for some I’m sure. It’s not well rounded really. But in the IEM world having a specific personality can be an attribute. IMO?

I simply like how the V3 does electronic drums and bass? They are not for everybody?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #719 of 2,715
I agree with pretty much all you have written. And.......your spot on about the Anole V3S even being V shaped with the switches in stock mode. Your right Crin’s list puts part of the rest of the qdc line-up even higher up. The only thing you still have failed to realize is some folks are into a less technical, darker, bass heavy.....signature. It’s not a stellar value............... though when you combine the fact that the form factor and fit are way different than the upper line, and the V3 naturally sounds different........and some value those aspects. There is a price point here.....regarding sound and fit, that still make the V3 relevant as a purchase; even though you fail to value those aspects yourself.

Also I don’t see why you don’t appreciate the look and size of the Anole V3S......nothing in my collection of IEMs is like them; and they are cool looking as heck?

Though your so right about so many aspects, and I agree the dip switches are somewhat of a gimmick. The switches seem to ruin the natural sound the V3 has stock, I don’t use them. Though in theory the switches seem like a great idea, it’s just not implemented well here.

Maybe the iBasso it01 does it all the same for $100? You could be right? I have not heard all the IEMs out there. Still the iBasso it01 may not be exactly the same? I have tried the it04 and didn’t like it at all?

Even though you have heard the Anole V3, you may not have heard it with the Sony 1Z in 4.4mm balanced mode with the Hansound Zen 4 wire OFC cable? It takes the Anole V3S from being slightly lack luster and amazingly makes it even more V shaped. And while common sense says you need to match it with a flat signal, the even warmer and more “V” shape adds an excitement factor to the IEM. IMO The Anole V3 likes a robust soundstage and increased treble response in the end?

So, im right and im right? thanks.

The fit and form are pretty much the same across all the qdc lineup, even the 1BA neptune is not that much smaller than the 10BA VX. The shell design are all custom, meaning you can get any design you want with any qdc IEM. So the fit/size/form factor and design argument is irrelevant. I also understand than sound signature is preference, that's why i also give 3 very good alternatives to the V3 and they all out perform the V3 while being cheaper. Also please don't give me the excuse of 'oh but you have to try it with this' excuse, because I have. A WM1Z will not save V3, it only exacerbate its terrible V shape problems, and even if you think 1Z is great with V3, what do you think sounds better? V3 paired with WM1Z or a VX with WM1A? because those two combo cost pretty much the same.

This is not ok, blind buying anything is silly, its not just the V3, if the next person post some dumb excuse of how much they love their VX that they bought blind. I will tell do the same and tell them that VX is literally the most mediocre TOTL iem you can ever buy, and its probably the most annoying iem you can ever own... look, im not **** on qdc here, but please don't reinforce other people terrible decision.

Jun 7, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #720 of 2,715
So, im right and im right? thanks.

The fit and form are pretty much the same across all the qdc lineup, even the 1BA neptune is not that much smaller than the 10BA VX. The shell design are all custom, meaning you can get any design you want with any qdc IEM. So the fit/size/form factor and design argument is irrelevant. I also understand than sound signature is preference, that's why i also give 3 very good alternatives to the V3 and they all out perform the V3 while being cheaper. Also please don't give me the excuse of 'oh but you have to try it with this' excuse, because I have. A WM1Z will not save V3, it only exacerbate its terrible V shape problems, and even if you think 1Z is great with V3, what do you think sounds better? V3 paired with WM1Z or a VX with WM1A? because those two combo cost pretty much the same.

This is not ok, blind buying anything is silly, its not just the V3, if the next person post some dumb excuse of how much they love their VX that they bought blind. I will tell do the same and tell them that VX is literally the most mediocre TOTL iem you can ever buy, and its probably the most annoying iem you can ever own... look, im not ****ting on qdc here, but please don't reinforce other people terrible decision.

I suggest trying IEMs before you buy. I did, in fact I tried a number of qdc IEMs. Actually for some reason I thought the soundstage was better on the V3 than a few of the upper line. Also the V3 was the sound I was actually after? I already had the Noble Encore so much of the mid-centric and mid-detailed upper line was not of interest. But I have to disagree the other qdc IEM up-line are noticeably bigger. The huge part of the affinity of the V3 is the size and fit for me.

Again, your failing to view that there are other listeners in the world who value a V signature. They are actually looking for that style of response.

As these “V shape problems” for you are actually V shaped solutions for others. Not everyone is looking for the same signature. If you have a close friend who has an opposite taste in sound signatures, you can start to perceive how there is very little wrong with someone liking a V signature. Different IEMs appeal to different groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back