Q701 impressions thread
May 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #6,751 of 9,602

Thanks.  I really like the stock pads, and use them on my HE-500s.  Easily the best for me with those cans, having tried six different pads.  Can you be more specific about how they're better than the stock pads with the Qs?  I didn't like the Annies at all, but they were really comfortable.  Are you using the bass port mod?  I'm thinking I might try them again, esp. now that my rig is far better than when I tested them.

re: leather, is your usual listening environment relatively cool, temperature-wise?  Mine is not, unfortunately, so pleather is unpleasant.  I'll have a look around for the J-moneys.

TIA.

Yeah they are bass modded, I just like the seal of the leather, the added sub-bass and the dulling of the highs a bit.

May 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #6,755 of 9,602
I would guess hand washing or soaking them in lukewarm water with a little mild baby soap; it would probably not be worth dry cleaning them.

May 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6,757 of 9,602
Hey all, I've been planning on building a Bottlehead Crack for a little while now but I decided to do some more research and found many saying that the Q701 and the Crack aren't a good pair. Anyone have any personal experience with the combo?

May 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #6,758 of 9,602
I have tried Crack and Q701 and the Crack is definitely not the amp for Q701 (62ohm)cos it has very high output impedance >120ohm. Don't build crack unless using it with high impedance headphones, such as HD600/650, Dt880/990 >250ohm/ t90, etc.

May 16, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #6,759 of 9,602
I have tried Crack and Q701 and the Crack is definitely not the amp for Q701 (62ohm)cos it has very high output impedance >120ohm. Don't build crack unless using it with high impedance headphones, such as HD600/650, Dt880/990 >250ohm/ t90, etc.

Well shoot, I've heard that the S.E.X. is a better fit for them. Looks like I'll have to go that route, though it's quite a bit more expensive. 

May 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #6,760 of 9,602
That's true. Sex and sex 2.1 upgraded kit can be considered as one of the very best end-game amp which can literally drive almost every headphones. Wrap one if you can afford it and don't have to worry again if you want to upgrade to Flagships in the future. Good luck with the build.

Benjamin

May 17, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #6,761 of 9,602
I've found a new way to appreciate the Q701s - don't use them :wink:

For a while anyway, because when you come back to them from whatever HPs you've been listening to they just sound astounding.

I've been a month without the Qs for various reasons, work, needing to go back to the UK, etc, and been using my HD25s exclusively during this time. Just this morning I finally have had the time to sit down in my office at home and put the Qs back to work, and my god - the space, air, and detail these phones deliver is phenomenal.

May 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #6,762 of 9,602
I've found a new way to appreciate the Q701s - don't use them
wink.gif

For a while anyway, because when you come back to them from whatever HPs you've been listening to they just sound astounding.

I've been a month without the Qs for various reasons, work, needing to go back to the UK, etc, and been using my HD25s exclusively during this time. Just this morning I finally have had the time to sit down in my office at home and put the Qs back to work, and my god - the space, air, and detail these phones deliver is phenomenal.

Lol, that can be said about anything good. It's less special if it's more common.

May 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #6,763 of 9,602

I haven't heard/read about the crack/Q701 pairing, but if there's an issue I doubt it's due to output impedance.

First question: can you state what high output impedance does to a Q701? Very little in fact, as the Q701's impedance response curves is nearly linear across the frequency spectrum (check headroom.com graphs on impedance curves). So as long as the amp has enough current to supply the headphone as it pulses, then you ought to hear very little distortion. Several Sennheisers and some other headphones have a fairly large spike in elevated impedance response at midbass frequencies, so on those headphones the bass gets boosted, sometimes to the point of bloating.

I use my Q701 with my receiver sometimes; that headphone jack has about 120 ohms output impedance, but it sounds fine/good with my Q701. If the Crack doesn't pair well with Q701's, then there's probably something else about the design implementation that isn't good synergy with the headphone.

Edit:
You ought to check out DigitalFreak's Vali review and video he just posted: http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-vali/reviews/11018

May 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #6,764 of 9,602
I've found a new way to appreciate the Q701s - don't use them
wink.gif

I'm with you on this one.  I've been trying out a bunch of new headphones trying to find something with a closed back that I can use at work.  The more headphones I try, the more I like the Q701.  For a while there I didn't really listen to them for like a week.  I'd spent a lot of time with my Mad Dogs, which are super dark.  Once I went back to the Q701, it was a re-revelation. 

In fact, it made me realize that I need to stop hunting for something "different" or "better".  I love my Q701 and Matrix M-Stage combination at home and I have no need to replace it or upgrade any time soon.  (Okay, maybe I'll splurge on a K712 at some point if I find a smoking deal.)  It's a good feeling to realize that I don't need to hunt for the perfect amp or opamp or DAC or whatever. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back