Q701 impressions thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2,656 of 9,602
Just day before yesterday I got my Q701! In lime green btw. I have to say they are awesome. Straight out of the box plugged to my laptop and they sounded great and played sufficiently loud. I really didn't seem to notice any difference plugged into my Yamaha receiver. Hope the amp brings something to this so I haven't bought it for nothing. :D I think they do pretty well with lower quality tracks too, might not be the case with the new amp though. Now I have maybe 10 hours on them.

Only thing I have to say is that I think they haven't opened up yet. The sound is maybe ever so slightly restrained, which might be too much to say. Anyway I wouldn't describe it in any way mellow or soft or lush. Maybe more like tight. I guess they become livelier as I play them. Any experience about this?

I really like them and they are a significant improvement over the K501. I feel the bass is just nice already. Its very present and indeed well extended but not in any way overpowering. And boy are these articulate. I hear every nuance of every note and cymbal hit (don't know of any better :D ). The work great with every kind of music, just very pleased with them. I think they are more revealing and articulate than the K501. Not by much, but noticeably. There might be some very slight tiring treble at rare occasions. Nowhere near the amount of my Nocs NS 400 at the same sound. Its this one sound in one game so I'm starting to think its the game and not really the headphones.

I also had a nice experience in a song I can't recall but the drums felt like I knew where they were in front of me. I could position the sticks running through the drums. Was quite nice. Haven't had any spectacular overly left right sound stage experience yet, this might change with the amp.

They are very comfortable but I, too can start to feel the pressure of the bumps on my head. And I do have pretty thick hair. I think that if you have a flat top of the head they are fine, but if its a bit pointy at the top the pressure isn't distributed wide enough but on the "tip" of your head, hence the pressure. I also have found it helps somewhat if you lift the band (from the sides with your forefingers) as you put them on, resulting in a lighter touch. Also, it helps doing the opposite. Pull the band from the sides so it gets more ground to rest on. If I could get a little cushion in between the two middle bumps, I would be set.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2,657 of 9,602
What amp do you have on the way to you?

They do open up and definitely sound better with at least a decent amp. I've played mine out of just my iPhone 4 and they do sound good, but they sound a great deal better out of my Fiio E17. I've never plugged them straight into my laptop though. You should start to notice that bad recordings are less tolerable though on a better amp. As long as you don't listen to loudly they should not be tiring though. I very rarely exceed 85db with mine and I can listen to them for hours at volumes under 85db. Also, a very slight (like 2-3db) bass boost makes them sound niiiiice if you think they are just a touch bass light. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,658 of 9,602
Can anyone compare the bass to anything? Like an analogy or compare it to maybe an M50 or HD25-ii. Just wondering how bass light is light :) I'm planning on getting these for mainly games (honestly mainly skype, though I do want to get into FPS games again) but I'd also want to use it for mixing/mastering along with listening to vocal trance (mostly female vocals) and new age / piano music / instrumentals. Always wanted an AKG headphone too because I love how they look, especially the Q701 white/black and the K702 LE. And they seem like I'd be able to wear for hours, which I haven't been able to do with any headphone I've owned thus far asides from my CIEMs.

And how is the treble? I'm sensitive to treble (headaches).

Asking because I have searched around but I can't make any sense of how these sound as all the ones I've been using have been described either the opposite (e.g. bass is obviously present) or are mostly neutral (e.g. ES3X, which I love if anyone can compare it to that). The only open headphone I've used is the FA-011 and that is like the polar opposite to the Q701 from what I can make sense of.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,659 of 9,602
Quote:
What amp do you have on the way to you?

They do open up and definitely sound better with at least a decent amp. I've played mine out of just my iPhone 4 and they do sound good, but they sound a great deal better out of my Fiio E17. I've never plugged them straight into my laptop though. You should start to notice that bad recordings are less tolerable though on a better amp. As long as you don't listen to loudly they should not be tiring though. I very rarely exceed 85db with mine and I can listen to them for hours at volumes under 85db. Also, a very slight (like 2-3db) bass boost makes them sound niiiiice if you think they are just a touch bass light. 

Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D dac + amp. Nice to know. :D So excited. They are so good now, I can't even dream how good they will be. My laptop is known for being good with the audio stuff, its a gaming laptop. How do you know how loud you are listening them to? I will get to know my phones first and burn them in (I have first hand experience that burn in does exist by comparing same headphones with burn in and no burn in :wink: ) before EQ'ing them. I will try it out though, have played with the eq some already. Just don't know what kinda graph to draw... If you don't mind asking what you use for eq? I have aimp and foobar which I haven't used yet. I can get a great eq for foobar I hear.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,660 of 9,602
Quote:
And how is the treble? I'm sensitive to treble (headaches).

I think you'll have to EQ it out if you are, like me, sensitive to treble; personally I find the uncut treble "detail" unbalances the music in many cases. You'll see there are quite a few references to EQ in this thread but not in HD650 thread for example (that's all amps and cables :) ). They are reasonably comfortable but I find I can't listen for long periods with Q701as I find them fatiguing.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,662 of 9,602
Has anyone ever had to order replacement earmuffs? Like, all the way to where they screw in?
I ordered some a few days ago.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2,663 of 9,602
Where? So it's the entire muff w/ the screw connector piece? Here's what my pair looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/20130309_233021.jpg

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,664 of 9,602
Quote:
Where? So it's the entire muff w/ the screw connector piece? Here's what my pair looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/20130309_233021.jpg

Not sure what you mean but the pads come with the plastic ring thats attached to the pad. The pads are attached to a plastic locking ring.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,665 of 9,602
Quote:
Not sure what you mean but the pads come with the plastic ring thats attached to the pad. The pads are attached to a plastic locking ring.

Perfect! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Did you just call AKG? How much did they cost including shipping?

THANKS!

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,666 of 9,602
Quote:

Perfect! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Did you just call AKG? How much did they cost including shipping?

THANKS!

Contact Frank Rodriguez, and tell him you'd like to order a pair of AKG K702/Q701 pads, part number 2458M12020.

Cost should be between $10-15 per pad.

Frank Rodriguez
Customer Service Administrator
AKG /Soundcraft /Studer /Crown Microphone

Harman/Microphone/Mixer Division
8500 Balboa Blvd
Dock 15
Northridge, CA 91329
E-mail: frank.rodriguez@harman.com
Phone: 818-920-3279
fax: 818-920-3218

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,668 of 9,602
Anyone using his Q701 without the foam under the pads? 

I think without the foam it sounds a little bit too harsh/bright. Less bass, more treble. But I might get used to it, When I got this headphone, i thought it sounded thin, whereas now i think it has too much bass sometimes.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,669 of 9,602
Quote:
The new Schiit Amp/DAC is looking enticing! Anyone pick them up and use with these cans yet?

FWIW, Ive really been enjoying the Q701's/Schiit combo! I noticed with more usage that the treble harshness has mellowed quite a bit without loss of the low end ranges.

Thanks to all who answered my n00b questions before pulling the trigger on this setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back