Q regarding depositing checks + tiny rant
Jul 6, 2005 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay okay, I have question. Can you deposit someone else's check into your account?

I ask this because normally I put my parent's SSI checks into my student checking account, cause they don't have ones of their own. That is, until today, when this teller said I couldn't do that. Normally I do it all the time, so am I in the wrong or is she? My guess is that I'm not supposed to, even though the tellers usually take the check anyway.

This is the rant part. There were about 20 people including me waiting in line, and this same teller was allowing people who just entered to cut us. She didn't say "you have to get in line" or anything like that. Two different people who just got there were allowed do their business. The people in line were pissed. Half had kids w/ em and or very old, and they obviously had places to be. They didn't start a commotion, but obviously confused why this was happening. I know, not a big deal, but it's just irritation, especially since the bank was closing in less than 20 minutes.

Also, when I went up, she (the teller) looked at me funny. I didn't give it much though. And when I gave her my father's check to deposit, she talked to me as I were a thief, like I stole it or something. It was subtle but there, I've gotten used to reading people in my city. I was deposing some cash too, and she goes in a b**chy manner "you want deposit the money too or do you want it back". I just finished my business, and walked away.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 11
First of all, your parents should get a bank account. Even if you manage it for them and do 99.95% of all business with it. It could be a joint account with you and them. It doesn't matter. Heck, if you were so inclined, you could put them on your account.

Second, I think they can sign a check over to you, but you should talk to your bank's manager about that. You may want them to request a direct deposit to your account. I think they can do that.

The next time you are treated badly, demand to talk to the manager, and if there is no resolution there, close your account. The bank has the use of your money because you trust them, if they violate that trust and fail to rectify, then there is no reason to give them a second chance.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 11
you were within your rights, and you should have complained to the manager.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Okay okay, I have question. Can you deposit someone else's check into your account?

Depends on bank policy.I have noticed in the last couple of years banks are becoming more difficult to work with and at times will not even cash a check made in payment for services rendered if you do not have an actual account there no matter how much I.D. is shown.another asks for a finger print even though they see me every week or so and call me by my first name and chit chat.Still another I had been dealing with for many years would not cash a check for me because my Drivers Liscence had expired ! They knew me,?i had not turned into another person because my lisecncse expired,the picture was still me and just before that valid but no go.
All about local banks/smaller banks being baught up by large banking conglomerates where they being more regional that local (some even national) they don't care one bit about customer relations because they have no ties to the local community.the human touch is replaced with the impersonal (as with most things lately
rolleyes.gif
).
They make the rules from a distance and then pass them on to the employees who have no choice but to either follow those rules or look for new employment.Not usually not the best option if they have a family depending on that salary so they do what they must.
Cut the tellers some slack.Not only is it not their fault but if caught treating customers in a way that is outside of company S.O.P. you will not see that teller again at that bank.Better to send off a letter to headquarters not that it would matter one bit.It may make you feel better though

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Dude, this is totally doable. I have done this many a time. Technically your parent's are spposed to be there when you deposit or cash the check (coming from a teller at my bank) but most will do it anyways because you are their kid and you might be living at their house. Your parents can just endorse on the back of the check and then underneath that they would write "Pay to the order of _____" and then you would endorse it under that. I will do this at least 2 times a month for my mom.

If you really wanted to play it safe, do this. Just have your parents put on your account, my mom is on my account so she can transfer money in and out easily over the phone and at ATM's etc. If you put your parents on your account the bank will do whatever you want with the checks because they can verify their signatures from the endorsement. Not a problem at all.

And PSmith08 is right, next time you get a teller like that just ask for the manager. I had a problem once with a moronic teller not giving me my money after my employer direct deposited my paycheck into a closed account...I was so frustrated, but one of their customer service managers helped me and got everything taken care of for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 11
My parents are from the old country and speak little english, it's hard for them. I think my mom could, but it's a hassle for her. It's just much more convenient for me to do it. My dad pretty much knows only how to record cd-r song compilations with his standalone, I taught him.
tongue.gif

It wasn't too big of a deal, I'm used to having people act like buttholes to me, cause I'm young and how I look. But let's not get into that. Normally the tellers are pretty nice, and just do their job. They always took my parents checks, hell I'd bring my parents with me if need be. (never had to) This girl just looked like she didn't want to be there, which is understandable, but man she wasn't even giving care. Funny, she was "casually" talking to the girl who came a few before me, wasting time. They had a to open another window cause thie line was getting too big. But heh, my city's screwed up, I guess it's normal.

I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, I pick my battles, and this wasn't really worth my time. She may have been a b**ch, but I'd just end up pissing off the people in line if I complained. BTW, I go to bank of america. I'm not sure if I can add my parent's name to my account, is a student banking one.

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It wasn't too big of a deal, I'm used to having people act like buttholes to me, cause I'm young and how I look. But let's not get into that. Normally the tellers are pretty nice, and just do their job. They always took my parents checks, hell I'd bring my parents with me if need be. (never had to) This girl just looked like she didn't want to be there, which is understandable, but man she wasn't even giving care. Funny, she was "casually" talking to the girl who came a few before me, wasting time. They had a to open another window cause thie line was getting too big. But heh, my city's screwed up, I guess it's normal.

You have the right not to be treated like crap because of your appearance and your youth. As a customer of the bank, you should have an especial right there. I, for example, do not cut the most imposing or prepossessing figure, but I'll be a whale's godfather before I'll stand for shabby treatment. Without customers like you, Bank of America wouldn't be where it is. Remember that.

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 11
Understood. But, I'll let it go this time. If they pull this crap again, I may just complain, as futile as it may be. I'm used to this kind of treatment, I know I shouldn't tolerate it, yet I feel this is just part of everyday life, for me.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Here's the deal: When a bank accepts a third party check they are guaranteeing all prior endorsements. Meaning that they are guaranteeing to the drawee bank that the endorsement preceeding yours was endorsed by the payees without recourse. If your parents were not there to endorse the check over to you, in front of the teller, and he/she is unable to identify their endorsement, technically they can choose to not accept the third party check for deposit. And as reclamation on endorsements is 7 years, banks are hesitant to guarantee endorsements.

That said, most deviations to a bank's set policy is based on relationship. If you are presenting the check, they are going to base their decision on your relationship with them. How long have you had your account with them, what is your average balance, do you have a credit card or a loan with them....that type of thing. In essence, if that check were to come back for any reason, will they have recourse with your account. If you have done this with other tellers in the past, they were probably making an exception to policy decision on their own. Maybe they have the authority to do so up to a certain dollar limit, maybe the teller who refused it does not.

My suggestion would be to speak with the Operations Manager, explain your situation, and perhaps have them put some type of notation on your account indicating that it is ok to accept checks payable to Mr. and Mrs. Kirosia for deposit to this account. I would suggest having your parents there with their identification so they may ID their endorsement.

Better yet, add your parents to your account as authorized signers (they don't have to be active signers) and have their checks direct deposited into the account. This will eliminate the issue you had with the teller and with the whole waiting in line thing.
Quote:

BTW, I go to bank of america. I'm not sure if I can add my parent's name to my account, is a student banking one.

I spent 25 years of my career with Bank of America. As long as you are the primary account holder, it should not be a problem. Otherwise, ask them about an account that will give you free checking with Direct Deposit. If you can have your monthly service charge waived because of the Direct Deposit, whether the account is a student account or not is academic (pun intended).

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Do you have a Washington Mutual near you? They have free checking account that does NOT require direct deposit.

I've had accounts with Washington Mutual for about 5 years now. Been very happy with the free checking account.

Now other types of accounts on the other hand......
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 11
It would be worth your time to help your parents get their own bank account, for a lot of reasons. The practical reasons are easy to identify, of course, like what if something happens to you, you end up in hospital, and they cannot access the money in your account? But there are also intangibles too. It would help them to feel like active participants in society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back