Q701 impressions thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #6,062 of 9,602

No problem at all. I did a comparison side by side some time ago, as I owned two Q's at the same time, and one of them was modded while the other one was stock. It basically boost the bass. There is a very very subtle kick on the low mids as well that very slightly modify male vocals but, honestly, it was so subtle that I needed a sided by side comparison to realize it. The end of the story is that now I have two modded Q's instead of just one because if you have the same on the same table you might want to listen to a specific one, but if you have one at home and another one at work, you end missing the modded Q's (at least in my case). Either way, you can EQ it down if you eventually prefer a more laid back sound signature (which is something that I hardly ever miss). In fact, as I said, I usually add a little bit more of bass, and I don't consider myself a basshead.

Or you can mod it back with painter tape. 
L3000.gif

+1 for all that, esp. the painter's tape!  (oh, how I feel like an evangelist, preaching about the wonders of Blue Painter's Tape!
wink.gif
)

One thing you can try is to cover the ports with other, looser or more porous materials.  I've tried different foams, real and synthetic felt and who knows what else.  Maybe I should try my wife's cosmetic cotton pads.  They might fit nicely in that space.  This covering method can be used if you find the fully open ports too bassy, or if you just want to hear how tweakable it can be.

ATM I'm using Blue Painter's Tape with a pin hole poked in the middle.  I'm not sure there's that much of a difference with fully open, as the port isn't that big, and the pin was not tiny.  Maybe a little less.

Mod on!

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #6,063 of 9,602
It's a standard bayonet mount. Where's my hammer...

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #6,064 of 9,602
That was a joke. I got them off without removing the two wee screws by rifling my wife's make-up bag for tweezers.

Right, first impressions...

I've been listening all morning to Ten New Songs by Leonard Cohen. This is a fantastic recording BTW and basically 10 duets with Sharon Robinson. I've been using bass boost to get Leonards voice down where it should be. An unfortunate side - effect of that is that Sharons voice disappears. Not any more! Now both voices are in their own space - nice. I'm using Neutron with EQ flat and this is the best I've heard this album.

Oh, this is much better. It does just touch the lower mids a bit. It seems to add just a bit more air to the recording. Jack Johnson is coming across well too. Very nice.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6,065 of 9,602
I have been pleased with my k702's from day one.  While I think an amp would be a welcome addition to anyone's setup, running from my laptop via X-fi USB gives fine results. 

Sometimes I don't want to take my good gear places where it might be subjected to undue stress or theft, and my X-fi works great.  Perhaps it's not as refined, but for the money I haven't seen better options. 

Note that I'm not recommending a Creative product over a dedicated headphone amp, especially with valves.  Sometimes we have to think intended use, rather than "best product". 

Not running from an amp!
OMG!
Heretic!

Guards!
Seize him!

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #6,066 of 9,602
That was a joke. I got them off without removing the two wee screws by rifling my wife's make-up bag for tweezers.

Right, first impressions...

I've been listening all morning to Ten New Songs by Leonard Cohen. This is a fantastic recording BTW and basically 10 duets with Sharon Robinson. I've been using bass boost to get Leonards voice down where it should be. An unfortunate side - effect of that is that Sharons voice disappears. Not any more! Now both voices are in their own space - nice. I'm using Neutron with EQ flat and this is the best I've heard this album.

Oh, this is much better. It does just touch the lower mids a bit. It seems to add just a bit more air to the recording. Jack Johnson is coming across well too. Very nice.

Nice, glad you like it. Now just lay back and enjoy the "awesomeness" of the modded Q's as I'm doing right now. 
L3000.gif

I have been pleased with my k702's from day one.  While I think an amp would be a welcome addition to anyone's setup, running from my laptop via X-fi USB gives fine results. 
  Sometimes I don't want to take my good gear places where it might be subjected to undue stress or theft, and my X-fi works great.  Perhaps it's not as refined, but for the money I haven't seen better options. 

Note that I'm not recommending a Creative product over a dedicated headphone amp, especially with valves.  Sometimes we have to think intended use, rather than "best product". 

Not running from an amp!
OMG!
Heretic!

Guards!
Seize him!

LOL! 
biggrin.gif

deadhorse.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,067 of 9,602
This really is quite a lot better than stock eh? I'd love to understand the reasoning behind AKG blocking those ports in the first place.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,068 of 9,602
This really is quite a lot better than stock eh? I'd love to understand the reasoning behind AKG blocking those ports in the first place.

Me too. It definitely sounds better with the ports open. Extra bass with better low end extension, and from what I hear myself it makes the sound stage seem deeper which is an added benefit as well. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #6,069 of 9,602
Okay okay, I'm convinced.  I'm going to try this mod tonight!

On another topic, I just want to gush for a minute here.  These are my first foray into the world of head-fi and I wasn't even planning on buying them.  Through a happy accident, I found a nearly new pair at a local pawn shop for $140 and I couldn't resist at that price.

I've been really REALLY impressed with them for gaming.  The soundstage is massive, the detail retrieval and positional cues make it feel like I'm cheating sometimes; I seriously feel like I was playing with one hand tied behind my back before.

Well last night I hooked them into my PC and started listening to some of my favorite music for the first time since I got them.  I discovered something amazing:  I can now hear how bad 128-192k MP3's sound.  I immediately went and ripped 2 or 3 of my favorite CD's into FLAC and compared them side by side with my MP3's and the difference was noticeable.  Another plus for the Q701!

And the most amazing thing?  I'm hearing new details in old music.  It's like hearing some of this stuff for the first time!  I was in heaven last night.

I still feel like I need more bass for certain music.  But other music was sublime.  "Night Songs" by Michael Brook and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was amazing.  I heard new instruments in "Days to Come" by Bonobo that I'd never heard before.  "Are You Shpongled?" by Shpongle is one of my "desert island" albums.  It's got layers and layers of sound that can get muddied and lost with regular gear.  With the Q's, the bass wasn't where I wanted it, but holy cow could I hear EVERYTHING!  Long quiet passages at the beginning and end of "...And the Day Turned to Night" were suddenly full of subtle sounds and atmosphere.

Anyhow, I still have a pair of Fidelio X1's in international mail.  I'm looking forward to comparing the two as everything I've read makes me think I'll like them more.  But I'm becoming used to the sound of the Q701 and if the X1 sounds better, I'll be pretty impressed.  Either way, I feel like a kid in a candy store.  Amusingly, I think there's room for the Q to improve as it apparently needs amping.  I suspect there's a Schiit Vali in my future...

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #6,070 of 9,602
Okay okay, I'm convinced.  I'm going to try this mod tonight!

On another topic, I just want to gush for a minute here.  These are my first foray into the world of head-fi and I wasn't even planning on buying them.  Through a happy accident, I found a nearly new pair at a local pawn shop for $140 and I couldn't resist at that price.

I've been really REALLY impressed with them for gaming.  The soundstage is massive, the detail retrieval and positional cues make it feel like I'm cheating sometimes; I seriously feel like I was playing with one hand tied behind my back before.

Well last night I hooked them into my PC and started listening to some of my favorite music for the first time since I got them.  I discovered something amazing:  I can now hear how bad 128-192k MP3's sound.  I immediately went and ripped 2 or 3 of my favorite CD's into FLAC and compared them side by side with my MP3's and the difference was noticeable.  Another plus for the Q701!

And the most amazing thing?  I'm hearing new details in old music.  It's like hearing some of this stuff for the first time!  I was in heaven last night.

I still feel like I need more bass for certain music.  But other music was sublime.  "Night Songs" by Michael Brook and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was amazing.  I heard new instruments in "Days to Come" by Bonobo that I'd never heard before.  "Are You Shpongled?" by Shpongle is one of my "desert island" albums.  It's got layers and layers of sound that can get muddied and lost with regular gear.  With the Q's, the bass wasn't where I wanted it, but holy cow could I hear EVERYTHING!  Long quiet passages at the beginning and end of "...And the Day Turned to Night" were suddenly full of subtle sounds and atmosphere.

Anyhow, I still have a pair of Fidelio X1's in international mail.  I'm looking forward to comparing the two as everything I've read makes me think I'll like them more.  But I'm becoming used to the sound of the Q701 and if the X1 sounds better, I'll be pretty impressed.  Either way, I feel like a kid in a candy store.  Amusingly, I think there's room for the Q to improve as it apparently needs amping.  I suspect there's a Schiit Vali in my future...

Anyone taking bets you'll end up with two pairs of headphones? BTW, if you like Shpongle you should have a listen to The Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother. Awesome.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6,071 of 9,602
Anyone taking bets you'll end up with two pairs of headphones? BTW, if you like Shpongle you should have a listen to The Last Days of Gravity by Younger Brother. Awesome.

HA!  I strongly suspect I will end up keeping both, but I may need to sell one to afford an amp.  We'll see if I can sneak it by the wife.

And yeah, I'm a pretty big Simon Posford fan so I'm really familiar with all his work, as well as the rest of the crew at Twisted Records.    I've seen a Younger Brother live set as well as a rare Shpongle live show (as well as plenty of DJ sets).  I actually met my wife at a Shpongle show. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #6,073 of 9,602
Cool. I had never heard of Younger Brother until someone posted the cover of Last Days on a "What I'm listening to" thread over on Hifi Wigwam a few years ago. Now it lives in both my car and my works van. Great driving music.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #6,074 of 9,602
Cool. I had never heard of Younger Brother until someone posted the cover of Last Days on a "What I'm listening to" thread over on Hifi Wigwam a few years ago. Now it lives in both my car and my works van. Great driving music.

You might try some of the other Twisted artists:  Ott and Prometheus are both great too.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #6,075 of 9,602
I'll look into them on Amazon later, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back