Q701 impressions thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,606 of 9,602
Decided to upload my own pics of the mod for ease of understanding.

This is the left earcup. The whole jack comes off with the plastic ring. Take care when taking this one off so you don't accidentally yank off any cables.

Right side. Very simple. The ring comes off & isn't attached to anything else. 

Right ring piece

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,607 of 9,602
So, I just saw a girl wearing a pair of AKGs on-the-go in the mall, while ordering a pretzel. Surprising me, they looked pretty cute on her. I didn't get to talk to her, and I don't actually know what kind they were... Maybe K600?

They were semi open, black, with a silver center circular grille and a silver ring around the outside.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4,608 of 9,602
So, I just saw a girl wearing a pair of AKGs on-the-go in the mall, while ordering a pretzel. Surprising me, they looked pretty cute on her. I didn't get to talk to her, and I don't actually know what kind they were... Maybe K600?

They were semi open, black, with a silver center circular grille and a silver ring around the outside.

Are you sure they looked pretty cute, or she looked pretty cute... 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #4,609 of 9,602
Nov 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,610 of 9,602
I bought my Q701 roughly a month ago and I'm using them with a FiiO E10 Olympus, which I find perfectly adequate to power them, even in low gain. I'm very satisfied with the sound and already sold my Grado's SR60i, as I couldn't go back to them.
But now I keep imagining how would the HD650 sound. I think I prefer the sound signature of the AKG's but still... There's just this strong curiosity!

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,611 of 9,602
Are you sure they looked pretty cute, or she looked pretty cute... :wink:

Uuuh, er, ah, well... Still it was surprising. And then, the pretzel I ended up buying was super fresh, so an all-around treat.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,612 of 9,602
  I bought my Q701 roughly a month ago and I'm using them with a FiiO E10 Olympus, which I find perfectly adequate to power them, even in low gain. I'm very satisfied with the sound and already sold my Grado's SR60i, as I couldn't go back to them.
But now I keep imagining how would the HD650 sound. I think I prefer the sound signature of the AKG's but still... There's just this strong curiosity!

The bass mod brings them closer to the HD650 sound. Tdock will agree with this.

What is strange is that the bass mod will also make them sound more like the HD800 as well, at least from what I've read. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,613 of 9,602
  I'm not really a fan for the lime green 3 meters long cable.

What do you think about this cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKG-K141-K171-K181-K240-K271-K702-Q701-HDJ-2000-Replacement-Headphone-cable-/161111492882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2582fe4912

I don't expect any sound quality improvement (never noticed any difference on my main hi-fi system), but I wanted a black, short cable. If it doesn't make the headphones sound any worse, I might buy one of these.

you could always braid it

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #4,616 of 9,602
Hi everyone,

I just want to respond to my problem earlier of creaking. This problem was driving me nuts to a point where I was going to sell the headphone 
mad.gif

However, I found a solution that worked for me.
I hope this information is useful to someone.

Solutions:
1) (Didn't work for me, but works for others) Someone mentioned that if you are wearing glasses, then these will start to creak because your face isn't making proper contact with the headphone. Solution is to just take the glasses off when you use these headphones! However, I do not wear glasses so that did not help me.
2) (What worked for me was) positioning. When I position the headphone about 90degrees to my head, the headphone wasn't making proper contact with my head shape. I had to bring the headphone a little forward, so making about 80degreess angle to my head and this positioned the headphone perfectly to make the proper contact to my head. So my solution is to just position the headphone around until the headphone forms to the shape of your head!

Now I have no more creaking issues! And again I go back to enjoying the headphone the way it was meant to be.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,617 of 9,602
  Solutions:
1) (Didn't work for me, but works for others) Someone mentioned that if you are wearing glasses, then these will start to creak because your face isn't making proper contact with the headphone. Solution is to just take the glasses off when you use these headphones! However, I do not wear glasses so that did not help me.

Honestly, the creaking doesn't bother me that much, but you were absolutely right: Once I remove my glasses, just no more cracking. I suppose I didn't notice it before because I didn't pay that much attention to it.

I must admit that the soundstage of the Q-m's (term coined by koiloco I think) is that big, that sometimes I even thought the creaking was in my recordings!!! Heck, I even turned around in the chorals of some songs because I thought my girlfriend was talking to me!!! Anyways, these are the first headphones I can really say that satisfy me enough to live without being constantly thinking in upgrading.

Enjoy the force on your Q's!!

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4,618 of 9,602
I just thought i post this as I just answered someone's question regarding the Q701 versus the K550. I just thought I share my response here for future reference.

I did make a youtube video on this, please take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4HmSmxPF_g

However for more in-depth answer to the versus question, here was my answer:

For what sounds better?
I think it really depends on what you consider "better" on sound quality because they are very different headphones.

If you like your sound quality to be more relaxing, laid back, while providing a excellent presentation of depth and sub-bass, the K550 will fit your bill.
However, if you like your sound quality to be more analytical and detailed with a wider soundstage, the Q701 will be the one I go for.
If you like a combination of those two, i suggest looking at the HD800.

Which would I personally choose?
Personally, on one day I would prefer the K550 and on another I prefer the Q701. It really depends on my mood lol.
So it depends on my mood which headphone I will choose to listen to. That's why I have both!

Do take note though the K550 have fitting issues with some people's heads, while the Q701's fit is universal.

Please do take a look at the video for a more in-depth comparison. But feel free to drop me more questions.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4,619 of 9,602
Thanks for posting that here, and I was the one who asked for the comparison. I'll most likely end up finding a retailer and going to test the two models for myself. Interestingly, the closest place to be is Headroom, so I'll be sure to get their opinion, your video was awesome, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back