Q701 impressions thread
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7,576 of 9,602
Again with the exaggerated post style.

I know what you're trying to do, it's not going to work.

Yes, it is clear that you are beyond taking responsibility for making your phones microphonic.

When you are wrong, you attack the one who points it out. Classic logical fallacy. Want to play some more?

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #7,577 of 9,602
  Anyone with black and white versions of the Austrian and China  made 701s give some feedback on creaking noises please?

I have the white China made ones and as you know the white is glossy plastic as ar ethe green I think. The black are in matte textured finish and don't appear to creak when pressed especially around the cable socket area.

Here's a video of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2X-kjgZXu4

That video made me cringe, at 17s especially!  If you tried to do that with mine I'd slap you. 

When you grab the connector and move it around like you do, you're clearly not taking into consideration their normal usage.  When you put on the headphones and use them normally, there is no lateral or twisting force on the connector.  So when you grab it and twist it in the same fashion you'd do if you'd want to break it off, it's not really a relevant test and worse, because the headphones were not designed to withstand such twisting motion, you're likely to damage the headphones.  And guess what, once damaged, they'll make the same creaking noise yours make.

I guess I'm also in the camp of "the problem is you".  Some people are just...  Crude.  Think lumberjack or construction worker vs chemist or physicist.  Now maybe you really didn't apply as much force as you appear to have applied, which would be a good thing because that video just makes it look stupid; as if you're trying to damage the headphones.  If you really only applied a tiny bit of force and they made that noise, seems like they were previously damaged or suffer from some manufacturing defect. 

But in all honesty, just looks like you're trying to destroy them.  :p  Who do you call in that case anyway?  Any organization focuses protecting on poor abused headphones?  :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #7,578 of 9,602
That video made me cringe, at 17s especially! 

Something sounds like it is snapping at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2X-kjgZXu4#t=16

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #7,579 of 9,602

Holy **** dude...

Ok. Jeez. Uhh.
Ok.
Everything was okay until 0:15. At least calmly apply pressure... Not try to rip it.

I attempted doing the same actions you did on the video, except with a tad less pressure in fear of actually breaking my headphones.
I have no creaking whatsoever, and it's the Austrian version, and mine are third hand. Except some scratching in the left earcup when rotating them, maybe due to wear.
However, send this to an AKG representative and see what they think. Stop trying to murder your headphones please.
Edit: Do whatever you want, but it hurts me to see headphones getting treated like this...

I didn't apply any pressure, that's my whole point. Do you really think it is as that other guy posted above, that  I was applying force to it? The sounds you hear are plastic bits rubbing against each other. Like Is aid many times already, you  have to use MORE force in taking out the cable plug by comparison.

nothing is broken, nothing is cracked and nothing like that is going to happen. My Q701s creak like that and as one guy has already confirmed, his do too. How hard is that to understand!

I don't care what it sounds like, I'm giving a demonstration of what it is like without having to force anything.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #7,580 of 9,602

I didn't apply any pressure, that's my whole point. Do you really think it is as that other guy posted above, that  I was applying force to it? The sounds you hear are plastic bits rubbing against each other. Like Is aid many times already, you  have to use MORE force in taking out the cable plug by comparison.

nothing is broken, nothing is cracked and nothing like that is going to happen. My Q701s creak like that and as one guy has already confirmed, his do too. How hard is that to understand!

I don't care what it sounds like, I'm giving a demonstration of what it is like without having to force anything.

I think the members here would be less outraged if you had posted a video of yourself manhandling a kitten rather than a pair of headphones
biggrin.gif
.  The Q701 would be incredibly fragile if something as simple as wiggling the connector was capable of physically destroying it.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #7,581 of 9,602
  I think the members here would be less outraged if you had posted a video of yourself manhandling a kitten rather than a pair of headphones
biggrin.gif
.  The Q701 would be incredibly fragile if something as simple as wiggling the connector was capable of physically destroying it.

Exactly :p I feel like my games console controllers will break more easily than the Q701, they are built to last it's just that the way they've been built doesn't reflect the price they command. Doesn't mean they will break suddenly though :p

Okay they're certainly not going to come anywhere close to the Fidelio X1 but you get the idea!

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #7,583 of 9,602
Hi everyone, I'm a new member (and not a native speaker). I'm thinking of buying a pair of Q701 to pair with O2/ODAC, but I'm also afraid that the amp cannot drive the Q701 (narrow soundstage, lack of details). Can anyone with experiences please advise me on this? 
Oh and this question might have been asked over and over again but from what I heard, the Q701 is more musical (better for enjoyment, rather than producing) than the K701 and K702. Is this true?
Thank you.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #7,584 of 9,602
  Hi everyone, I'm a new member (and not a native speaker). I'm thinking of buying a pair of Q701 to pair with O2/ODAC, but I'm also afraid that the amp cannot drive the Q701 (narrow soundstage, lack of details). Can anyone with experiences please advise me on this? 
Oh and this question might have been asked over and over again but from what I heard, the Q701 is more musical (better for enjoyment, rather than producing) than the K701 and K702. Is this true?
Thank you.

LET ME SHOW OFF MY AWESOME SKILLS OF AUDIO-FOOLISHNESS TO YOU!!!!

The Q701's are definitely a musical headphone compared to the K701 due to the addition of some warmth and bass that makes the AKG series a bit more enjoyable.
I can not answer if it's more musical than the K702 because I've never listened to one.
The amplifier of the O2/ODAC can definitely drive the Q701 to full power. The ODAC is a neutral DAC according to most people and has very good detail retrieval and soundstage.
ODAC/O2 can be found for cheap and are one of the very good budget setups out there.

Edit: 
This might help you http://www.head-fi.org/t/655082/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-65th-anniversary-comparison-review

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #7,585 of 9,602
Thank you for your informative post :) I already have the O2/ODAC and am really looking for a pair of Q701s. The AKG flagships all look really nice, but too expensive here.

The link you gave is also quite interesting. I'm not sure if it's worth such a huge increase in price with the reason being mostly pads...

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #7,586 of 9,602
A site that pools buyers' money to obtain goods at attractive prices (whose name I apparently cannot use here) currently has a good price on Q701s. Check it out and see what shipping costs would be to your country (you would also have to take customs charges into consideration)
Edit: I am told this ended yesterday, although I received the email notification today

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7,587 of 9,602
A site that pools buyers' money to obtain goods at attractive prices (whose name I apparently cannot use here) currently has a good price on Q701s. Check it out and see what shipping costs would be to your country (you would also have to take customs charges into consideration)
Edit: I am told this ended yesterday, although I received the email notification today

it started and ended yesterday. A little late bud.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #7,588 of 9,602

Your post will be edited or deleted, as mentioning that site on Head-Fi is no go territory.  You can edit, or the mods will.  Just thought you should know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back