Q701 impressions thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4,561 of 9,602
Does anybody have experience with using a portable amp with the Q's? I've been looking at the Fiio E11/E12. The E12 sounds like its a power house from reviews. I'm only asking because even though the Q's won't be leaving the house I've been using portable devices more and more for music listening and web browsing.

My JDS Labs C5 drives them just fine.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,562 of 9,602
Does anybody have experience with using a portable amp with the Q's? I've been looking at the Fiio E11/E12. The E12 sounds like its a power house from reviews. I'm only asking because even though the Q's won't be leaving the house I've been using portable devices more and more for music listening and web browsing.

I run my Q701 on E17 on high gain.  It's more than fine for portable.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4,563 of 9,602
Qs are generally not too hard to drive. I tested them with my RSA Predator, and it is ok. Althoug, I don't use them that way, cos I like them better off a tube amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #4,564 of 9,602

I've driven my Qs with E17 and E12.
I prefer the E12, but the E17 works very well too.

My favourite portable set up (for my deck) is Q701 + iBasso D12 DAC + FiiO E12 amp.
Source is either a CD transport or an iPod/iPhone dock.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #4,565 of 9,602
Qs are generally not too hard to drive. I tested them with my RSA Predator, and it is ok. Althoug, I don't use them that way, cos I like them better off a tube amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lately I've been using my Q701 with my La Figaro 336C tube amp.
Still dailing in the right tubes, though!!

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,566 of 9,602

You need more current than what most if not all portables can offer. 

That being said the E12 is ridiculous and will do just fine but it's a small exception to the rule :)

Can't really beat it with a desktop amp either really. A Modi will put out AROUND 900mw for the money and even though I'd prefer something with a discrete PSU these are the options you have. Both will serve you fine. Oddly enough the E12 claims less THD %..

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #4,568 of 9,602
I have a Headroom Micro Amp. I'm not worried about beating desktop performance. I just want something that will give me decent performance when I'm washing the dishes.

If you like the Micro Amp trust me and just get the Total Airhead if you can find it around still. It's a bit awkward to keep in the pocket but it has tons of power and drives the Q701 better than the Fiio E17 and E11.

The Airhead is fairly close in sound to the Micro Amp. Basically neutral but not as warm as the E17.

Also it uses 4 AAA batteries and doesn't require USB to recharge.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4,569 of 9,602
Just got my headphone and my first impression is that the pads are very stiff! Not uncomfortably so, but yea they're stiff.
Can someone who's had them for a while comment on whether the pads will soften with time?

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,570 of 9,602
  Just got my headphone and my first impression is that the pads are very stiff! Not uncomfortably so, but yea they're stiff.
Can someone who's had them for a while comment on whether the pads will soften with time?

Mine is a year old and the pads are still stiff. It's just the way they are. You'll probably get used to it. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,571 of 9,602
My home rig which is my Q701 and the amp and dac listed in my sig, makes it so hard to listen to anything else. I recently aquired a Hifi Man RE-zero in ear monitor which people usually speak pretty highly of. I got them used for 50 bucks and figured I'd leave them in my desk drawer at work and listen to on my lunch break plugged into my Galaxy S4. I put them in today and instantly pretty much just thought "ewwwww". The SQ is just nowhere near my Q701 along with my home rig. My Q701 since it's modded has better bass, but it's not just the bass I found lacking. It's the overall sound, everything from bass impact to top end resolution to soundstage is all just severely lacking. I instantly just missed the sound of my Q's. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4,572 of 9,602

I also found the pads to be very still as well, so after about a week of usage I started exercising them day after day. Press the pads with my fingers, apply some pressure on them. Within a month, the pads became much softer and I can't believe how comfortable they really are now...

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,574 of 9,602
Your first post ever on Head-Fi and it's such a significant post lol. Thanks for taking the time to make that step-by-step pic mate, might try it should I get bored of mine one day. It should go into the first page, can anyone make that happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back