Quote:
  Sorry Tdock, I couldn't resist.
tongue_smile.gif

On second thought:
1     At least they are not Beats
2.    Oh baby, come to papa!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #258 of 9,602
Your not alone, these are great for metal and heavy metal stuff as well imo. Movies are pretty sweet too!

-M 

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #259 of 9,602
Jan 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #260 of 9,602

Quote:
HD-598 and the Q701 are my two favorite open headphones right now. HD-598 I find a little warmer (but not by much) and it's mids are a little thicker I guess you could say. There is a big enough difference between the two to keep both. My HD-598 is a keeper because it does female vocals so well. I stopped trying to compare them since both are just so good. 598 is better for very bad recordings. Luckily I weeded those out though.

Q701 is just a bit more clear, detailed and more accurate I think. This of course means it's not quite as forgiving, but that's OK. The HD-598 often takes the rough edges off some harsh recordings too, but not too badly.

With SOME music the 598 is a little more engaging, but I use both about equally. Q701 I also use as my gaming headphone. I'm about 60 hours into Skyrim with the Q701.

It's weird thinking that my Q701 is ALMOST as warm as my HD-598 (only when recabled) with my setup. What the heck?! Even with a smaller amp like my Total Airhead, it's not much different.

I gave the E9 another try with the Q701 the other day. Sounds very good when I switched to a more neutral source. I had set up this bedroom setup and my stupid Ipod Touch must be broke or something because even from a LOD it has this weird slightly V-shape signature?! I did have to solder my dock to fix it and maybe I screwed it up.

Right now I've been listening to my Q701 for the last few hours. Trying to figure out if I like the stock or Belden cable better. I was listening to Utada Hikaru's unplugged live album and I'm surprised how good it is on the Q701. It seems like the soundstage is slightly more accurate with this cheapy Belden cable. Weird. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who think wire can improve the soundstage of a headphone....

I agree with you on the 598/Q701 comparison, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be keeping both even though the differences are not so major. To me the 598 does have a deeper bass but the Q701 has a more articulated bass which I really enjoy with a lot of what I listen to (jazz, blues, vocals and just about anything with real instruments - not a fan of electronic stuff). I love the soundstage with both of these, there is a small difference but both are really good. One other thing - I definitely prefer amping the 598's with my iBasso D6 which really brings out the best in them IMHO and the Q701 does just a bit better with the E9, although the D6 drives them just fine. I think maybe the dual DACS in the iBasso make the Senns just a bit more detailed yet the AKG's don't need this - weird. Anyway I have to say you can't go wrong with either of these phones unless you are a true basshead.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #262 of 9,602

Quote:
just for everyones information.

I do own both Q701 and K701. They sound different.

I do own both Q701 and DT990. They sound different as well.

It would be great if you could elaborate your impressions on how they differ...
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #263 of 9,602
Well, from what I am hearing, the soundstage and imaging is a bit different. I think the soundstage and imaging is a bit better (to my taste) with the K.

I can hear the most different change from Q to K is the vocal on K is much "forward".

The quality and quantity is some what similar but the Q has somehow more emphasis there.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #264 of 9,602
Listening to Allman Brothers - Revival and all the sudden I hear the choir walking around my head while they were singing.  

Older recording do so much more with soundstage.  It's sad really that no modern artists do anything interesting like that.  Instead it seems like they just record in mono and turn the volume up to 11. 

Q701's are simply amazing for $250.  Money well spent.  

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #265 of 9,602
Good news guys!  I sold my PC360s, and now I'm going to get some K70x myself and compare them to the Q701s.  I love the Q701s so much I want to try the next best thing
tongue_smile.gif

I'm thinking the K702s instead of the K701s; what do you think?  I think the K702 may have the thicker pads...

Oh, and I've got a DT990/600 vs. Q701 review coming up soon....

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #266 of 9,602

Quote:
just for everyones information.

I do own both Q701 and K701. They sound different.

I do own both Q701 and DT990. They sound different as well.

how much different are q701 from k701?

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #267 of 9,602

Like I said before the soundstage and imaging are a bit different between the two and they are probably the most obvious differences between the Q and K.

Although there are differences, It is really hard to describe them. The differences between them are much smaller compare to the differences between DT880 and DT990. Still, if you give me both headphones, I think I would able to tell which one is which from a blind test.

If I had more time, I would write up reviews, but I am busy lately trying to set up my B&W Speakers. Maybe when I have time. I have actually got DT990 600ohm K701, Q701, HD650 at the moment. Maybe i can do a comparsion later. 

Quote:

how much different are q701 from k701?

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #268 of 9,602

Quote:
Listening to Allman Brothers - Revival and all the sudden I hear the choir walking around my head while they were singing.  

Older recording do so much more with soundstage.  It's sad really that no modern artists do anything interesting like that.  Instead it seems like they just record in mono and turn the volume up to 11. 

Q701's are simply amazing for $250.  Money well spent.  

Very true about too many modern recordings.
Makes you wonder how many recordings from 2009 or 2010 or 2011 or 2012, etc. will be considered classics in 15 years?

maybe they will be remastered in 10 years and promoted as "New! Improved! Now with Dynamics!"
wink_face.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #269 of 9,602

Quote:

maybe they will be remastered in 10 years and promoted as "New! Improved! Now with Dynamics!"
wink_face.gif

Now that made me lol. There is something wonderfully farcical about the idea of a sales rep explaining dynamic range and how this long-lost art has finally been recaptured in their recordings after years of research...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back