Q701 Causing Neck Pain..
May 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

trick

100+ Head-Fier
I was using the A700x and had minor neck pain on occasion. Then I bought the q701. Im finding that the +200g weight is enough to cause pain in 20. It also gets to the point that it creates regular pain. Does anyone have a solution on how to wear heavy headphones without it causing near migraines? The pain is from the muscles in my neck as they meet my head. On both the left and right sides of the spine. Any ideas would be appreciated. I spent a lot on these headphones and am disappointed that I cannot wear them. I usually just use cheap earbuds now rather than dealing with the headaches. (Just to clear any confusion, it is neck pain; but it become painful enough that it feels like the back of my head. It also is connected to the back of my head.)

May 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 10
It sounds like your neck muscles are very sensitive if the A700X was causing problems! I'm guessing that they are just not used to the strain.

Try listening to some Slayer and bulk up.

May 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Lift weights? You don't need the same kind of neck and shoulder muscles as Brock Lesnar or Henry Rollins but your muscles seem kind of weak. Those two are the lightest-feeling headphones I know, unless you deliberately wear them too tight, but even then that only really affects the sensation of their weight, not the actual weight. I'm not sure how that is done on those AKGs since they use a self-adjusting headband. BTW I don't lift either, save for leg weights I wear around the house (helps keep my leg muscles in acceptable condition for basketball and football).

Also what chair are you using? In my case not even an LCD-2 can give me neck pain (but all my sessions with it were at meets and not more than an hour long), but at home I'm slightly more comfortable leaning back on my computer office chair since I rest my head on the shoulder rest (no headrest, I just slouch a bit). The folding director's chair (from the local philharmonic) that I usually use with my gear (which are usually next to my bed, and the chair is either folded up or used as a bag stand) has absolutely no head support but I've sat on it for over one hour straight, no neck pain from my HD600. If your chair however has a high enough back you can use that and lean your head against it, that way it takes some of the weight off your neck.

May 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Lol  I was mostly fine until I got a concussion in rugby and really crushed my neck. I guess I dont have the best posture and that has made problems worse; but I cant seem to put my head at an angle that doesn't cause problems.  I work out a few times a week and I do lift.  Its actually due to muscles in my neck tightening... But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas other than posture; because it doesnt seem to help. If it is related to a lack of muscle, what would you suggest? I do mostly curls, bench press, run, do push-ups, and pull ups.

May 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 10
You're already working out a lot more than I do, so I'd suggest going back to the doctor and have your neck looked at considering you suffered a concussion too. Maybe he can recommend how a physical therapist should work on the problem, as there could be other underlying conditions that while not necessarily lie threatening could be treated so as to minimize if not eliminate the discomfort.

May 30, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Lol  I was mostly fine until I got a concussion in rugby and really crushed my neck. I guess I dont have the best posture and that has made problems worse; but I cant seem to put my head at an angle that doesn't cause problems.  I work out a few times a week and I do lift.  Its actually due to muscles in my neck tightening... But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas other than posture; because it doesnt seem to help. If it is related to a lack of muscle, what would you suggest? I do mostly curls, bench press, run, do push-ups, and pull ups.

I totally believe in full body massages. Now due to your injury I'm actually not recommending them with out a check up.

What I learned is that the body has a way of making muscle tighter to try and pull stuff back, but not always the best results. My Dr said my back was perfect but I also had neck muscle as tight as banjo strings.
He suggested I use one of those pillows they use on airlines to slowly work my neck back to having a slight bow.

Getting a full body massage twice a week for a month can do wonders.

May 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 10
My Slayer comment related to headbanging more than lifting!

Another possibility is muscle memory - for instance I had neck problems as I was using my neck muscles in competition with each other. The muscles at the back are tight to hold my head up, but instead of just loosening these to tip my head forward, I was tightening the ones at the front as well, causing unnecessary strain.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 10
I totally believe in full body massages. Now due to your injury I'm actually not recommending them with out a check up.

What I learned is that the body has a way of making muscle tighter to try and pull stuff back, but not always the best results. My Dr said my back was perfect but I also had neck muscle as tight as banjo strings.
He suggested I use one of those pillows they use on airlines to slowly work my neck back to having a slight bow.

Getting a massage by a full body massage chair twice a week for a month can do wonders.

Also what chair are you using?

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 10
Also what chair are you using?

As much as resting the head against the seatback can help, if he needs to play video games (based on his headphone history I assume this to be the case), even racing games with one of those racing seat equipped cages will make that hard to do.

On top of which he has some kind of neck injury so I'd really much rather go with IEMs or speakers.

Getting a full body massage twice a week for a month can do wonders.

Down here if the massage joint has tinted windows "full body" can mean a more...comprehensive package.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back