Q: Headphone amp as preamp?
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember reading that Tyll said that a headphone amp can be safely used as a high quality preamp. I want to do exactly that, feeding some high quality active ($1300) monitors I just bought.

I have the original Micro Stack (DAC and Micro Amp), but it doesn't have a pre-out. Which gain setting should I use (high/low/med), and how do I know I'm not damaging anything by turning up the volume knob?

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading that Tyll said that a headphone amp can be safely used as a high quality preamp. I want to do exactly that, feeding some high quality active ($1300) monitors I just bought.

I have the original Micro Stack (DAC and Micro Amp), but it doesn't have a pre-out. Which gain setting should I use (high/low/med), and how do I know I'm not damaging anything by turning up the volume knob?

Probably the "med" setting. You won't be damaging anything if you don't hear any clipping. Do the active monitors have volume controls? (Whatcha get! $1300! Must be something pretty cool.)

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the "med" setting. You won't be damaging anything if you don't hear any clipping.

So, for the uninitiated, what does clipping sound like?
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 26
Pretty much like a needle skipping across a record momentarily. Loud crunchy noise at peaks in volume.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 26
Sorry, I'm still new at everything, but when using using the micro stack as a preamp (ultra in my case, but same deal), does the sound quality increase with the speakers, or does it only serve to up the volume?

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Probably the "med" setting. You won't be damaging anything if you don't hear any clipping. Do the active monitors have volume controls? (Whatcha get! $1300! Must be something pretty cool.)

thanks Tyll. My new active monitors are the Dynaudio MC 15 (consumer version of the pro BM5A-Compact) and they don't have a volume setting. I didn't realize that volume control in Windows doesn't affect the Micro DAC so I realized I need to use the Micro Amp as a volume control. The MSRP is $1299 which is indeed spendy, but hey, when have Dynaudio speakers ever come cheap?

Just wondering, is there any advantage to using the Preamp out on the newer Micro Amps compared to going out through the headphone jack?

Pics of course!

dynaudio037fm3.jpg

dynaudio038wx7.jpg

dynaudio032un1.jpg

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Because I bought these speakers and it comes with nice little stands, I won't be need those Headroom stands that I mentioned I would be ordering once they were released

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

I didn't realize that volume control in Windows doesn't affect the Micro DAC so I realized I need to use the Micro Amp as a volume control.

your main volume control should not work but the volume control on whatever software you are using to play your music files with should.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 26
Wow, you got the same setup as me.

Below is a picture of my similar setup

img14112ro9.jpg

I am using a 2006 Micro DAC and a Hornet as a preamp.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you got the same setup as me.
Below is a picture of my similar setup
I am using a 2006 Micro DAC and a Hornet as a preamp.

haha. Nice!

I did cheat thought, the Dinovo Edge is not my normal keyboard I use with my desktop, I use the Edge with my HT normally, but it photographs better here
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 26
Sweet! Those Dynaudios look nice, I thought about auditioning them as one of the speakers to sell, but we decided to go with non-self powered speakers because we wanted to sell the amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Because I bought these speakers and it comes with nice little stands, I won't be need those Headroom stands that I mentioned I would be ordering once they were released

Ahh, well don't think I won't try to tempt you. Because the Dynaudio stands don't really get the speakers too far off the desk surface you will still get a significant first reflection off the desk surface and it will mess with your imaging. Also, because they aren't at ear-height, they won't image properly even if you didn't get a reflection off the desk surface.

Just sayin'

They are very good speakers though.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 26
i am currently running keces da-151 dac and gilmore lite. if i place a corda headsix (high gain) as a preamp between keces and glite, will i hear better sound? or is it even a proper setup?

i am asking this b/c i've read about people who are using pico as a dac+preamp combo that feeds their desktop amps. if that setup works fine, wouldnt keces->headsix->glite work fine as well?

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

thanks Tyll. My new active monitors are the Dynaudio MC 15 (consumer version of the pro BM5A-Compact) and they don't have a volume setting. I didn't realize that volume control in Windows doesn't affect the Micro DAC so I realized I need to use the Micro Amp as a volume control. The MSRP is $1299 which is indeed spendy, but hey, when have Dynaudio speakers ever come cheap?

Just wondering, is there any advantage to using the Preamp out on the newer Micro Amps compared to going out through the headphone jack?

Pics of course!

dynaudio037fm3.jpg

dynaudio038wx7.jpg

dynaudio032un1.jpg

Very nice speakers,how do they sound?

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Ahh, well don't think I won't try to tempt you. Because the Dynaudio stands don't really get the speakers too far off the desk surface you will still get a significant first reflection off the desk

Good to know. I should try it both ways (temporarily put them on a stack of books or something).

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice speakers,how do they sound?

It's a bit early to report on that because they are still breaking in. I like what I hear so far though. Refined, spacious, and detailed. Have no regrets so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back