Q701 or no?
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Meh

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, the Q701's are on sale right now for $150.. I already have the Fidelio X1s, Sennheiser Momentums, and the Shure SE535s. Should I buy them? I have a feeling they won't be much better than anything I already have but 1) they look cool and 2) it's such a good price.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 11
For $150 why not just buy them? You should be able to resell them if you don't like them.

IMO they're worth around $250.

If you don't have an amp and have no plans to get one in the future i'd just skip them honestly.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 11
  For $150 why not just buy them? You should be able to resell them if you don't like them.

IMO they're worth around $250.

If you don't have an amp and have no plans to get one in the future i'd just skip them honestly.

Using an Xonar Essence STX -> Bravo Ocean right now. I just bought a $300 watch and was planning to get a PS4 in September.. trying to justify this..lol

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 11
unless u listen to classicals..or instrumentals alot, i would skip this can.
i disliked vocals on this can.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 11
They'll be different to the X1 not necessarily better, depending on what type of music you enjoy. 

What genres do you listen to? The Q701 is a brighter and thinner sounding headphone than the X1, but you can always mod it for some improvements. Its fantastic for soundtracks, acoustic, classical and ambient, at least to my ears.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 11
I would say I listen to a little bit of everything, classic rock more than anything, but I do enjoy acoustic, instrumental, classical, etc. Just not sure if they'd be that much better than what I have already?

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Like I said, at that price point its not necessarily better, but a side grade or different sound in that mid fi group. A real upgrade might be going to a crack/Senn 650 for example.

Philips X1
- strong bass/elevated bass
- slightly more laid back mids
- very slight treble bump, rarely noticeable imo
- moderate soundstage size
- overall a slightly darker and more fun/head bopping sound
- much better build quality imo

Q701
- weaker/less extended bass - has a mod to rectify somewhat - will not be as strong as the X1 though
- very detailed and complete mids - somewhat thin sounding to my ears at times, but some prefer them over my type of SS
- large soundstage, but still not the biggest around
- very high detail level, seems more detailed than the X1
- brighter sound and more prominent treble
- a bit more plasticy than the X1 in terms of build

Both were very comfortable when I tried them.

I think the Q701 would be a fantastic complimentary can to the X1 as they both sound different and can provide great quality for different genres.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 11
  Like I said, at that price point its not necessarily better, but a side grade or different sound in that mid fi group. A real upgrade might be going to a crack/Senn 650 for example.

Philips X1
- strong bass/elevated bass
- slightly more laid back mids
- very slight treble bump, rarely noticeable imo
- moderate soundstage size
- overall a slightly darker and more fun/head bopping sound
- much better build quality imo

Q701
- weaker/less extended bass - has a mod to rectify somewhat - will not be as strong as the X1 though
- very detailed and complete mids - somewhat thin sounding to my ears at times, but some prefer them over my type of SS
- large soundstage, but still not the biggest around
- very high detail level, seems more detailed than the X1
- brighter sound and more prominent treble
- a bit more plasticy than the X1 in terms of build

Both were very comfortable when I tried them.

I think the Q701 would be a fantastic complimentary can to the X1 as they both sound different and can provide great quality for different genres.

Alright, how would you rate them versus the Sennheiser Momentums then?

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey guys, the Q701's are on sale right now for $150.. I already have the Fidelio X1s, Sennheiser Momentums, and the Shure SE535s. Should I buy them? I have a feeling they won't be much better than anything I already have but 1) they look cool and 2) it's such a good price.

I already own a pair and at $150 I am tempted to get another. I think a new Q701 at that price is a steal. It will be complementary to what you have and that price worth having even if it is not an all rounder for you or our number 1 can. I am considering several higher end cans that if I purchased would likely become my number one go to can, but I would never get rid of my Q701 if for no other reason than I love it's soundstage, particularly with classical, but frankly for all kinds of music and short of getting the HD 800 I am not sure where else I could get my soundstage fix when I needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back