Q701 impressions thread
Jan 18, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #241 of 9,602
Here's some graphs for those that are interested:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

Sure doesn't look "virtually identical" to me. I think that's the wrong wording. To me it's "somewhat similar".
To me, it's about a 10% improvement of the K702 to my ears. Fixed 3 issues I've had. Biggest was it's goofy/inaccurate soundstage.

People who dislike every single thing about the K702 still won't like the q701.
I don't know for sure since the K702's treble bothers me and it doesn't on the Q701. Maybe some weird frequency that I'm sensitive to.
How could the button NOT effect the soundstage and sound just a tiny bit?

One thing I'd like to see for sure, is if the K702 and Q701 stock cable are identical.
Maybe someone can figure out what those two Cardan pieces are on the Q701. I have no idea..

I don't think any of this is a big deal, but I'm always curious as to why this does sound so different.

Just for reference, here's the Headroom graph:

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #242 of 9,602

Quote:
Which begs the question, "How does that change the sound?" (not having the slightest idea what a cardan piece is)

A Cardan is a type of mechanical coupling.  I really don't know what it does. Try doing what I did, looking it up on Google.
wink_face.gif

But since you cannot see it, it is NOT a cosmetic change.
Just about any mechanical change you make to the acoustic chamber will change the sound of the headphone.
Edit:
Who knows, maybe the Cardan piece tames the acoustic peak at 3-4 kHz.  Your hearing would be very sensitive to any change at 3-4 kHz.
The little boost in bass would account for the additional warmth in the Q701.

Obviously this is NOT a radical change in sound, as anyone who has listened to both can hear they are related in sound but different sounding.
As an example, the Beyer DT770/880 and 990 all use the same driver but the enclosures are quite different and the headphones do sound different.

Quote:
No, but the fact that they have the same frequency response means they are voiced identically.

You are the guy who provided the link to the two Service Manuals and now you are arguing with your own evidence.
You see what you want to see and ignore the other evidence.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #243 of 9,602

Quote:
A Cardan is a type of mechanical coupling.  I really don't know what it does. Try doing what I did, looking it up on Google.
wink_face.gif

But since you cannot see it, it is NOT a cosmetic change.
Just about any mechanical change you make to the acoustic chamber will change the sound of the headphone.
Edit:
Who knows, maybe the Cardan piece tames the acoustic peak at 3-4 kHz.  Your hearing would be very sensitive to any change at 3-4 kHz.
The little boost in bass would account for the additional warmth in the Q701.

Obviously this is NOT a radical change in sound, as anyone who has listened to both can hear they are related in sound but different sounding.
As an example, the Beyer DT770/880 and 990 all use the same driver but the enclosures are quite different and the headphones do sound different.

You are the guy who provided the link to the two Service Manuals and now you are arguing with your own evidence.
You see what you want to see and ignore the other evidence.

I am arguing with my own evidence? You see an extra "cardan piece" listed and you think that means the headphones are voiced differently, despite the frequency responses being audibly the same? You don't even know what it does, or if it is even different from the k702 (for all we know they grouped the cardan pieces together when listing them).
If AKG actually voiced the q701 differently than the k702, don't you think AKG would have said something about it?

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #244 of 9,602
Tyll's interpretation of the measurements that someone linked is that they were effectively the same and perceptually identical as far as he was concerned.

Likewise, AKG have not said that they revoiced the headphones. Besides, if they improved their processes wouldn't they retrospectively apply them to their older models that use the same drivers and casing? It would seem to make no sense at all maintaining two production lines, one producing "old" drivers using older methods and the other producing "new" drivers? Why not shove them into both?

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #245 of 9,602

Quote:
Tyll's interpretation of the measurements that someone linked is that they were effectively the same and perceptually identical as far as he was concerned.

Likewise, AKG have not said that they revoiced the headphones. Besides, if they improved their processes wouldn't they retrospectively apply them to their older models that use the same drivers and casing? It would seem to make no sense at all maintaining two production lines, one producing "old" drivers using older methods and the other producing "new" drivers? Why not shove them into both?

I think someone once posted a link before that AKG claims they did change the sound of the Q701 a bit. Could have just been marketing BS, but they do sound slightly different. Mostly just improved in some areas. I don't know if I'd call it 'revoiced". I think some are wrongly thinking perhaps the changes are bigger than they really are. All along I've said it's just maybe a 10% improvement. That's quite large to me.

My idea was a combination of a possible new cable, those Cardan pieces and the button. Until someone figures out the reason behind the change, we'll never know and anyone can just guess.

I don't know why everyone cares so much about one guy (Tyll) thinking they sound the same. I mean, this is one person. I mean does he have golden ears or something? Just because one man says they're the same doesn't mean they are.

You'd think if they were the same we'd have more than a whole two people who had both and claimed they're the same. Tyll and Zombie_X I believe.

I think AKG must update all their headphones with slight improvements when required. Just look at the K271 and the K272HD. Aren't these also supposed to be the same with the same driver? I'm surprised people don't argue about this either, but those aren't as popular around here it seems.

EDIT:
For my own amusement today I compared the stock K702 cable with the Q701. Can't hear any difference at all (yet), so there goes that idea. I thought maybe the Q701 wire was perhaps thicker inside or something. The stock cables  just sound so much different than the plain old Belden copper cable I have. Never thought I'd actually be a fan of any stock cable, but the AKG cables are good!

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #246 of 9,602

Quote:

I don't know why everyone cares so much about one guy (Tyll) thinking they sound the same. I mean, this is one person. I mean does he have golden ears or something? Just because one man says they're the same doesn't mean they are.

Indeed.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #247 of 9,602
Never had the K702, but I am loving my Q701's. I've only got about 25 hours on these, but this is going to end up being my favorite open phone - and I did not think these would impress me as much as my beloved Sennheiser 598! I'm amping these with my E7/E9 and they are so responsive to all that power, although 10 o'clock on the volume dial is my max. This thread got me interested in trying these, glad I took the plunge...
k701smile.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #248 of 9,602

Quote:
Never had the K702, but I am loving my Q701's. I've only got about 25 hours on these, but this is going to end up being my favorite open phone - and I did not think these would impress me as much as my beloved Sennheiser 598! I'm amping these with my E7/E9 and they are so responsive to all that power, although 10 o'clock on the volume dial is my max. This thread got me interested in trying these, glad I took the plunge...
k701smile.gif

HD-598 and the Q701 are my two favorite open headphones right now. HD-598 I find a little warmer (but not by much) and it's mids are a little thicker I guess you could say. There is a big enough difference between the two to keep both. My HD-598 is a keeper because it does female vocals so well. I stopped trying to compare them since both are just so good. 598 is better for very bad recordings. Luckily I weeded those out though.

Q701 is just a bit more clear, detailed and more accurate I think. This of course means it's not quite as forgiving, but that's OK. The HD-598 often takes the rough edges off some harsh recordings too, but not too badly.

With SOME music the 598 is a little more engaging, but I use both about equally. Q701 I also use as my gaming headphone. I'm about 60 hours into Skyrim with the Q701.

It's weird thinking that my Q701 is ALMOST as warm as my HD-598 (only when recabled) with my setup. What the heck?! Even with a smaller amp like my Total Airhead, it's not much different.

I gave the E9 another try with the Q701 the other day. Sounds very good when I switched to a more neutral source. I had set up this bedroom setup and my stupid Ipod Touch must be broke or something because even from a LOD it has this weird slightly V-shape signature?! I did have to solder my dock to fix it and maybe I screwed it up.

Right now I've been listening to my Q701 for the last few hours. Trying to figure out if I like the stock or Belden cable better. I was listening to Utada Hikaru's unplugged live album and I'm surprised how good it is on the Q701. It seems like the soundstage is slightly more accurate with this cheapy Belden cable. Weird. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who think wire can improve the soundstage of a headphone....

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #250 of 9,602

Quote:
  Sorry Tdock, I couldn't resist.
tongue_smile.gif

It's ok, I've made my share of Q701 jokes too.
I actually think the Q701 sounds so good because each driver was individually tested and authorized by Quincy Jones himself.
biggrin.gif

Someone can prove me wrong if they want! Rumors are that he now works at the AKG factory. There is a Youtube video from AKG where at the 1:25 mark you can see him in the background if you look closely. Kind of weirded me out.

BTW AKG should have no part in fashion. The Q701 is one goofy looking headphone. Doesn't mean I don't like it! I just wouldn't wear it in public..or even in my own yard.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #251 of 9,602

Quote:
It's ok, I've made my share of Q701 jokes too.
I actually think the Q701 sounds so good because each driver was individually tested and authorized by Quincy Jones himself.
biggrin.gif

Someone can prove me wrong if they want! Rumors are that he now works at the AKG factory. There is a Youtube video from AKG where at the 1:25 mark you can see him in the background if you look closely. Kind of weirded me out.

BTW AKG should have no part in fashion. The Q701 is one goofy looking headphone. Doesn't mean I don't like it! I just wouldn't wear it in public..or even in my own yard.

Hey, if it's good enough for a runway model, then it should be good enough for you to wear on the street.
wink.gif
  Seriously, I enjoyed the Q701 when I had it, especially the very deep and articulate bass.  I think I might get it again in the not too distant future.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #252 of 9,602

Quote:

I am arguing with my own evidence? You see an extra "cardan piece" listed and you think that means the headphones are voiced differently, despite the frequency responses being audibly the same? You don't even know what it does, or if it is even different from the k702 (for all we know they grouped the cardan pieces together when listing them).
If AKG actually voiced the q701 differently than the k702, don't you think AKG would have said something about it?

OK, you're a genius, we're all idiots.
Happy?

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #253 of 9,602

Quote:

There is a Youtube video from AKG where at the 1:25 mark you can see him in the background if you look closely. Kind of weirded me out.

LOL, can you imagine that "how headphones are made" video with Quincy sitting in the factory assembling all the Q701s by hand.

Or it's like charlie and the chocolate headphone factory with a bunch of Quincy Jones oompah loompahs building headphones.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #254 of 9,602
Just got my q701's today.  Loving them so far.  Am I the only person who loves these for metal?  

Pantera - 13 steps to nowhere sounds amazing.  The drums in the beginning just move all around your head.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #255 of 9,602

Quote:
Just got my q701's today.  Loving them so far.  Am I the only person who loves these for metal?  

Pantera - 13 steps to nowhere sounds amazing.  The drums in the beginning just move all around your head.  

I enjoy my K702 with metal too ^^ the airy guitars is fun 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back