Q701 impressions thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #4,576 of 9,602
  I read the whole thread. I have not found anywhere these photos. I have decided that I will do mine :)

without your pics, i was totally confused, thought it was the outer black cloth, haha

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,581 of 9,602
[q

uote name="manbear" url="/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/4575#post_9962787"]
I like gain 10 the most, more of a warm tubey sound. The sound gets cleaner as you lower gain IMO. All the settings work fine in terms of volume.[/quote]

Ah-ha!

Less gain will mean more feedback and less distortion!

More gain will mean less feedback and more distortion!

Busted!:xf_eek:

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4,582 of 9,602
  Pics "step by step" bass port mod Q701.

Thanks for the little guide! I was kinda confused as well, wasn't sure if I should just yank off the outer baffle or start from the driver side of the headphone haha

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,583 of 9,602
Your first post ever on Head-Fi and it's such a significant post lol. Thanks for taking the time to make that step-by-step pic mate, might try it should I get bored of mine one day. It should go into the first page, can anyone make that happen?

I've linked this on the first post of this thread.
For those that are not capable of doing this sort of brain surgery you can also remove the inner plastic piece. It's clipped in placed by two tabs. One on each side.
Since I had no tweezers at the time I had to detach the headband and remove this plastic part.

If you do all this the hard way take extreme care when the Mini-XLR wires are just hanging there.

Once you press the plastic part back down in place makes sure there are no wires under the tabs.

Most important thing when removing the plastic piece is to NOT pull too hard.

The mod is reversible with plastic tape if you lose them. It appears that no air gets through the original round circles.

Only negative is there  is a chance more dust could get into the driver..probably not much to worry about.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,584 of 9,602
  For those that are not capable of doing this sort of brain surgery you can also remove the inner plastic piece. It's clipped in placed by two tabs. One on each side.

Don't forget the two small screws holding the plastic pieces in place.  Wouldn't do to just start squeezin' and pullin'  
wink.gif

Removing the plastic pieces does make access easier, esp. if you want to slide some foam over, or push foam into, the bass port.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4,585 of 9,602
I can't for the life of me get the plastic piece off. I took the screws off but the left plastic hinge just wouldn't binge on both earcups! The right plastic hinge was easy to get off though..

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,586 of 9,602
How's it going all!

After much deliberation and "blood, sweat, & tears" spent working, I have finally ordered my Q701s from Amazon. I first went to Fry's in Manhattan Beach, but left empty-handed. For those that don't know the Fry's in Manhattan Beach, CA, you're pretty much on your own, as chances are you know the store better than the employees. I then went to Sam Ash, because they have a headphone area and it seems like they have every other "lower" mid-fi tier headphone, BUT the Q701 which they need to special order.

I am coming to these headphones from the older beige-purple Audio-Technica AD700. Comparing the frequency charts of the two headphones, it seems like it takes all the frequencies and boosts them as well as extends the bass a lot. Bass being the biggest downfall of the AD700, I am pretty excited to see how well the Q701 will do. I will be doing the bass port mod, whether immediately or waiting a month is till up in the air though. I also plan to go to my friend's house and "steal" the pads off his K702 65th LE to see how the bass port mod and Annie pads sound like.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4,587 of 9,602
I have a Headroom Micro Amp. I'm not worried about beating desktop performance. I just want something that will give me decent performance when I'm washing the dishes.

If you like the Micro Amp trust me and just get the Total Airhead if you can find it around still. It's a bit awkward to keep in the pocket but it has tons of power and drives the Q701 better than the Fiio E17 and E11.

The Airhead is fairly close in sound to the Micro Amp. Basically neutral but not as warm as the E17.

Also it uses 4 AAA batteries and doesn't require USB to recharge.

Good mention tdock. I just can't find a Total Airhead. I'll have to keep an eye out here and on eBay.

I picked up an E11 from J&R in Manhattan today. Just got it charged. I'll be going through the music on my HTC One for the rest of the night I'm thinking. This little amp is really making the Q's sing! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #4,588 of 9,602
Just tried out the bass port mod

The bass does became livelier as many have suggested, but frankly I can't really call it as 'warmer'. So far it seems like the mod does not interfere with the mids/highs, and I'm grateful for that. But honestly I don't see modding the Q701 would make getting a pair of HE-400 or HD650 redundant. I still think I need a warm pair of cans to complement the Q701. 

Well anyway, I have just modded it like 15 minutes ago, so far what I can tell is with the bass become livelier, it makes the whole package fuller and thicker sounding.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,589 of 9,602

The bass does became livelier as many have suggested, but frankly I can't really call it as 'warmer'. So far it seems like the mod does not interfere with the mids/highs, and I'm grateful for that. But honestly I don't see modding the Q701 would make getting a pair of HE-400 or HD650 redundant. I still think I need a warm pair of cans to complement the Q701. 

Well anyway, I have just modded it like 15 minutes ago, so far what I can tell is with the bass become livelier, it makes the whole package fuller and thicker sounding.

come back with an update after some more time with the mod.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4,590 of 9,602

Which side of the bass becomes livelier? The sub bass or mid bass? If it was the sub bass, I'd gladly mod these cans. However I'm paranoid if this would affect the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back