Q701 impressions thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,546 of 9,602

Hmmm......I didn't know that the HD800 had tubes in it!  
tongue.gif

Yes I am!
OTOH, the Stax is much cheaper than the HD800.

Mind you, Stax can get rilly, rilly expensive.....................................
eek.gif

009 and a blue hawaii will be on my 50th birthday wish list.  :)  That will give my wife enough time to save up.
wink.gif

No sound signature sticks to my head that well and that long.  To me, it was indeed perfection at a very costly price.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,547 of 9,602

I haven't heard this once. Maybe people are getting confused due to the better soundstage depth in the modded Q701. This can fool people due to making some things sound more distant, when actually it's just supposed to be that way IN the recording. You can switch to another headphone with good soundstage depth and it sounds the same. The modded Q701 is very accurate to the recording.

If I heard more recessed mids than I would have reversed the mod immediately. I bet others would have too.

I do have to disagree with you on this.  I don't think the soundstage improved after the mod.  I am not saying it got worse either.  What I am saying, based on my experience/ear and many tracks that I have mixed therefore I know exactly how they're supposed to sound, is that after modded, the forwardness of the Q701 has clearly decreased.  It's not a recession of any frequencies.  Think about it as re-balance of output of the FR not responses.  Compared to the HD800, this is very obvious! 
When I still had my taboo MKIII, I did compare the unmodded Q701 to HD800.  That's why I know for a fact that after modded, the end result was what I described in my post.  I don't think this falls under "sound stage" category though? 

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4,549 of 9,602

koiloco,
Have you compared the Q701-M to other open HPs?
T1? HE-500? Or Ultrasone Pro 2900 by chance?  
cool.gif

The 2900 is supposed to reconcile the unmatched Ultrasone bass with amazing clarity, separation and imaging.
A few of the rare people who owns it have compared it to the AKGs 70x (but the not-modded versions of course).

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,550 of 9,602
  koiloco,
Have you compared the Q701-M to other open HPs?
T1? HE-500? Or Ultrasone Pro 2900 by chance?  
cool.gif

The 2900 is supposed to reconcile the unmatched Ultrasone bass with amazing clarity, separation and imaging.
A few of the rare people who owns it have compared it to the AKGs 70x (but the not-modded versions of course).

Yes, I've compared the Q701-M to my HE500 driven by my WA22 extensively.  I prefer the Q701-M in this comparison.
On my Emotiva, the HE500 wins.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #4,551 of 9,602

Yes, I've compared the Q701-M to my HE500 driven by my WA22 extensively.  I prefer the Q701-M in this comparison.
On my Emotiva, the HE500 wins.

Now that's a big news, I was under the impression that the Q701 is comparable against HE-400, and the HE-500 is in a different league.. guess I was wrong.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4,552 of 9,602
Anyone's clear plastic guide for the headband just snap on them? It's a shame everything about these headphones are so solid, and they choose to use these flimsy plastic pieces that crack so easily. I'm not even rough with these headphones, they pretty much sit on my desk all day. Anyone know where to get replacement parts?

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #4,554 of 9,602

Now that's a big news, I was under the impression that the Q701 is comparable against HE-400, and the HE-500 is in a different league.. guess I was wrong.

Remember that when I said the Q701 is my preferred headphones on the WA22, it doesn't mean Q701 is better or as good as the HE500.  It's purely my personal taste and preference.  On top of that, to my ears, Woo WA22 is indeed better at driving dynamic HPs such as 701's and HD800... HE500 is indeed in a different league when given enough power to shine.  But honestly both are extremely great HPs and scale up well. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #4,556 of 9,602
  Anyone's clear plastic guide for the headband just snap on them? It's a shame everything about these headphones are so solid, and they choose to use these flimsy plastic pieces that crack so easily. I'm not even rough with these headphones, they pretty much sit on my desk all day. Anyone know where to get replacement parts?

If they're still under warranty, I'm sure AKG will repair it. 

If not, spare parts can be acquired from:
Spare parts
Frank Rodriguez frodrigu@harman.com 
Phone:  +1 818 920-3279

I'm not sure what the part number for that is, so you may need to contact AKG about it.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #4,557 of 9,602
  If I don't have the HD800 to directly compare to the Q701, I wouldn't know what I am missing.

I couldn't agree more.  I listened to a broken-in HD800 at a Head-Fi meet and thought it sounded somewhat better than my Q701.  I then realized I hit the price/performance jackpot with the Q and might as well just stop here unless I hear a lot of noise about another value leader in the $200-500 range.

I'm not sure why some reviewers call the Q701 grainy or zingy, either, but then I rather enjoy a sparkly top-end.  I even liked the Grados I had, but they were absolute torture devices comfort-wise.  I am lucky to have thick enough hair that not even the headband bumps of the Q bother me; most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!

*Oh, and yeah my clear plastic guide pieces have cracked as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4,558 of 9,602

I couldn't agree more.  I listened to a broken-in HD800 at a Head-Fi meet and thought it sounded somewhat better than my Q701.  I then realized I hit the price/performance jackpot with the Q and might as well just stop here unless I hear a lot of noise about another value leader in the $200-500 range.

I'm not sure why some reviewers call the Q701 grainy or zingy, either, but then I rather enjoy a sparkly top-end.  I even liked the Grados I had, but they were absolute torture devices comfort-wise.  I am lucky to have thick enough hair that not even the headband bumps of the Q bother me; most comfortable headphones I've ever worn!

*Oh, and yeah my clear plastic guide pieces have cracked as well.

I agree.

Even on the K550 thread, some people were complaining about the "flaw" of the K550 and Q701 of the pronounce top-end. 
People just don't understand, there are people like us that appreciates that sparkly top-end and it isn't a flaw AT ALL.

Furthermore, I agree with the bumps of the Q or Ks. I NEVER had a problem with the bumps with either Q or K. I had both.
People need to understand, its not a problem for everyone!

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4,559 of 9,602
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,560 of 9,602
Does anybody have experience with using a portable amp with the Q's? I've been looking at the Fiio E11/E12. The E12 sounds like its a power house from reviews. I'm only asking because even though the Q's won't be leaving the house I've been using portable devices more and more for music listening and web browsing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back