Q701 impressions thread
Nov 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,636 of 9,602
  If I remember right I think I paid $240 for my Q701 just over 1 year ago, about a year and 2 weeks to be exact. This is the longest I've ever been content with a single headphone, and even at $240 I still consider it a great bargain. It is especially good after doing the bass mod and modding the headband. I don't mind modding things, I like to tinker. I have no plan on ever selling my Q701, unless I do eventually get an HD800.  

agreed with the part before comma!  even if I would do the part after comma soon. 
biggrin.gif

I prefer modded Q701 for flamenco/acoustic guitar and violin.  The HD800, as of now from my setup, gives too much centered/thick mid and as the result of this, upper strings on acoustic nylon string guitar sound a little booming to my ears.  Unless you stick the microphone inside the body of the guitar when recording, this is not the sound/tone balance you would get from an audience's position.  Same thing with violin.  I am 100% sure about this cuz I play both instruments still daily and do record them also.  The modded Q701 sounds more spacious than HD800.  This is not saying the modded Q701 has better sound stage.  So please don't get confused and take my statement out of its context.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,637 of 9,602
  agreed with the part before comma!  even if I would do the part after comma soon. 
biggrin.gif

I prefer modded Q701 for flamenco/acoustic guitar and violin.  The HD800, as of now from my setup, gives too much centered/thick mid and as the result of this, upper strings on acoustic nylon string guitar sound a little booming to my ears.  Unless you stick the microphone inside the body of the guitar when recording, this is not the sound/tone balance you would get from an audience's position.  Same thing with violin.  I am 100% sure about this cuz I play both instruments still daily and do record them also.  The modded Q701 sounds more spacious than HD800.  This is not saying the modded Q701 has better sound stage.  So please don't get confused and take my statement out of its context.

I wish I had a buddy with an HD800 then I could try one on my setup. I'm just worried that I would consider the HD800 to be only be like 10% better for 6-7 times the price. I guess I would just have to demo one at a meet first or buy from a place with a no questions asked return policy. I don't make a ton of money and the next big thing I want to buy is a fancy new laptop, not another new pair of headphones.  

Do you ever listen to any prog rock or progressive metal? I'm wondering which you think is better for this genre(s). 

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4,638 of 9,602

I wish I had a buddy with an HD800 then I could try one on my setup. I'm just worried that I would consider the HD800 to be only be like 10% better for 6-7 times the price. I guess I would just have to demo one at a meet first or buy from a place with a no questions asked return policy. I don't make a ton of money and the next big thing I want to buy is a fancy new laptop, not another new pair of headphones.  

Do you ever listen to any prog rock or progressive metal? I'm wondering which you think is better for this genre(s). 

Yes, I do and the answer to your question will be that the HD800 will have the upper hand because of its thicker mid and a touch less harsh/more controlled high.  However, for me, the more centered / forwardness of the mid in the HD800 in comparison to the modded Q701 is a little much to my ears for the genres mentioned.  But overall, HD800 will come out ahead in this context.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,639 of 9,602
  Yes, I do and the answer to your question will be that the HD800 will have the upper hand because of its thicker mid and a touch less harsh/more controlled high.  However, for me, the more centered / forwardness of the mid in the HD800 in comparison to the modded Q701 is a little much to my ears for the genres mentioned.  But overall, HD800 will come out ahead in this context.

When you say thicker mids, what frequency range exactly is it that you are referring to? I may or may not prefer a thicker mid. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4,640 of 9,602

I'll chime in, if you don't mind, as I have the same cans koiloco lists in his sig (mine = Q701 w/foam mod; HE-500 w/homemade jergmod pads, grill mod, and jerg's latest "felt on driver frame" mod).  And I listen to a lot of prog, as well as indie and "classic" rock.  I'm pretty much a rock guy, though not exclusively (how boring would that be).

Here's a recent experience I inadvertently had between the Q701 and HE-500.  I was modding the HE-500, so I put on the Qs.  Rush's Exit... Stage Left was in the queue, and I hadn't heard the 24/96 version since buying it, so on it went.  Now, this is not the best recorded live album you'll ever hear.  It tends to be heavy on the low end to the point of being a tad boomy, and the mids are not too prominent in the mix, so a lot of the guitar sounds veiled or distant.  On the Q701 it was an ugly experience.  I had to EQ it to reduce the low end and slightly boost certain mids (all quick and dirty).  I don't like to EQ, but it was just a boomy, muddy mess.

After finishing the HE-500 mod and giving my ears a day off, I listened to the same album, same chain, on the HE-500.  Totally different experience!  No EQing needed, and while still pretty bassy (after a while I did reduce 50 Hz - 200 Hz to varying degrees, but no more than 2-2.5 dB), everything was so much more balanced.  Even the guitars seemed better.

Conclusion: this is just one of those poor recordings that the Q701 exposes as such.  Later I listened to Grace Under Pressure (again, 24/96, and first listen to that album in a long time) on the Qs.  Absolutely fine.  The typical forward higher frequencies (sorry, I suck at figuring out what is where in the spectrum) when present in the mix, but overall the Qs displayed their wonderful detail, clarity and soundstage.  And the bass port foam mod allowed the bass to shine (Geddy is just insane 
biggrin.gif
 ).  Don't think I listened to that one on the HE-500 yet (I was still modding it when GuP rolled around).

No doubt the Q701 rules the soundstage arena vs. the HE-500, though the various mods really do help the latter.  But for rockin' overall balance, I go for the HE-500.  Now I need to rip some jazz and classical and get back to the Q701.  That should be an interesting comparison.

Back on topic, I've no experience with the HD-800, and frankly, unless someone lends me one, or sells it for $700, I'm not even tempted.  It's  just way too much money for me.

My chain for all of the above

foobar2000 running WASAPI Event style for U2 Sabre DAC -> Monoprice USB extension cable -> HiFimeDIY USB isolator + U2 Sabre DAC -> AudioQuest Golden Gate mini-to-RCA -> Schiit Lyr running Super Cryo Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Matched Pair (nearing 200 hours of "burn-in"/use).  Awesome tubes for rock, though I don't have much experience with other tubes, as I'm new to the Lyr, and that's for another thread :wink:

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4,641 of 9,602
  When you say thicker mids, what frequency range exactly is it that you are referring to? I may or may not prefer a thicker mid. 

This applies to vocals the most and on some instruments such as guitars and lower strings on violin.  So the freq range will be quite a spread with focus on what i just mentioned being the most noticeable.  That's why for jazz vocal.  It's hard to beat the HD800!  Rich, thick, balanced, super intimate...
Keep in mind though jason, it's not excessively thick or too much but noticeable and will fall where your personal preference would be.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #4,642 of 9,602

This applies to vocals the most and on some instruments such as guitars and lower strings on violin.  So the freq range will be quite a spread with focus on what i just mentioned being the most noticeable.  That's why for jazz vocal.  It's hard to beat the HD800!  Rich, thick, balanced, super intimate...

I see. I really have no problem with the frequency response of the modded Q701. The upper mids may be more forward than the lower mids, but I still have no problem here and I still think vocals are great on it. I would probably really like the HD800, but it's just so hard for me justify for being 6-7 times the price. I really like my modded Q701 as they are and for $1400 I can buy a lot of music, or the gaming laptop I want instead and just keep enjoying my Q701. I think I will just keep enjoying my Q701.... 

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,643 of 9,602
I hope i'm not going to sound like a pretentious idiot...
tongue.gif

... but for those of you who just bought a new Q701, don't forget that the bass-port-mod won't spare you the LONG break-in period... (i recommend at least 400 hours,but that's just me..).
it's a pain in the @ss but never judge your new Q (modded or not) before having gone through this hassle...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #4,644 of 9,602
tongue.gif

... but for those of you who just bought a new Q701, don't forget that the bass-port-mod won't spare you the LONG break-in period... (i recommend at least 400 hours,but that's just me..).
it's a pain in the @ss but never judge your new Q (modded or not) before having gone through this hassle...
very_evil_smiley.gif

This. After about 100 hours of usage (at that point of time, I don't believe in 'burn-in'), the once harsh highs became smoother.
Then I started burn-in, after 200 hours mark, the mids become thicker. 300 hours passed, mids becomes a bit more thicker, and much, much warmer...

I don't think I've reached 400 hours just yet

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,645 of 9,602
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Pay heed to a word to the wise from your Yoda-eared, canine fount of knowledge.

tongue.gif
hehe I couldn't resist!

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,647 of 9,602
Believe it or not, but just after the mod, i found the low bass i tad too loose.
I did the foam tweak but even since then, the bass is getting better, tighter, and better, and... better.
Since the diaphragm has more air and is now moving with a different amplitude... I guess it's the second phase of the break-in...
Haha... Who knows...

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,648 of 9,602
Believe it or not, but just after the mod, i found the low bass i tad too loose.
I did the foam tweak but even since then, the bass is getting better, tighter, and better, and... better.
Since the diaphragm has more air and is now moving with a different amplitude... I guess it's the second phase of the break-in...
Haha... Who knows...

Just curious, are you saying that the fully open port was too bassy, too loose... but now with foam over (or inside) the port, the sound has improved, and continues to improve?  Or did you reverse the mod fully (with tape or whatever), and the sound is now slowly improving?

How many hours do you have on your Qs?  400+?

Regardless, improvement is good!

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,649 of 9,602
I don't find my modded Q701 to be loose or muddy at all. Maybe it's because my amp has so much power that it controls the drivers really well, I don't know. Maybe some people just associate powerful deep bass with sounding loose and slow. Higher bass frequencies just sound faster than lower frequencies. In a 30hz tone the cone is moving 30 cycles per second, in a 100 hz tone the cone is moving 100 cycles per second. The Q701 after the mod has a more linear bass, meanwhile before the mod the mid bass was louder than the sub bass. To my ears before the mod, the drivers were overdamped, now they have room to breathe like I feel they should. It sound like the same difference I get in my car when I crack open the sunroof or a window. Opening a window or the sunroof relieves some pressure in my car allowing my subwoofer to move more freely creating more low bass.    

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #4,650 of 9,602
Haha... Who knows...

The bolded without the "too" word and a touch less forwardness in the mid have been what I've experienced so far with this mod.  The modded bass to my ear has better decay and sounds better and less dry.  Both, to me and my preferences, are out-weighted by the benefits overall.  YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back