Q701 impressions thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #226 of 9,602

Quote:
I've posted specs, measurements, and professional reviews contradicting your claims. You've done little to defend your claims other than point out that there are headphones I dislike... congrats.

This doesn't mean anything. Is this supposed to be proof of anything? No. Give me actual proof and then we can talk. What I'm hearing with my own ears is all that matters. I can't listen to the K702 and I'm perfectly happy with the Q701. That's all the proof I need. I've owned the K702 at least 3 times and they all sounded the same. All 3 of them had issues and I even tried many different sources and amps. Even burned them in for 100+ hours.

Why would I need to defend my claims? Do I even care? I have no interest in trying to prove what my ears are hearing. All I can do is tell people what they sound like to my ears. I think they're smart enough to do their own research before buying a headphone. If they feel they sound the same, then who cares? I don't.

Seriously I don't know if you're trolling or what. You keep trying to convince us that they're both the same, yet you haven't even heard them. That's funny. Not even the K702! This is no different than those bashing Bose, Skullcandy or Monster without even bothering to listen to them first.

I don't personally attack people here. I only pointed out your reviews because most of your comments in them are troll-like. I mean seriously, maybe you should go back and read some of your comments to people in them. I just have a hard time taking any of your comments seriously based on your reviews and comments. That's the only reason I pointed them out.

I really wish people would quit being stupid and stop commenting on headphones they haven't heard. Why do you so blindly trust all these so called measurements and "professional reviews"? As if that was any sort of proof...None of measurements are even the same. Many of the improvements of the Q701 aren't even measurable. If we all went by measurements, you'd think the DT-880 and HD-600 would sound exactly the same, but are complete opposites. How do you measure how warm sounding a headphone is? How about how large and accurate a headphone's soundstage is? Sure, you can show the differences in treble, but this really doesn't always mean much. There's a ton of treble happy headphones that should bother my ears, but don't. Yet some with less treble actually do. Graphs don't mean much at all really.

It really is amusing how some are so willing to trust measurements and single "professional" reviews as to what a headphone will sound like. It makes no sense! None of us have the same hearing. Why do you think some people say the M50 doesn't have enough bass or the HD-650 is too bright? Nobody on here can ever agree on what a headphone sounds like. I guess you haven't figured this out yet..I learned to stop trusting reviews and graphs a long time ago...I use my own ears and and then sell them if I don't like it's signature. I usually try to get an idea of what a headphones sound signature MIGHT be like based on listening impressions of lots of different people. Even then there is no guarantee I will like it. Q701 is the rare headphone where I ignored everyone's guesses about what it sounded like (like yours) and just tried it out for myself. I'm really glad I did.

Not going to reply any more on this..people can listen to them and decide for themselves if there is any difference. The Q701 is the same price as the K702 now, so what's the big deal? If anyone has them and don't think there is, then feel free to post here. Doesn't matter much to me, but would definitely help others decide. Loving my q701 and that's really all I care about.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #227 of 9,602

Quote:
You guys might find this at least mildly interesting:
http://us.akg.com/akg-news-item-us/~/item/akg-walks-the-catwalk-at-the-paris-fashion-week.html

No cables on the catwalk, I see...

stupid

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #229 of 9,602

Quote:
This doesn't mean anything. Is this supposed to be proof of anything? No. Give me actual proof and then we can talk. What I'm hearing with my own ears is all that matters. I can't listen to the K702 and I'm perfectly happy with the Q701. That's all the proof I need. I've owned the K702 at least 3 times and they all sounded the same. All 3 of them had issues and I even tried many different sources and amps. Even burned them in for 100+ hours.

Why would I need to defend my claims? Do I even care? I have no interest in trying to prove what my ears are hearing. All I can do is tell people what they sound like to my ears. I think they're smart enough to do their own research before buying a headphone. If they feel they sound the same, then who cares? I don't.

Seriously I don't know if you're trolling or what. You keep trying to convince us that they're both the same, yet you haven't even heard them. That's funny. Not even the K702! This is no different than those bashing Bose, Skullcandy or Monster without even bothering to listen to them first.

I don't personally attack people here. I only pointed out your reviews because most of your comments in them are troll-like. I mean seriously, maybe you should go back and read some of your comments to people in them. I just have a hard time taking any of your comments seriously based on your reviews and comments. That's the only reason I pointed them out.

I really wish people would quit being stupid and stop commenting on headphones they haven't heard. Why do you so blindly trust all these so called measurements and "professional reviews"? As if that was any sort of proof...None of measurements are even the same. Many of the improvements of the Q701 aren't even measurable. If we all went by measurements, you'd think the DT-880 and HD-600 would sound exactly the same, but are complete opposites. How do you measure how warm sounding a headphone is? How about how large and accurate a headphone's soundstage is? Sure, you can show the differences in treble, but this really doesn't always mean much. There's a ton of treble happy headphones that should bother my ears, but don't. Yet some with less treble actually do. Graphs don't mean much at all really.

It really is amusing how some are so willing to trust measurements and single "professional" reviews as to what a headphone will sound like. It makes no sense! None of us have the same hearing. Why do you think some people say the M50 doesn't have enough bass or the HD-650 is too bright? Nobody on here can ever agree on what a headphone sounds like. I guess you haven't figured this out yet..I learned to stop trusting reviews and graphs a long time ago...I use my own ears and and then sell them if I don't like it's signature. I usually try to get an idea of what a headphones sound signature MIGHT be like based on listening impressions of lots of different people. Even then there is no guarantee I will like it. Q701 is the rare headphone where I ignored everyone's guesses about what it sounded like (like yours) and just tried it out for myself. I'm really glad I did.

Not going to reply any more on this..people can listen to them and decide for themselves if there is any difference. The Q701 is the same price as the K702 now, so what's the big deal? If anyone has them and don't think there is, then feel free to post here. Doesn't matter much to me, but would definitely help others decide. Loving my q701 and that's really all I care about.

First of all, I never claimed that you can't hear differences. I was very careful not to say that. I said that there are other reasons they might sound different to you (even though you haven't done any double blind listening tests).

I am not commenting on these headphones in any subjective sense. I haven't heard them, but it doesn't matter, because they are the same headphone when it comes to audio based on the technical specs. That is a fact.

It is a well known fact that people tend to think expensive gear sounds better than cheaper gear. Here is an interesting article: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #230 of 9,602

Quote:
It is a well known fact that people tend to think expensive gear sounds better than cheaper gear. Here is an interesting article: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

BTW if you're referring to the Q701, they're actually now the same price as the K702. Luckily nobody can now say they're $100 more just for a new color! I bought my pair as a like new pair for $244. It wasn't even opened and just had a dent in the box. It is true that they charged up to $300 for them when new.

I'm careful not to suggest to people with a K702 to go out and buy the q701 as an upgrade. For those that don't have a K702 already, the Q701 is the one to get. One reason I posted my impressions is that anyone who has issues with the K702 should give the Q701 a try despite these technical specs.

Don't care much about technical specs. People say the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are the same too, but sound very different. I believe they have very slightly different specs, but 90% seem to think they're the same.

It seems that AKG makes slight improvements with every "upgrade" of their headphones. They did this with the K271 and the K272HD. I think there is very, very minor differences perhaps with the K701 and K702. I DID hear this "plasticky" sound with the K701, but somehow not with the K702. Not sure why. I do think the K701 and K702 are basically the same thing. About 95% the same.

I always felt that AKG must have compiled a list of tiny issues with the K702 people had and then fixed them. Very minor things. Like as found in this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589397/hd-598-or-akg-q701/45#post_8057778

Then the thinner sound with very little body to it. Thankfully the Q701 never sound thin or lacking on any amp. About time!

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #232 of 9,602
I wouldn't put too much thought into the "controversy."

For starters, some people don't like the sound signature of the 701/702.  I don't see how or why that should have anything to do with the rest of us.

And then there's the issue of whether or not there are substantial differences between the K701, K702, and Q701.  There are many arguments to be made that they are or are not the same headphone.  I have my own opinions, but for the sake of making my point I won't share them.  What I do know for sure is that I enjoy my Q701 very much, and for the same money I could have had any of the three models.  One of these days I will have a proper roundup.  Till then, I will not take the time to wonder what the differences are going to be.

Unless by "controversy," you mean which color Q701 is the best, and that's not up for debate: it's black.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #233 of 9,602

Quote:
I wouldn't put too much thought into the "controversy."

For starters, some people don't like the sound signature of the 701/702.  I don't see how or why that should have anything to do with the rest of us.

And then there's the issue of whether or not there are substantial differences between the K701, K702, and Q701.  There are many arguments to be made that they are or are not the same headphone.  I have my own opinions, but for the sake of making my point I won't share them.  What I do know for sure is that I enjoy my Q701 very much, and for the same money I could have had any of the three models.  One of these days I will have a proper roundup.  Till then, I will not take the time to wonder what the differences are going to be.

Unless by "controversy," you mean which color Q701 is the best, and that's not up for debate: it's black.

I think the choice of color is just as subjective as the audio section. 
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #234 of 9,602

The drivers are the same, but mechanically the enclosures are NOT the same:

Quote:
There are several differences when you compare the K702 Bill of Material to the Q701 Bill of Material.
I suspect most of them are due to the fact that the K702 looks a bit different.
But there is one difference which probably accounts for the difference in sound.
K702 has item # 14, the "Cardan Piece"
Q701 has items # 14 and 15, two "Cardan Pieces".  Item #15 is an additional "Cardan piece".
This in addition to the infamous "Q" button on the grid piece.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #236 of 9,602

Quote:
Which begs the question, "How does that change the sound?" (not having the slightest idea what a cardan piece is)

Same here, the Q701 apparently has the same driver, yet I can hear a sound difference (others may not). due to the housing?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #237 of 9,602

Quote:
Same here, the Q701 apparently has the same driver, yet I can hear a sound difference (others may not). due to the housing?

Same driver does not mean it was voiced identically.

Companies do this left and right

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #239 of 9,602

Quote:
No, but the fact that they have the same frequency response means they are voiced identically.

Once again...all this coming from the guy who hasn't heard either of them!
It's the same thing over and over again...

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #240 of 9,602

Quote:
No, but the fact that they have the same frequency response means they are voiced identically.

True.

Didn't we see some differences in the graphs you provided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back