Q701 impressions thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #5,401 of 9,602

Hey everyone, just finished a few weeks of headphone testing and finally landed on the Q701, so I thought I'd join in the fun in this (very long) thread! These are unlike anything else I've ever heard. I read a lot of stuff that didn't leave me with high expectations, but these suckers spoke for themselves. I've finally found my ideal mid-fi headphone.

It was between these, the Beyerdynamic DT800, and the Sennheiser HD600. The HD600s and DT800s were both really great--if it had just been between them I would have had a much harder decision--but every time I put the Q701 back on, I couldn't stop grooving to the music. Despite what everyone says, these headphones really made me want to bang my head.

Particularly interesting is that I listen to mostly metal, which even Q701 fans said they wouldn't be good for--but I couldn't disagree more. The mids are just perfect for metal, and the separation and soundstage just make it sound like I'm hearing it for the first time.

The only downside to me was the slight lack of bass. I'm not the basshead I once was, but the Q701 was a bit too toned down in the bass for my tastes. The bass port mod, coupled with a bit of slight EQ, really fixed that right up--now these things are pretty damn perfect. I don't even need to turn on the bass boost on my Fiio E10 anymore.

That bass port mod was a little more daunting than it seemed reading through the thread, but I made it through alive. I definitely had to unscrew the second "layer" of plastic to get at the sticker (as shown in this post) and it was a little nerve wracking, but everything went great.

So thanks for the awesome thread, and I'm proud to be joining the club! Attached is a little pic of my setup to reward you for reading my rant. :)

I agree with you that the Q701 can be good for metal. If you don't listen too loudly and like this kind of sound signature then there is no reason not to use them for metal. I think they really excel at jazz though now that I've been getting more into jazz. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #5,402 of 9,602
  Anybody know of any IEM or portable headphone that has a similar sound signature to the modded Q's?

The Hi-Fi Man RE-Zero sound somewhat close after you add about 3db from 100hz or so and down. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #5,403 of 9,602
  The Hi-Fi Man RE-Zero sound somewhat close after you add about 3db from 100hz or so and down. 

I can't seem to find the RE-Zero for sale in Canada, do you know if the HIFIMAN RE-400 is similar?

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #5,404 of 9,602
  I can't seem to find the RE-Zero for sale in Canada, do you know if the HIFIMAN RE-400 is similar?

The RE-Zero would have to be found used as they are no longer being made. I'm not sure about the RE-400, never heard them.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5,405 of 9,602
  The RE-Zero would have to be found used as they are no longer being made. I'm not sure about the RE-400, never heard them.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,406 of 9,602
  Thanks for the recommendation!

The DBA02/GR01/R50/B2 aren't too far off either, and they can all still be had brand new. They are all TWFK balanced armature. It's really tough for me to listen to an IEM anymore though after getting used to the Q701. No IEM can match the soundstage of the Q701 which is half the fun of the Q.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #5,408 of 9,602
  It was between these, the Beyerdynamic DT800, and the Sennheiser HD600. The HD600s and DT800s were both really great--if it had just been between them I would have had a much harder decision--but every time I put the Q701 back on, I couldn't stop grooving to the music. Despite what everyone says, these headphones really made me want to bang my head.

Particularly interesting is that I listen to mostly metal, which even Q701 fans said they wouldn't be good for--but I couldn't disagree more. The mids are just perfect for metal, and the separation and soundstage just make it sound like I'm hearing it for the first time.

I came to a similar conclusion myself, glad you like them. My metal collection has definitely been getting a lot more head-time lately because of the Q.

Quote:
  It's really tough for me to listen to an IEM anymore though after getting used to the Q701. No IEM can match the soundstage of the Q701 which is half the fun of the Q.

Know how you feel on that one, it takes me a while to adjust when I go back and forth between the Q701 and the UE900s that I have. Even when I get used to their signature I'm still left wanting for that open feel
etysmile.gif

I've looked through this forum and others and didn't see much on it. Does anyone have any experience with the sound of the Q701 split and balanced? I saw a black pair of split modded Qs on ebay for sale a few days ago and it got me thinking, because I was planning on doing a balanced recable with some mogami anywa.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #5,409 of 9,602
With the Q701 dropping in price to $155 from Amazon Warehouse deals, I'm trying to get a friend to buy them as I won't get enough money for a few more months. I'm really freaking out over this deal. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #5,410 of 9,602
  With the Q701 dropping in price to $155 from Amazon Warehouse deals, I'm trying to get a friend to buy them as I won't get enough money for a few more months. I'm really freaking out over this deal. 

That is one hell of a deal mate, try not to miss it!

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #5,411 of 9,602

That is one hell of a deal mate, try not to miss it!

I know! :frowning2: The amp will have to come later though haha. Magni please! 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5,412 of 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

What IS confirmed by a lot of users is the reduction of soundstage width and airyness.

<snip>

Quote:
  With the mod?

Correct, with the mod.

This is putting me off the mod. I wouldn't want to lose any airiness. All I would like is a bit more deep bass.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #5,413 of 9,602

This is putting me off the mod. I wouldn't want to lose any airiness. All I would like is a bit more deep bass.

You could try the mod + foam (either slide a piece over the hole or stuff it in).  It's my happy compromise.  As I'm sure you know, the mod is reversible, so why not try it.

I love how moddable these cans are.  For my ears, the bass port foam mod + wool felt behind the cups (replacing the foam) fleshes out the sound perfectly: meatier bass, sparkling/ringing highs are still there, and plenty of soundstage... for me.

Happy modding 
k701smile.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #5,414 of 9,602
I'm impressed by the Brainwavz Delta. Especially considering the price point.

I was actually considering these especially at that price point, but this review makes me nervous as he listens to some music that I listen to as well:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R8CU9KUGXDY2V/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00FSA8VQ2&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Do you think the bass is unrefined because bass quality is a important to me.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,415 of 9,602
I bought these Q701s as an impulse buy this Christmas holiday sale. I was never planning on buying them but after hearing all the hype I jumped on them. When I got them I listened to them for a good 30 minutes before putting them down. I could not handle the treble. My previous cans had been the D2ks so I was too sensitive for the presentation on the Q701s. As my other headphones kept coming in , HE-400 and HD 650, the 701s didn't get much use. I tended to reach out for the 650s since I loved their warm midrange and comfort. It didn't help that I was coming from the bass heavy Denons so I found the bass on the 701s really underwhelming. When the 650s got a break I would use the HE-400s for that amazing lower end.

The weeks went by and I continued this trend. I then decided that I wanted to combine the best of the HE-400s and HD650s...so I bought a pair of LCD-2s. I've listened to these for about 2 weeks now and just love them. After messing around with my headphone stands I noticed the Q701s were gathering a little dust so I decided to give them another go. My first impressions coming straight from the LCD-2s...wow. The bass on non-heavy bass music is so accurate, the large soundstage no longer bothers me and neither do the highs. The vocals do sound cold but I no longer feel like they are too thin or far away. They carry detail and just the right amount of weight The speed on these cans is also fantastic, they sound very responsive and true to the music.

I think the reason I didn't appreciate these as much as I do now was because I was coming from a background of heavily colored and/or very prominent sound signatures. I can understand the hype now, especially since all of this amazing performance can be had for a price of $220 USD...unfortunately I do love the intimate presentation of the LCD-2s too much to justify keeping the Q701s around. But they really are amazing cans!
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back